Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to the top of Kipure?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Just wondering is the road to the top of Kipure rideable on a road bike? Was looking at some steep up hill training and looked a good candidate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

If it's where I'm thinking of you're talking about Sally Gap, it is rideable and a great training spin, I'm sure one of the lads will have it mapped on mapmyride or somesuch for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Its the road off to the right after the sally gap climb which leads to the masts at the top of Kipuire. It is blocked off to cars but I have seen people walking up it but just wondered what the state of the road surface was for road riding?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Think it was discussed here last year. Apparently its rideable, but the descent is a bit hair raising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, then it looks awful imposing. Is this the one with a gate across the road?

Yep thats the one... Might go and have a look at it one night this week and give it a try.

Might make an intresting one for hill repeats, lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Sorry didn't realise you meant the one up to the masts, apparently it is rideable but the descent would probably be fairly dodgy on a road bike.

Sounds like it should be included in the Boards 200.

Sounds good, you lot try it and if you come back in one piece I will then go and ride it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 toombah

The road to the mast is perfectly fine on a road bike. Can be a bit blustery near the top on a windy day as you're fairly exposed. The descent is fairly fast but I'd say safe, only one spot over a little bridge that you have to watch it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Sounds like it should be included in the Boards 200.

You're truly sick you are...

• Advertisement

You're truly sick you are...

I'll do the up part, and you can do the down part if you like? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

IIRC the gate is at 500m or so and the top of the road is at 750m- a fair bit of climbing!

blorg wrote: »
    IIRC the gate is at 500m or so and the top of the road is at 750m- a fair bit of climbing!

Maybe we should leave it out so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I cycled from the gate up there a while back - a good cycle and tough in parts. It was on uneven ground and gravelly in places - we were racing on the descent and it was a bit hairy at times - gravel gave way under the back wheel a few times, good detour but not for road bikes methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its no steeper than the road from Ashford to Annamoe, if you can do that (and I cannot) then Kippure won't beat you.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Pretty sure Emty was telling me one day he cycled up that road, he mentioned the descent as being a bit hairy I think. Emty, you around mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Unless the road has seriously disimproved over the years, its perfectly rideable on a road bike.

I've done it several times.

I believe the Team WORC guys had an Enniskerry - Kippure TT a while back...

Advertisement