Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw car keys

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

hi

does anyone know how much it is to get a replacement car key for a 00 bmw. lost mine yesterday and was just wondering how much it is going to set me back

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Firstly.. check your car insurance policy as some of them cover this and it might be very expensive if you have to get it re-programmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Not cheap I'm afraid. When I rang the dealer they told me they'd have to be shipped from Germany. About 400 euros I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not cheap I'm afraid. When I rang the dealer they told me they'd have to be shipped from Germany. About 400 euros I think.

I got a price of €150 or so from Murphy and Gunn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Had to get a key for an E46. It cost about 150 euro from a BMW main dealer.

And, it only takes a couple of seconds to reprogramme.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

ya thanks it is an e46. 150 euro is not bad. an expensive day in the pub yesterday so

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Motorpark - €130 total for a key for a '98 e39 5 series (one of the keys with the remote boot lock as well as the central locking). Just gave them the chassis number, they ordered the key, and when it arrived they rang me, I brought the car to them, and they programmed it in about 15 minutes. Fairly hassle free.

IIRC, there are 3 different types of key that your car could have, so they need to confirm which one you use. In my case, I emailed them a photo of my existing key (you could MMS one from your phone if necessary). I did have to pay a deposit, which was fine on credit card over the phone. You will also need to have the VRC for your car and photo ID with you on collection to prove that the key is for your car!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I have a related question...

Bought a 99 Colt privately recently, only one key came with it.
    Mitsubishi dealer tells me it'll be 100quid for a spare, a locksmith told me they'ed do it for 6euros if it didnt have an immobiliser chip in it, up to 75euros if there is an immobiliser.

I haven't got a clue if i have an immobiliser or not.

The key looks very plain, nothing on it to suggest there's something fancy inside it. Any other way of telling if I have an immobiliser?
    Apologies in advance as it's an amateur question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jockser101

all Mitsubishi cars from 1994 will have an immobliser chip in the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

about a year ago a friend of mine paid e100 for his key, it was '97 3 series, in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

VH wrote: »
    :eek:
    Calm down - its not €400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

A new key for an E46 will cost €100/150 and comes pre-programmed.

Advertisement