Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Demanding is the Sean kelly Tour

Options
  • 07-07-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what distance I should be tackling ???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It would help if we knew what kind of level you're at, i.e. how much training you do, how long your spins are and if you're training in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

sorry of course it would,

Only back in the saddle. Wicklow - Dublin and back 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks and then 20km spins 2 other days. reasonably fit but not much mountain runs. so averaging 280 km a week for past 3 weeks

not killing myself but going at a good steady pace 30 km per hour

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd probably go for the 100 route in that case. By all accounts the longer one is pretty challenging and if you haven't done any 100km+ training spins and practised your climbing it would probably be a bridge too far.

I believe the 100km doesnt have too many hills etc ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm going for the 100 cos I have no hill trianing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Don't be a chicken!!!! Sign up!!! Who cares how long it takes you to complete it :pac: I am going, and I signed up for the 160, but I have little hill training ... so I will do the 100, unless I magically turn into cycling godess in less than 2 months ...

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I believe the 100km doesnt have too many hills etc ??

By the sounds of it yes, but its hardly pancake flat either. If you've never done 100km before, it would be a nice milestone to complete it on the Sean Kelly.

yeah i meant mountain climb hills, where do you register for it?

Website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

It is easier than the wicklow 200 but harder than RoK.

The nastiest hill of the day on the 160 is Mahon Falls about 130kms in.
    The descent is nearly worse that the ascent !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

sorry of course it would,

Only back in the saddle. Wicklow - Dublin and back 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks and then 20km spins 2 other days. reasonably fit but not much mountain runs. so averaging 280 km a week for past 3 weeks

not killing myself but going at a good steady pace 30 km per hour
    280km a week for the last three weeks is very good going if you are just back at it. I'd say maybe the 100km at the moment, but on the flip side the Sean Kelly is seven weeks away, so start getting some hills in and you never know, the 160km might be doable.

it will be my first group ride ever so i am thinking the 100 is enough, i only ever cycled for the exercise and it was solo but now its for that and the commute which is optional as i have a company car. Just a bit nervous of it to be honest and i could do with losing a bit first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'm getting an error on their site when I try and register online: Error: Your IP is unknown. Because most of the submissins from hidden IPs are spam, we are blocking submissins from hidden IPs. They're misspelling not mine!

Going to go the old fashioned form and cheque and post it off. Presumably they're still taking entries? I'm going to go for the 160km and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

barrabus wrote: »
    It is easier than the wicklow 200 but harder than RoK.

The nastiest hill of the day on the 160 is Mahon Falls about 130kms in.
    The descent is nearly worse that the ascent !

Thats exactly the info I was gonna ask for thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I'm getting an error on their site when I try and register online: Error: Your IP is unknown. Because most of the submissins from hidden IPs are spam, we are blocking submissins from hidden IPs. They're misspelling not mine!

Got to love grammatical mistakes when pointing out spelling mistakes :D

Buachaill, and anyone else undecided you can do the 160, and detour around the hills if you feel bad, but you may as well go the whole hog -7weeks is ages to get in shape

yeah i will have to have a good think, tiny i havent cycled that much in years might be just a bit much

Got to love grammatical mistakes when pointing out spelling mistakes :D

Ok Ok got me. Jeebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Ok Ok got me. Jeebus.

Sorry mate, couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

yeah i will have to have a good think, tiny i havent cycled that much in years might be just a bit much

I know this isn't typical of everybody but I did the Wicklow 200 with about 2 months training, I was just a commuter before that. In that 2 months I was still commuting 20km a day and got up to the mountains on a Tuesday evening and for a longer mountain spin on a Saturday.
    My advice would be to start hitting the mountains now and also pushing out the distance. Then after a few weeks you'll know yourself how you're progressing and whether the 160 is achievable. You'll certainly be able for the 100 in 7 weeks time so sign up now and decide closer to the date.

Still deciding if I'll do it myself, but I really fancy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

All are welcome to come out and do some of the Boards 200 as part of training.
    See my sig...

yeah i will have to come out on the boards runs and see how i manage

Sorry mate, couldn't resist :D

...because resistance is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

There's a possibly useful training chart on the website - here:
    http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/tourism/seankellytour/trainforit/

It gives you an idea of how to build up a bit of long distance training and perhaps what you can expect your body to be able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I'd say you could easily do the 100k. At a push you should be able to do the 160k. You'd want to get up the mountains fairly soon though!

Has anybody else NOT got his or her sponsorship forms yet?

I signed up 3 weeks ago, and still haven't received mine yet.
    I phoned the guy in charge last Monday, and he assured me that I'd 'have it in the next day or two....'
    The post office isn’t that bad surely?

I had hoped to get a few clients to sponsor me, but at this rate I don't see it happening.

The organisers don't seem to be all that bothered about raising money for the blind, just to get bodies down there to boost their ego's. I hope I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Chris Peak wrote: »

I got all the Maps, my number and the sponsorships forms about 3 days after signed up ... that was at the beginning of last month ...

I think you should harass them a bit more ...

I haven't signed up yet so really can't comment.but harassing sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Chris Peak wrote: »

I signed up 3 weeks ago, and still haven't received mine yet.

I just signed up yesterday, so I'll let you know how I get on with receiving the gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

What seems to be confusing them is that my brother paid for my entry. Which is probably why they haven’t sent the race pack, or sent any confirmation e-mails.

What I can’t understand is why this is a problem as we live in the same house?
    So really, the pack should have arrived by now, all be it with his name on rather than mine.

On checking his emails this morning he found one from the Waterford Sports Partnership asking HIM to do a survey for them. The only other e-mail we received from them was the one confirming that they’d received the payment.

I phoned up again today and left messages on the answer machine but haven’t heard anything back from them yet.

Irishmotorist; I’d love to hear who you get on with them.

• Advertisement

I just signed up yesterday, so I'll let you know how I get on with receiving the gear.

Me too :D and booked myself into Lawlors Hotel.

Advertisement