Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifts!

• 07-07-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Have a phobia of lifts and getting trapped in one. Anyone else experience this phobia and how did you(if you did) overcome it?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

akamossy wrote: »
    Have a phobia of lifts and getting trapped in one. Anyone else experience this phobia and how did you(if you did) overcome it?:)

I also have this fear. I always hated them. It's got better over time but it still made me nervous.

Now I work on the 25th floor of a large building. The fear of walking up 25 flights of stairs means I'm over my lifts fear completely now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I was in jurys a few months back with my bf and we got into a lift and the doors closed but it wouldn't move, i nearly had a panic attack, eventually the doors opened again, i ran out and refused to get back into that lift for the rest of the time we were staying there even though i think it was fixed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

lifts are designed in such a way that if the first main cable snaps the second one holds, of which theres several backups which alone could hold you with a special locking mechanism, nothing to be afraid of !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

S.I.R wrote: »
    lifts are designed in such a way that if the first main cable snaps the second one holds, of which theres several backups which alone could hold you with a special locking mechanism, nothing to be afraid of !

This is true and Allen Carr also discusses fear of lifts in his flying book. Very helpful. I may still be a little edgy about flying but I'm 100% fine with lifts these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Hi,

Im so glad i have found this forum.. im not the only one who has this fear..

Lifts.. i have no comprehendable explanation as to why im afriad of them.. im not cloastraphobic for one.. and I love thril rides... Alton Towers Etc..

Im a student in Kevin St and most of my lectuers are on the 4th floor meaning 8 flights of stairs... and I will prefere to take them then get in the lift..

If I do get into a lift im always on edge in them... I was pushed into the lift in Kevin St my friends who decided they would get me over my fear... and then they decied to jump in the lift... i neary died...

but strngley (1) I have to get used to the lift.. ie how it works and every bump etc before iIwill kinda fell 20% comphy in it.. and i will NOT UNDER NO CURCUMSTANCES get in a lift on my own... NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 wexford1

Hi,

Im so glad i have found this forum.. im not the only one who has this fear..

Lifts.. i have no comprehendable explanation as to why im afriad of them.. im not cloastraphobic for one.. and I love thril rides... Alton Towers Etc..

Im a student in Kevin St and most of my lectuers are on the 4th floor meaning 8 flights of stairs... and I will prefere to take them then get in the lift..

If I do get into a lift im always on edge in them... I was pushed into the lift in Kevin St my friends who decided they would get me over my fear... and then they decied to jump in the lift... i neary died...

but strngley (1) I have to get used to the lift.. ie how it works and every bump etc before iIwill kinda fell 20% comphy in it.. and i will NOT UNDER NO CURCUMSTANCES get in a lift on my own... NO

there is a therapy group called Recovery that will help conquer any fear. In it you will learn that any fear in the brain can be changed by commading of muscles to do the things you fear and hate to do, i.e. by putting yourself gradually into the situations that scare you. Your brain trusts you not to lead it into danger and if you do the things that scare you, the beliefs in the brain that there is danger attached to the event is replaced with one of 'no danger'. For instance in the case of lifts if you were to first spend some time walking in and out of a lift car without it going anywhere or the door closing. Bring a friend along at first. Then the next day or so do it again but this time on your own. Then do it again, with a friend but his time close the door and open it (there are buttons for closing and opening doors on the inside) but don't go anywhere. then do this again but on your own. Then try leaving the door closed for longer. Then try going up one floor, first with a friend then without one. then two floors etc.etc.
    Remember to be patient and do it part acts at a time. don't give yourself a time limit. do a bit one day and then say 'thats enough for today'
    i have had similar fears. (I also went to Kevin street DIT) Pick a lift at a quite time. If you use the one at kevin st, use the one near the lecture halls, use the ground floor as your base and avoid using it on the hour marks as this is when people are most likely to be using it and you might interupt your little program. Be prepared that the worst that can happen is someone else will call the lift and you get an unplanned trip. but you'll only have to put up with the distress for a couple of seconds, distress does not mean danger. Maybe a glass lift would be more helpfull.
    And also know this, you have no fear of lifts, you have a fear of your own distressing sensations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

hay thanks ,,,

I might try that... altho the porters might thnk im strange... lol

Advertisement