Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Graduates

• 07-07-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just throwing up a question to all engineering graduates - what are you supposed to learn in the first year? Where I am I've found that for the first year most graduates are just placed on filing and binding and photocopying and other crap like that, which is not something that should be done. What experience did you achieve from your first year outside college?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Just throwing up a question to all engineering graduates - what are you supposed to learn in the first year? Where I am I've found that for the first year most graduates are just placed on filing and binding and photocopying and other crap like that, which is not something that should be done. What experience did you achieve from your first year outside college?

Really, that is shocking. I dived right in. I am a design engineer and I have my own focused area. I answer technical questions for sales, aid manufacturing and QA in solving non conformances and of course design, prototype and test new designs.

I have a lot of responsibly. I guess it depends on the job and company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

ill be going into my final year in my structural engineering course (hons degree) in September, is it hard finding a job when you graduate?

Especially with all this talk of the economy/construction industry slowing down:rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think its getting harder but with qualifications and such you should be okay.

I think if you are not happy in your graduate programme you should do something about it now, otherwise its a waste of a year. I got stuck doing filing etc in an internship, and afterwards I was at such a disadvatage compared to people who got great experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Jesjes wrote: »
    I think its getting harder but with qualifications and such you should be okay.

I think if you are not happy in your graduate programme you should do something about it now, otherwise its a waste of a year. I got stuck doing filing etc in an internship, and afterwards I was at such a disadvatage compared to people who got great experience.

This is golden advice. Never settle. I got a great internship in germany in research, and now i am setup in a engineering role (Stateside) with lots (if not too much) responsibility. Engineers are hard to come by. Less and less are following into the field so there is plentya jobs to be had!

If you start going down a track you may get pigeon holed into a particular field so focus on an area of interest. Just think you spend 40 hrs a week doing it so why be miserable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

At the very least, there is no harm in looking for another job or recruitment programme, and you should feel confident enough to say in an interview that you're searching for another job because you're not challenged where you are... then if / when you get a new job they wont pidgeon hole you into filing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

Holy crap man (or lady:D), thats bad. To answer your question, your supposed to be learning about engineering, not how to file and photocopy.
    That company is really taking the p if thats what they have you at.
    In my first year in the big bad world I was a site based engineer, which gave valuable hardware experience. Its easier to design an AHU if you have installed one in real life and know the difficulties.
    What your describing may be ok for summer work experience (no way IMO) but definitely not for a graduate.

I'd be interested to know what company that is if you could pm me (don't want boards getting their backside sued off them, do we:))

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woods1986

just finished there in UCD, with very strong results and all i have to show for it is pile of rejection letters.

any advice what i should do? i want to get engineering experience but everywhere has a graduate program that only take applicants in sept '09.

so i need to find something for this year.

woods1986 wrote: »
    just finished there in UCD, with very strong results and all i have to show for it is pile of rejection letters.

any advice what i should do? i want to get engineering experience but everywhere has a graduate program that only take applicants in sept '09.

so i need to find something for this year.

Maybe try for a mechanical contractor, great on-site experience, not many have a grad training program as such, but you learn a lot anyhow.

Just not a great time to be graduating in engineering unfortunatley,
    I'm hearing of experienced staff being let go as projects are finishing up:(

Have you conidered oz for a year. About 1/3 of my class went over and apparently there is loads of grad jobs going.:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I graduated this year and gave up looking for a job.
    I never even got rejection letters most of the time.

Going back to do a Masters now instead.
    My chances should be increased next year hopefully.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

Im have a summer job in an engineering firm at the mo and thats exactly what im doing; binding, photocopying, filing drawings etc I going out of my tree with the pure boredom of it! I've not even started college yet (roll on october!) so I can imagine how frustrating it would be for a graduate faced with it for a year.
    If you can get out of it, do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

was doing quality inspections and alterations for a while. now i cant get an engineering job that suits right now, so im in an internet cafe for the forseeable future

was doing quality inspections and alterations for a while. now i cant get an engineering job that suits right now, so im in an internet cafe for the forseeable future

My advice is don't give up on it, there is still a lot of activity in the engineering sector, more so on the industry/commercial constrction side.
    There was a bit of a kneejerk reaction a few months ago where people were let go but a good few of them have been taken back on I hear.
    These are projects that have been years in the planning and are going ahead.

Don't have much experience with the manufacturing sector so can't comment on it.

Advertisement