Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a €750 bill from 3 [moved]

Options
  • 07-07-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hay,

I recently came close to cardiac arrest after opening my last 3 mobile bill.

I was travelling in Australia a couple of months ago while using my mobile. I was told by three "customer care" that I could use my minutes while roaming on their network.

What they didn't tell me was that they had raised my credit limit from €180 to over €700. So I was hapily talking away thinking that the most I could spend was about €200.

Naturally they came looking for their money and I explained the situation that they had raised my credit limit A) without my permission and B) without telling me. Of course they won't budge on the issue.

I'm wondering if this has hapened to anyone else or where I may stand from a legal point of view? I really don't feel like handing €750 over to 3. Especially considering the mountain of complaints and issues I lodged with them over the past few months.

I'd appriciate any advice on this.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This thread might be better off in consumer issues.

I guess one could say you used the charges so you're liable.

On the other hand did they specifically tell you that you were limited and couldn't spend over that amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I've never heard of roaming being included in anyones minutes, 3 provided the service and you availed of it, I cant see any way out of this for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I've never heard of roaming being included in anyones minutes, 3 provided the service and you availed of it, I cant see any way out of this for you

3 Like Home on Hutchinson 3 in Australia, I guess that was what they meant. I also guess the phone switched over to other networks in AU and that was the reason for this extortionately high bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

3 UK just introduced a "ban" on downloads while roaming to avoid similar surprises when surfing the web abroad:

http://forums.ixplora.com/index.php?showtopic=919&pid=4431&st=0&#entry4431

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anything you do whilst connected to the 3 network whilst in Oz should have been included in your normal minutes and not have been charged for. When roaming though the phone will tend to keep switching networks once it picks up a stronger signal so you probably should have been paying a bit more attention to who you were connected to all the time and manually switching it back if there was a 3 signal available wherever you were.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

robinph wrote: »
    Anything you do whilst connected to the 3 network whilst in Oz should have been included in your normal minutes and not have been charged for. When roaming though the phone will tend to keep switching networks once it picks up a stronger signal so you probably should have been paying a bit more attention to who you were connected to all the time and manually switching it back if there was a 3 signal available wherever you were.

Not if you switch your phone to manual which I do when I'm away with 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Whatever it is they have done to the firmware on mine means that it keeps on switching networks even after I've told it to connect to 3 though. Probably should put a non-three hacked version on it but cannot be bothered with the hassle at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Whatever it is they have done to the firmware on mine means that it keeps on switching networks even after I've told it to connect to 3 though. Probably should put a non-three hacked version on it but cannot be bothered with the hassle at the moment.

I havent noticed that and I havent had an issue so I assume there has been no problems. I'v eonly been to London with it so maybe thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Make an official complaint to 3 in writing.
    If they don't provide a satisfactory response take it to Comreg.

The Consumers Association of Ireland might be able to give you advice:
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

Comreg:
    www.comreg.ie

National Consumer Agency

http://www.nca.ie/eng/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't see what the issue is. The OP used minutes, he was charged as such. If he wanted to be cut off after a certain amount, there's a system for that: Pay as you Go.

While I dislike 3, in this case, or so it seems, they can't win. If they had cut you off at 200e, you would have been complaining that you needed the service when you were over there. As things stand, you used what you're getting the bill for. It is possible there may have been technical issues that maybe added on the cost of calls when they should have been taken from minutes, and if that's the case, 3 should look after you. If it's not, its an expensive lesson but not anything you have a cause to object to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

750 euro bill?ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

not for my life would I hand three over €750 their service is bad enough without handing over that amount of cash! Thats 3's fault, you shouldn't have a credit limit of 700, especially if you were roaming,700 wouldn't be bad at home as a limit but they should've capped your usage, I would blatently refuse to pay it, yes you used the service but that was due to the fact you were mis informed. Also contact ComReg even though I dont know what they'd do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seeing as on 3 like home, you get access to my3, there isn't an excuse for not checking what the balance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Thanks for all the replies...

A few points. I couldn't access "My 3" to check my balance because my mobile baroaband hasn't worked in the past 4 months despite, numerous calls, emails, and a formal letter of complaint to 3 on this issue.

I used the €200 cap as a means of managing my bill. When you get to about €180 3 send you a text advising that you are nearing your credit limit. This is when I would usually stop using the phone. I had been travalling for 3 months.

I almost always made sure I was on the 3 network when I made / recieved calls.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

firstly to the OP, do not pay this under any circumstance...!

I had crazy bills from them last year (they still post them!) for almost 2000e., I just cancelled their service. they are a disaster of a crowd and get away with murder.

They told you that you could use the 3 network in oz, and you were mislead, what happened was that your fone probably switched over to a weaker 2.5g/2g network while you were outside of 3g coverage, and thus you were using someone elses network.

They have their fones set that you cannot lock the network to 3, it always moves to other networks when you are outside of coverage, obviously if you just go to the uk this wouldnt be a problem but if you go further afield it will be.

so basically write to them and tell them this and just refuse to pay.

they can do sfa anyway. just get yourself a new fone and ignore all their bs letters demanding the fee.

ps: comreg will so fa about this so wasting your time. 3 are just cowboys and we need to take the law into our own hands im affraid...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can use your handset when abroad on 3. When your handset goes off the 3 network abroad your handset will display the name of the network you are on you you can clearly tell when you have roamed off the network. If this happened it is clearly not 3's fault. They are not responsible for the way you use your phone abroad. If this was o2, vodafone me meteor we would not all be getting so worked up but just cause it's 3..... Its your bill, your fault you ran up the usage. Sorry but its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They have their fones set that you cannot lock the network to 3

That's just wrong!!! I've always been able to set every 3 phone i've ever had to just 3g only....

Op went nuts with calls while on holidays in australia, any other network would have creased him as well.....he should have used a calling card!!

The credit limit only lasts for the first 3mts and if you don't hit it in the first 3mts you'll never even know you had one.....

I don't think "I didn't realise" will cut it in this case, It's nasty when it happens but there's a moral in there somewhere;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Guy at work has that problem with his 6120

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In fairness you should have kept some sort of track of how long you were on your phone. 700 quid is a lot of minutes even from Aus. Unless the 200 credit limit was in writing you have no chance. You made the calls now you pay.

gpf101 wrote: »
    You made the calls now you pay.

Yes Sir!

The bill has been passed onto a debt collecting company. At least I get a little comfort in knowing 3 won't get the entire amount back.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who roams with 3.

• Advertisement

I still fail to see what the lesson is. You should learn a lesson: it is your responsibility to check roaming charges, keep track of your costs, not run up a large bill then cry about it to all who will listen. Grow up, no one has a lesson to learn here only you. Is it 3's fault your not able to see when you roam off one of their sister networks, or their fault you didnt think to yourself "im on the phone a lot i better check my bill", oh and yes if you were on the 3 network 'My3' would have been available to you to check your usage and bill amount to again 'Whose fault is it?' yours you big bloody child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its good to talk.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Still a nasty surprise! Good luck with it anyway... wont happen again thats for sure.

Walkman wrote: »
    I still fail to see what the lesson is. You should learn a lesson: it is your responsibility to check roaming charges, keep track of your costs, not run up a large bill then cry about it to all who will listen. Grow up, no one has a lesson to learn here only you. Is it 3's fault your not able to see when you roam off one of their sister networks, or their fault you didnt think to yourself "im on the phone a lot i better check my bill", oh and yes if you were on the 3 network 'My3' would have been available to you to check your usage and bill amount to again 'Whose fault is it?' yours you big bloody child.

I see what your saying but the lesson to be learned is not to trust three! they mis informed him, yes he should've watched his spend but as he said prior to your message he cant access my3! there is a lesson to be learned, some dont see it:)

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I see what your saying but the lesson to be learned is not to trust three! they mis informed him, yes he should've watched his spend but as he said prior to your message he cant access my3! there is a lesson to be learned, some dont see it:)

Thanks Ah-Watch. That's exactly my point. I do not trust 3. In my experience they've provided a substandard service and were not upfront regarding their capping policy. Quadroupling my credit limit without informing me while roaming in Australia is not a good combination for anyone. Like I said... I used my credit limit to control my bill. It could easily happen to somebody else. All I am saying is beware.

Walkman, firstly get over yourself. Secondly maybe you should have read the entire thread and made an effort to understand the sircumstances behind the €750 biil. Then again... were all prone to making errors of judgement. :)

I understand what your saying, all im saying is you would have access to my3 if on the 3 network in australia, if not your phone screen would have clearly shown the network you had roamed onto so you could easily have seen you would have been charged roaming rates. Ah-Watch Foggy Lad in disguise

i just got my latest bill through from Three and somehow I have not got charged for a bunch of raoming calls that I made in the UK. I was deliberately not connected to Three UK during any of the calls as saving battery life on the phone and using the 2G signals of other networks was my main concern during that trip.

Seems that they just counted all of those non-Three calls as part of my bundled minutes though and I didn't get charged anything extra. I won't be complaining to them about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They allow once you have remaining minutes, then charge outside of minutes. It should have been €0.30 for ireland and €0.39 for calling Eu outside of minutes. You have been covered under the offer of being able to use 50% your minutes for the UK
    3. You may use up to 50% of your
    inclusive voice minutes to (i) call
    the United Kingdom; or (ii) make
    calls within the United Kingdom and
    receive calls when you are in the
    United Kingdom; or (iii) call the
    Republic of Ireland when you are
    in the United Kingdom.

Walkman wrote: »
    I understand what your saying, all im saying is you would have access to my3 if on the 3 network in australia, if not your phone screen would have clearly shown the network you had roamed onto so you could easily have seen you would have been charged roaming rates. Ah-Watch Foggy Lad in disguise

What are you on about? Foggy Lad in disguise?! Just because I voice the same opinion? The OP stated that he has been onto 3 already as he couldn't access my 3!(which said he couldnt access it overa period of time!) he has stated this early on in this thread, . yes You're entitled to your opinion just as everyone else but no need for I dont think theres a need for Ah-Watch Foggy Lad in disguise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sturgo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies...

I couldn't access "My 3" to check my balance because my mobile baroaband hasn't worked in the past 4 months despite, numerous calls, emails, and a formal letter of complaint to 3 on this issue.

I used the €200 cap as a means of managing my bill

Ok Before Ah Watch and Walkman tear each other apart....:rolleyes:

How could 3 not fix planet 3 on your phone, did they just give up?????
    A sim card exchange can be done the same day if that dosen't work your phone can go for repair that takes 3 days to return to you....what in gods name were you doing for 4mts that you couldn't get planet 3 working? (Writing letters of complaint:D)Please explain what went on for 4mts? I'd love to hear this....

Who in 3 explained to you about the €200 cap??
    I very much doubt that anyone told you there's a permanent credit limit on your account, from experience customers get very irate when they hit this limit as they are unable to make calls or texts unless they have any free units remaining. When you speak to customer care they will tell you it's for 3mts because your a noobie and will usually request an advanced payment to get you phone going again.....how did you come to think this was a permanent limit, again i'd love to hear this?

Don't me get wrong, I think Complaining is the only way we can make things better but i'd like to sort the fact from the fiction and get to the bottom of why planet 3 would't work for 4mts and how you came to know about your credit limit?

Please enlighten me....:confused:

Advertisement