Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally found a reason for Linux!

• 07-07-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I installed Ubuntu a little over a week ago and have been using it every night since. I say using it, mostly tweaking it. I like that it works and does exactly what it says on the tin, although it's not as easy as WinXP in some regards - if I download an app, I expect a working GUI and a help file, that's not always applicable (for good reason sometimes, but being the Windows luddite I am, that's what I've come to expect).

Up until Friday, I was developing my PHP websites using a mish-mash of CVS, the standard text editor, Google desktop (for searching) and keep (a backup 'solution' I found to be rather lacking). I was feeling frustrated and was contemplating going back to WinXP for development purposes :eek:

However, friday evening, I sumbled on Eclipse and its b*stard 'offspring' EasyEclipse. I now have a full SVN repository, a PHP editor on a par with PHPEdit (and above it in some respects) and full search (and replace across files which I've never seen in an IDE).

Adding a backup solution that works (flyback, thanks to lifehacker), fixing my resolution issues (thanks to ubuntu forums) and various other issues (thanks to boardsies) and I'm about a week away from dumping WinXP for good. On my work machine anyway.

I do find it a little frustrating at times - it's tricky to get things working the way you think they should work, coming from a WinXP background, but anything you have to do to get them to work makes sense, is usually straightforward and chances are someone somewhere has been through what you've been through and come out the other side.

Long Live Linux!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

corblimey wrote: »
    I do find it a little frustrating at times - it's tricky to get things working the way you think they should work, coming from a WinXP background, but anything you have to do to get them to work makes sense, is usually straightforward and chances are someone somewhere has been through what you've been through and come out the other side.
    If you use Ubuntu for a while you will begin to find windows frustrating on those occasions you are forced to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

SkepticOne wrote: »
    If you use Ubuntu for a while you will begin to find windows frustrating on those occasions you are forced to use it.

I found this out recently. It's like "how do I configure this?.....oh wait, I can't"
    corblimey wrote: »
    I'm about a week away from dumping WinXP for good. On my work machine anyway.

That's the way I did it alright. Works well to switch in work first IMO.

Advertisement