Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoke Replacement

Options
  • 07-07-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

What do I need? Is it worth my while doing it myself or would be just handy to drop it into a shop?

Just 1 broken spoke. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Unless you have a way of truing the wheel yourself, I'd drop it into a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

not difficult at all if you're in any way mechanically inclined. you need a nipple wrench(!), a replacement spoke of the right length (measure carefully), a new nipple (though you might be able to reuse the old one) and maybe new rim tape (again you might reuse the old one).

i've gotten spokes in cyclogical, but any shop that builds wheels should sort you out. while your at it you might want to get a few for the future, they're cheap enough.

edit: i use the break calliper as a guide for getting the wheel true again, a truing stand is really only necessary if you're building a wheel from scratch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've done it before. Replacing the spoke is pretty straightforward, if a little fiddly regarding getting it into the nipple. The skill is making sure the spokes have an even tension and the wheel remains true.

Advertisement