Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few easy songs on guitar.

Options
  • 07-07-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been playing the acoustic guitar a few months now. Kinda getting there. Have the basic chords... G D Em A Am C...

Could anyone recommend a few good songs?? The usual sing song ones that people would know. A few three chorders or what not...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Hi all,

Been playing the acoustic guitar a few months now. Kinda getting there. Have the basic chords... G D Em A Am C...

Could anyone recommend a few good songs?? The usual sing song ones that people would know. A few three chorders or what not...
    Ive being trying to play the acoustic guitar myself for the last month or so and Ive found this website brilliant, heres afew links to some easy/beginner songs such as Wild Thing (Troggs), Hey Joe (Hendrix), Knockin On Heaven Door (Dylan). Best of luck with them. :)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-004-VeryEasySongs.php
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-000-SongsTAB.php

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hi all,

Try out tracks like American Pie, almost anything by the Beatles, House of the Rising Sun is pretty handy too (Am-C-D-F-Am-C-Em-Am-C-D-F-Am-Em), Mr Jones, Brown Eyed Girl, Everybody Hurts is a great one to learn too if you're just starting off. U2's One is a great sing along. Radioheads Creep is great for getting used to barre chords too (G-B-C-Cm). You'll get the chords and tabs to all of these easily enough.

Another great way is to go to a guitar shop and find the guitar tab books. You can get compilation ones or specific albums. Thats really how I learned at the start. I found a few books for my favourite albums and went from there. Best of luck with it, its great fun, and a great way of escaping for a while! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

U2's Desire is a good one for practicing switching from D-A-E quickly and is pretty well known though maybe not a great singalong. Patience by Guns n Roses is straight forward enough. It's illegal to take out a guitar after 1am without playing Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and having a room full of drunks screaming "Swimming in a fishbowl!" at the top of their lungs. Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead. End Of The World As We Know It by REM is great if the room knows the words - or even better, if they think they know the words and don't realise they don't until they're half way through a na-na-na-something-something madeyup lyric.

A word of warning. I learned to play guitar by picking up a few chords and teaching myself a couple of songs. That was 15 years ago and to this day I'm still an absolutely crap guitarist! OK, the approach works for some people, but if you're lazy like me then get some lessons and more importantly some direction while there's still time!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The best website around for easy chords to well known songs -

http://www.iol.ie/~murphypj/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The entire Oasis back catalogue ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

any nirvana songs are easy to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Savman wrote: »
    The entire Oasis back catalogue ;)

I wouldn't recommend too much Oasis to anyone who hasn't built up calluses on their ring and pinky fingers. Every single song seems to require parking your ring finger on the 3rd fret 2nd string and the pinky on the 3rd fret 1st string and leaving them there for the entire song. :)

A few easy enough songs (I think) that people can usually sing along to:

California Dreaming - Mamas & Papas
    Piano Man - Billy Joel
    The River - Springsteen
    First Cut is the Deepest
    Wild World
    Zombie
    This Year's Love
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Take it Easy
    Falling Slowly
    Good Riddance
    Cats in the Cradle
    Sweet Baby James
    After The Gold Rush
    Wish You Were Here
    Sing - Travis

Should be something in there that any audience can sing along to and none of those songs are particularly difficult to get sounding reasonably decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

If you know C, D, G and Em and have a capo (on first fret) then you can play
    Viva La Vida by Coldplay. Either use straight eighth note strumming (DUDUDUDU) or spice it up with the real deal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4g7pH-eR34

www.justinguitar.com also has a list of easy songs (with instructional videos)

Advertisement