Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Harrier?

• 07-07-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

I was driving from Cork to Dublin yesterday when i what i believe was a male hen harrier. It was pale/grey with a white rump and black tips on the wings. Have any of you guys seen one before? It was a beautiful bird and i was delighted to get such a good view of one.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Sounds like a male hen harrier all right. I love them. I could spend hours watching them quarter an area looking for prey.

Where abouts did you see it? I see them in the Blooms and occasionally in Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

Did it look like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

That's exactly how it looked. I was 99% sure i was right but that confirms it.
    I saw it in County Tipperary boneless close to the Kilcoran lodge near Cahir. I've looked up some details on the hen harrier and the surroundings there seem perfect for it. It was a real treat. I do that trip quite often and i see kestrel all the times but that was a big bonus!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

mm handsome bird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

I ve seen one a few times round my way as well. Spent ages trying to work out what it was . It was huge .
    north west side of killarney .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

I ve seen one a few times round my way as well. Spent ages trying to work out what it was . It was huge .
    north west side of killarney .

Are you sure it wasn't a white tailed sea eagle you saw?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭paddyenglishman

I'm 100% positive it was a hen harrier, the eagles range over south kerry and west cork . Whilst i am no expert the hen harrier was quartering the ground at a relatively low level. I'm told the eagles only return to their roosts at dusk and they would be a good 10 miles south of me . And at the rate the local morons are poisoning the eagles i'll be lucky if i ever see a white tail ,and lord knows i've tried .

Advertisement