Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm the only Spurs fan in the village.

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

For decades, and especially during the barren 90's and post 2000 until Jol arrived, been a Spurs fan has meant being the only Spurs fan in the village. A poor lonely soul following the true faith.

In the past 3 years however there has been the odd Spurs fan appearing down at the pub watching Sky or Setanta. I just hope there's isn't going to be too many fights about who was the original "Only Spurs fan in the village".

I'm the only Spurs fan in the village.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

seanson wrote: »
    For decades, and especially during the barren 90's and post 2000 until Jol arrived, been a Spurs fan has meant being the only Spurs fan in the village. A poor lonely soul following the true faith.

In the past 3 years however there has been the odd Spurs fan appearing down at the pub watching Sky or Setanta. I just hope there's isn't going to be too many fights about who was the original "Only Spurs fan in the village".

I'm the only Spurs fan in the village.;)

I have a couple of PONY jerseys and tracksuits that say otherwise. Some things never go out of fashion...... my wardrobe on the other hand, should be burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I arrived in the Oakwood Arms in Shannon for the Worthless Cup final in my horrible purple away jersey expecting to watch all on my todd only to find about 200 Spurs packed into the bar.

There's more of us than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

There's more of us than you'd think.

Very true,

Also having to weed out the bandwagon element if we start winning stuff consistantly is a small price to pay for long term success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Who cares about those who jump on the bandwagon,they will never get the same joy as us diehards when the mighty Lillywhites are once again at the pinnacle of English football, for those of us who have spent our hard earned cash to watch dross and still had a great day know the true meaning of being a spurs fan and when those trophy winning days come along,those tough times make the taste of victory even sweeter.COYS:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

Talking to a friend who was at the Carling Cup Final, he's isn't a real Spurs fan himself but his sons are, he was struck my the huge contrast betwen the Chelsea support and the Spurs support. The Spurs fans appeared to be hardcore and won battle between the supportors very easily. Chelsea were very much bandwagon in comparison.

Wouldn't mind see a few more Spurs fans around. As yet the young fella is the only Spurs fan in his year. It's good character building stuff. And yes the joy of winning is so much sweeter especially so when you're the only Spurs fan in the village.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

I have a couple of PONY jerseys and tracksuits that say otherwise. Some things never go out of fashion...... my wardrobe on the other hand, should be burned.

PONY??? Ah ya bandwagon-jumper! Real fans are still wearing Hummel (even if the shirt is three sizes too small)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Actually I look like that guy (only gay in the village) in my Hummel top and shorts :D(i think it was a medium when I bought it, and now I am an XL!)

I am part of www.wexfordcoys.com and I must say I still remember our first day of opening and sign up for the club - I was expecting two or three others to turn up, but then all these guys in their Hummel and pony outfits turned up out of the woodwork - we now have an official membership of 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

John W wrote: »
    Actually I look like that guy (only gay in the village) in my Hummel top and shorts :D(i think it was a medium when I bought it, and now I am an XL!)

I am part of www.wexfordcoys.com and I must say I still remember our first day of opening and sign up for the club - I was expecting two or three others to turn up, but then all these guys in their Hummel and pony outfits turned up out of the woodwork - we now have an official membership of 30!

Quality web-site John W - Very encouraging numbers down in the sunny south east. Well done !! :)

COYS !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i still have my PONY and TRAP shirt.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Hummel? I bought my first jersey just after that.
    The 91 cup final jersey(well that was the first time we wore it)

I'll welcome all bandwagon supporters once they stay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I've been a Spurs fan since 1967 when Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 in the FA Cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

I've been a Spurs fan since 1967 when Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 in the FA Cup final.
    I jumped on the empty bandwagon (as opposed to all the Leeds and Liverpool fans) around 1971 too young at the time to remember exactly, Chivers and Jennings were favourites. Had my first real "What did they do that for?" moment when it was announced that Terry Neill was taking over from Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 browbrow

All my mates growing up were Liverpool or United. Wasnt having that so I sat down to watch Spurs V Norwich, god im glad Gazza and Lineker scored 2-a-piece in a 4-0 win!! Otherwise id be following the Budgies and my dad is a tractor boy!!

COYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Hearvee wrote: »
    PONY??? Ah ya bandwagon-jumper! Real fans are still wearing Hummel (even if the shirt is three sizes too small)

I might point out that I am only a spritely 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoddagod

first game i ever went to :D

Advertisement