Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOS.... :)

Options
  • 07-07-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Within the next week or so, I am going to start promoting a tournament that my poker society will be having later this year. However due to my technology limitations, I have only been able produce a rather mediocre poster using the good old faithful program, MS paint. (as attached) In case it is not as evident to you, I have incorporated a Guinness theme as a typical Irish theme. Pretty lame I know!!!

I guess I’m posting here to invite any volunteers who think they can improvise (shouldn’t be too hard!) or design a better one. Anything wud be better than the one I made I guess. :)

Thanks

G.I.T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

This is better?? MS Paint sucks, I really have to get photoshop and learn how to use it! How does one blend an image?? I had to chop the Guinness logo out to replace it with €4,000 and the result is clearly not ideal lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

MS Paint sucks, I really have to get photoshop and learn how to use it!
    Check out the gimp, it's free and there are a world of tutorials available for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Will you be printing the design yourself or what's the story? Another free app that's easy to use is inkscape. I put this together in no time at ll using that. http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/320/poker1bo1.png
    It would would be a step up from MS Paint anyway ;) .
    I'm not an expert at all but I know there are a number of programs out there you can use for free and usually a combination of a few of them will do the trick for making your own designs. I get on fine with Inkscape, PhotoImpression (came free with a digital camera a long time ago) and I have GIMP as well but haven't mastered it yet. Stay well clear of Paint- it's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Actually another thing you should do is download some non-standard fonts. Having a few different fonts will take what I call the 'MS Word' look of things (you can always tell when somebody made something in Word, using Times New Roman and the standard ClipArt and it's not a good look!). Try www.dafont.com for free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

Hi G.I.T.

I'm having a slow work day so I thought I'd give your poster a go. Low Res version available to view here on photobucket.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/JulesInKy/irishdeafpokerlowres.jpg

If ya like it, drop me a pm and I'll email you the higher res for printing.

Jules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

JulesInKy wrote: »
    Hi G.I.T.

I'm having a slow work day so I thought I'd give your poster a go. Low Res version available to view here on photobucket.

If ya like it, drop me a pm and I'll email you the higher res for printing.

Jules.

Really like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Very nice poster. Unfortunately you have a typo:

Guaranteed.

Thanks guys, and TY Heinrich for pointing out the typo :D Slow work day also means slow brain day I guess

Corrected low res here

Hi again G.I.T.

Just wondering if you wanted to use the poster or not? I only ask cause a local pub is doing a poker night and I could recycle the design if it's not being used. No big deal (pardon the pun :P) either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Really like that last one by JulesInKy.

GIT, you should use the IDP logo. ;);)

IDP_logo.jpg

• Advertisement

IDPdeepstackposterlowres.jpg

Direct Link (low res! not suitable for printing)
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/JulesInKy/IDPdeepstackposterlowres.jpg

Good suggestion by donegalgirl re: adding the logo. The online version was poor quality so I had a bash at reproducing it. If the signs are wrong or you don't like them on the poster I can remove them. Also made the text changes you requested.

Just let me know what format your printer wants the file in and I'll get it to you.

Jules.

That poster is class. Like your logo a lot better than mine! I've just been using Paintshop and downloading a whole load of fonts and brushes, have photoshop, butit's really complex! I don't think I have the time or the motivation to learn it all by myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Thanks Jules!! Was expecting a PM from u all this time, didnt realise u posted it here!!!

Fantastic job!! I ought to kiss u!!! lol!!

Brilliant, Bravo!!!!

oh my gosh! there's no appropriate smiley for that! LOL! You're very welcome, I enjoyed doing it :D Work has been a lot of nightclub posters and business cards etc lately so it was a nice change.

I posted it in here for review for others to proof-read, so that I could avoid typos and especially mistakes with the signs for IDP as the ones I did have slight differences to the originals.

Donegalgirl, hang in there with photoshop. I taught myself also, but once you get the basics it's a great app. Even after this long using it I'm STILL learning new tricks with it.

Now I'm off to teach myself Joomla...:D

Joomla FTW! So easy to manage! Although it takes a bit of getting used to first!!

Good luck with the tournament Ciaran, might be there if you teach me how to play first! LOL!

Advertisement