Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Back up a bit there Chem.
    So you are saying if I read this right.You were refused a liscense because you had no tax or a bald tyre??? That should only apply AFTER you got the liscense..:)

Now there would be a prize example of bad customer service,and another Super for the courts,as from your example he has given no reason,delayed the refusal letter,or given you a reason for the refusal.
    Plus if you win thats a black mark on his record.Thats making life miserable for you both.

No Grizzly I ment it as if I had off started shouting down the phone I might have found I was "noticed" abit more by my local boys in blue;)

Agree on your other point. But I cant afford to take anyone to court as the bills have to be payed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wouldnt have called that shouting Chem.All you did was ask is he approving it,and you were cut off rather brusquely.
    Bills,yeah we all have them,and thats your decision as to fight it or not.Another thing that is rotten here.Sure there is justice for all,but it only costs 250K to start.Another reason we can be walked on with n impunity.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

:eek:post_old.gif 09-01-2008, 19:34 #1 thehair
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

new to shooting
    hello i have been looking at target shooting as a hobby i was looking at
    all the information in this forum so what did i do.

1 went to the local garda and asked him about a licence for a .22 rifle
    first licence for me .

2 garda say join local gun club and go buy a .22 rifle he will have no problem granting a licence to me

3 i asked how long would it take before i got a licence for the rifle.

4 garda sad about two weeks biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif only

so long and short of it first ask garda in charge off gun licencing show a bit off respect to the garda he was only happy to help me.
    so big thanks to the shooting forum for information
    and thanks to the garda in west of ireland and i have been called a ass kisser

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Folks,Can U all please get it into your heads.I am not saying argue with the Gardai.I am saying DISCUSS this with a ace up your sleeve!What do we not understand here???

The fact that you're pretty sure a local Garda is telling you porkies isn't an ace up your sleeve. People don't like being caught out, no matter how politely and calmly it's delivered.

Ever catch your boss lying to you? Did you call him/her on it? Did it make your working life better or worse?

IRLConor wrote: »
    The fact that you're pretty sure a local Garda is telling you porkies isn't an ace up your sleeve. People don't like being caught out, no matter how politely and calmly it's delivered.

Ever catch your boss lying to you? Did you call him/her on it? Did it make your working life better or worse?

True indeed.But then they shouldnt be telling porkie pies in the first place.
    Sure did.I did,yes it did improve life financially as [1] he was a creep [2] it involved the US Internal Revenue Service .:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

True indeed.But then they shouldnt be telling porkie pies in the first place.

Of course they shouldn't, but if/when they get caught out do you think they're going to apologise by expediting the paperwork or will they leave it at the bottom of the pile while they do other work?
    Sure did.I did,yes it did improve life financially as [1] he was a creep [2] it involved the US Internal Revenue Service .:)

Ah, but you had leverage in the form of the IRS. You have no such leverage with the Gardai (nor did I when I caught a supervisor lying to me years ago) unless there's some law I haven't heard of which requires the Gardai to always tell you the truth.

hi grizzly45 what do you think of post number 34 good or bad steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Chem, Sparks if you in please go back out :D, are you in NARGC ? If you are contact Des, they will/may take action for you

thehair wrote: »
    hi grizzly45 what do you think of post number 34 good or bad steve

Fine Steve,it just shows how different things are from place to place.
    Chem,
    Well if he is a smart buchail,and knowing how much of a mess things could go,and I was in his Garda issue boots[do they still issue boots?].Iwould expedite the paperwork PRONTO.But thats just me:).Of course if this is Garda Ugg on an ego trip,it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

chem wrote: »
    I agree with you Sparks. You might not lose there and then but down the road they will be only to happy stopping you for your broken break light, Tax disc, bald wheel and 1000 other little paper cuts.
    Well, that might happen in the worst case, but what I was actually referring to was that in any argument with a garda outside a courtroom, the garda has all the legal authority. Anything you say has, basicly, no weight, and it's his word against yours as to what's said - and if you lose the run of yourself (and it's shocking how few people don't) then you're displaying intemperate habits, and there's section four hammering your application.
    Until you're in front of a judge, arguing is pointless at best, and more likely damaging to your case. If you apply for a licence, either the Super grants it or he doesn't - the law does not state that you appeal to the Super, it states that you appeal to the courts, so make the best case you can the first time round and if that doesn't fly, then just go on to the next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Children, children, stop fighting!
    Lads, all I want to do is get this sorted in the most efficient way possible.
    However the LAST thing I want to do is piss of the local copper as the I have learned a long time ago that this is a really stupid thing to do.
    Try living in Belgium were cops draw down on you before they ask any questions...
    I spoke to the guy who runs the local gunshop, he said that they might just be delaying it until after the next license renewal date so that i won't have to pay the fee twice.
    Does this make any sense to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I've heard of that more than once mayhem. If that's the case, just saying that you don't want to wait is usually enough.

hi mayhem:D post number 34 that is what i did steve:cool:

It would Mayhem makes sense.But why not just say so?After all it is your money and they would make more money for the system by double charging.if they were inclined to do so.
    Must be difficult doing busisness in the Gendamerie in Brussles then.You walk in to ask directions to wherever and the cops draw on you???:eek:
    T
    hey say the French are the worst.I found them civil and any police force who salutes the citizenry foreign or domestic after busisness is finished cant be all that bad.. Consider yourself lucky to be called Sir or Madam by our lot. More likely. "You dere ".:rolleyes:

Griz, don't get me started.
    I've looked at the business end of a Browning Hi-power once too often.
    Drink driving checkpoints require an Uzi and pump-action shotgun as standard in Belgium apparently...

Uhm thats pretty much the std all over Europe.Considering that there were still some nastier terrorist groups knocking around over there,not to mind more crazier East Blockers.I would be surprised if there wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Some decent points made.

Patience and niceness will win through in my experience:

One local FO, two applicants - I was nice, and I mean not just smiling through the teeth nice. I said every phone call/visit that I knew they had far more important things to be doing, and they do.

There was a delay of around 5 months, lost article 7s wrong serial numbers, incorrect addresses, contacted station 40 times......
    Getting 2nd (handgun) licence, FO remembered me and I had it in a week, yes, one week.

Another Guy orders from dealer the same week as me, basically ranted and belittled the FO and desk officers on every visit, wanted meeting with the Super looking for FO to be disciplined. Waited 7 months for 1st licence, waiting 4 months so far for second...........

Be nice*, the pay is just the same. :)

*Being nice is not necessarily for everyone, some people are inherently tetchy and belligerent, for them the softly softly approach can never work as the smiling barely hides the seething.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

mayhem# wrote: »
    I spoke to the guy who runs the local gunshop, he said that they might just be delaying it until after the next license renewal date so that i won't have to pay the fee twice.
    Does this make any sense to someone?

When I first applied for the 22 license, it was late May and I got a call from my FAO and he said that he would hold out on the application as it was near renewal time which would save me some money

I dunno.
    Iwas as nice as possible and it only took me 2and a half years to get the Super to actually transfer the paperwork from his In tray to his pen,to an envelope,and that only happened after my Solr wrote him a nice letter to ask why when he granted a FAC two years ago,was I not in possesion of it?Two years later?
    It's nice to be nice.....But when your niceness is being abused ,and somone is taking the wee.it starts to wear thin after awhile.Especially after 2.5 years.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

mayhem# wrote: »
    Griz, don't get me started.
    I've looked at the business end of a Browning Hi-power once too often.
    Drink driving checkpoints require an Uzi and pump-action shotgun as standard in Belgium apparently...

They do indeed my dear man and believe me you better not drive at one of the cops at the checkpoint because all that hardware will open up on the driver position of the car...compared to the boys over here who have to jump for the ditch and call for assistance those lads are trained to reply with lethal force if someone uses potentialy lethal force on them. Oh btw Grizzly, they're called Police Federal/Federale Politie nowadays and what you said about the French cops is absolutely true. I remember wandering through Straatsburg one night when the Algerian civil war was in full swing in the early nineties, a little bit intoxicated and completely lost. Completly stuck for directions I walked up to two CRS lads and asked them for directions to the hostel where I was staying ( 100 yards down from an Algerian consulate of all places )..those alleged brutes invited me in to their car, explained that they just stopped to fill up their coffee flask and that they were heading there and that I was more than welcome to a lift.. got dropped off at the hostel, thanked them and got an "A votre service et bon nuit" on my way out of the Renault 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Only read the first few posts nut the same happened to me a few years ago when I got my beretta Teknys semi - after about a month I got a message on the mobile from the local sergeant saying that it was held up because 'Dublin' wanted to know if it was a double barrel!

Well I am happy to say that I received a letter approving my application last Tuesday. Went and collected my license yesterday and am as happy as Larry.
    I would also recommend "Open Season" in Nenagh for being extremely helpful and throwing in a load of free accesoires when I went to collect the shotgun.

Great to hear it Mayhem that it worked out in the end.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Congrats !

Advertisement