Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle Recommendations

Options
  • 07-07-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Guys,

Looking for some recommendations about different muzzles.

My dad has started to muzzle our staffie on walks (not because he is in anyway vicious or anything - he is an absolute teddybear - but people were giving out to him for not having him muzzled and he was fed up being pulled up about it).

Thing is doggy ain't happy about it and I don't blame him. It really stresses him out. We've tried rewarding him before it's put on and giving him loads of praise but he just doesn't know whats happening to him. He gets so stressed that once he's let off the lead (in a field where there are no people or other dogs) he does his utmost to take it off. He now has cuts around his mouth from where he has been rubbing and scrapping. We have cream from the vets for these wounds but they truely look horrible cause they aren't healing.

Dad has stopped using the muzzle now and will only walk the dog very early morning and very late at night to avoid any confrontation about the dog not having a muzzle on.

Below is a link to the type of muzzle he as using.

http://www.petshoponline.ie/customer/product.php?productid=309&cat=292&page=1

Does anyone use a different type that they think might be more comfortable for the dog to wear?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nasty as they look, a (well fitting!!) basket type is actually best.

It allows the dog to open its mouth and to pant and breathe properly.

It won't be able to drink with it, but during a walk that shouldn't be problem.

The issue with all those Nylon muzzles is that they force the dog's mouth closed, and (as you will probably know) placing for example your hand over a dogs mouth and force it closed is a pretty severe punishment/attack to a dog, so they're never particularly happy about those nylon muzzles.

Don't order the muzzle online though, get it fitted and watch out that it doesn't chafe anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not sure it really what your looking for, but I would recommend a Halti. They are mainly used for dogs that have pulling issues, but seeing as your guy doesn't pose a danger, it will pass a muzzle for the passers-by.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I agree with the Halti, technically it is like a doggy version of a horses headcollar and isn't a muzzle, it's just to stop the dog from pulling and make guiding him easier, but to dog hating idiots it should pass as one! The law is so dumb, a perfectly friendly dog has to wear a muzzle because of his breed yet a vicious collie or whatever can roam around and nothing is done about it! I don't know what kind of idiots make these laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

There is another types that i can think of.
    The plastic basket muzzle.
    The wire basket muzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Thanks for the advise guys. I hate the look of those basket muzzles but I suppose it's whatever is more comfortable for the dog at the end of the day.

Will suggest the halti as an alternative but until his poor mouth heals up we will leave him be.

It's a bit ironic that the very thing that's meant to make the dog less dangerous ended up making him look more dangerous - i.e. we have a dog now that looks like it's been fighting with the cuts around his mouth.

He's milking it at the moment though lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Sorry to be reviving an old thread but just want some clarification on this.

The muzzle we have for our rottie is a plastic basket type, I dont think its great as it seems to make her too hot and she looks like Hannibal Lector with it on.

Has anyone used something like this

royal-nappa-rotties-muzzle-rot_LRG.jpg

Is there any other rottie owners that just use a halti and get away with passing it off as a muzzle? I know joe public might think a halti is a muzzle but I'm sure you would come across other dog owners who would know better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, im a rottie owner and have never muzzled him and have never been stopped. I do use a dogmatic headcollar though which i find brilliant even for control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

peasant wrote: »
    Nasty as they look, a (well fitting!!) basket type is actually best.

It allows the dog to open its mouth and to pant and breathe properly.

It won't be able to drink with it, but during a walk that shouldn't be problem.

The issue with all those Nylon muzzles is that they force the dog's mouth closed, and (as you will probably know) placing for example your hand over a dogs mouth and force it closed is a pretty severe punishment/attack to a dog, so they're never particularly happy about those nylon muzzles.

Don't order the muzzle online though, get it fitted and watch out that it doesn't chafe anywhere.

This! (if you are going to go for a muzzle). I have had a dog that was able to drink with one on (granted, got water all over the floor!) so they are well able to open their mouths with it - for panting when running around on a walk.

You (or your father) will need to get the dog used to the idea of a muzzle before heading out for a walk. Placing a treat at the end of the muzzle and getting the dog to stick its face in on its own without putting it on is a good method for doing this. After a while, putting it on them while good things are happening (eg. playing) around the house for a little while at a time will distract the dog from trying to take it off and also get them used to the sensation of having a muzzle on. Once you go to bring the dog for a walk, it should be less stressed about having it on. Many dogs get very tense when muzzled - I know if I had one on my mouth I wouldn't be a happy camper - so slow introduction to it is your best bet.

A lot of the larger pet stores will be able to help when it comes to fitting a muzzle for your dog - bring the dog to shop with you so as to find the best fit. Many vets also stock them and would be able to help you fit it. It should be secure, not jigging around on your dogs face but not welded to its head either, and should not chafe or rub. Metal basket muzzles are generally used for Greyhounds or other long, thin nosed, so steer clear with a Staffie. The nylon ones keep their mouths shut - which really isn't a good idea on a walk if the dog needs to pant - and can stress the dog more because their mouth is forced shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

antomagoo wrote: »
    The muzzle we have for our rottie is a plastic basket type, I dont think its great as it seems to make her too hot and she looks like Hannibal Lector with it on.

You'd want a proper basket-type muzzle like the one in this picture
    http://www.fordogtrainers.com/ProductImages/customers/muzzles/Cane-Corso-Wire-Dog-Muzzle-M9/Cane-Corso-Wire-Dog-Muzzle-M9-1.jpg
    (too large to put in here, so link only)

The one in your picture forces the dog's mouth shut and you could end up with one very unhappy and angry (or even agressive) Rottie, as with this she couldn't even bark properly ...she'd be gagged, not muzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

andreac wrote: »
    Yes, im a rottie owner and have never muzzled him and have never been stopped. I do use a dogmatic headcollar though which i find brilliant even for control.

+1, I'll second that!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

lrushe wrote: »
    +1, I'll second that!! :)

+2. I use a Halti (http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/products/training/stop-pulling/halti-headcollar) but carry a muzzle (http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/muzzles/159190) as I have been stopped before, so I have it if I need it.

HTH,
    K.

Advertisement