Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

test - reversing round the corner

Options
  • 07-07-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Are you allowed to take off your seatbelt for the reverse around the corner.

Can you have one hand on the steering wheel?

Do you need to use your handbrake and go to neutral if for example there is a car approaching and you have to wait for it to pass to perform the manovere?

This is the manovere I dread the most.

also is the emergency stop part of the test?

got my test date today for August the 8th and booked 10 pre lessons to give me a better chance of passing. but kept them all really close to the date.

The only way i can practice this is with an instructor as I dont really have anyone over the 2 year full driving licence rule.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are you allowed to take off your seatbelt for the reverse around the corner
    Yes you are, however i would not recommend doing it as if you forget to put it back on after the completing the Manoeuvre it'll be a straight fail.
    Can you have one hand on the steering wheel?
    I'm pretty sure you can, but i'm not 100%, i would ask your instructor for advise on that one.
    Do you need to use your handbrake and go to neutral if for example there is a car approaching and you have to wait for it to pass to perform the manovere?
    I wouldn't as the car passing you would do so quickly, putting the handbrake on and putting the car into neutral would be unecessary.
    also is the emergency stop part of the test?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Keep both hands on the wheel if you can, if you do take one, presumably the left, off the wheel, where are you going to put it that will make the manoeuvre easier or improve control of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I don't think you can take your seat belt off tbh, why would you want to anyway?? Make sure to look all around you before you engage in the manoever and stop half way around the bend to look all around again before completing the manoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Steve_o wrote: »
    I don't think you can take your seat belt off tbh, why would you want to anyway?? Make sure to look all around you before you engage in the manoever and stop half way around the bend to look all around again before completing the manoever.

i was reading one of these UK based driving books and it menioned you amy remove one hand and seat belt to make it easier for you.

why i find it difficult with two hands ont he steering wheel is because it is difficult to twist head so your looking directly out the window as i think your supposed to do. my head turns as far as looking at the left hand roof support of my hatchback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

1. dip your left hand mirror down a bit so you can see the kerb in it.
    2. look over your shoulder and check your mirrors.
    3. Begin slowly to reverse constantly checking your mirrors. (but not too slow)
    4. before turning the corner (stop and observe all round you).
    5. take the corner pretty wide (it's a lot easier to steer the car back in and you don't want to hit the kerb)
    6. bring the car closer to the kerb and straighten it up.
    7. make sure you don't stop too close to the corner.
    8. Keep both hands on the steering wheel and use your left hand mirror the whole way around to guide you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SheroN wrote: »
    1. dip your left hand mirror down a bit so you can see the kerb in it.

ah won't you fail for doing this during the test?
    as you should have your mirrors correct before you start driving and not all cars have the ability to adjust using remote control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Cabaal wrote: »
    as you should have your mirrors correct before you start driving and not all cars have the ability to adjust using remote control

Yea I meant to have this done before the test :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I was talking to an instructor about that during a pretest, and he said that you were allowed to do it, but for preference, you shouldn't, because you might forget to adjust them back up after completing the manouevre.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I was talking to an instructor about that during a pretest, and he said that you were allowed to do it, but for preference, you shouldn't, because you might forget to adjust them back up after completing the manouevre.

plus if you have to slide across to manually adjust as i would it would look real bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'll just throw in, don't forget you're allowed to go up to 18 inches wide of the corner. I did all my practicing my reverse around corners trying to stay within 6 inches. Did a lesson today and my instructor basically asked WTF I was doing....

I was so happy to hear you could take it wide. Makes it so much easier!!!

• Advertisement

Steve_o wrote: »

You are allowed to, i believe it's because, if you are shorter you may find it difficult to see out the back window without turning your body. But if you can do it without taking off your belt, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Move a couple of those lessons to sooner rather than later too, no harm in knowing what you should be practicing for a month before the test instead of two weeks. It'll give you longer to make good driving a habit instead of trying to focus on all the new things you recently learned when your date arrives.

I got lessons from day one on the motorbike and my instructor actually cut short the 2 hour pre test I had booked because he said I didn't need it. Only charged me for the time I had actually used too. Sound guy. Because I got lessons from the get go I had time to drill in to myself the good behaviour and then didn't need to think about it during the actual test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

my test is on saturday, hope the tester doesnt pull a sickie again! does anyone know if the sgs centre- im doing mine in tallaght have a higher pass rate? this is my third time doing it so hope its third time lucky!

teresa2008 wrote: »
    my test is on saturday, hope the tester doesnt pull a sickie again! does anyone know if the sgs centre- im doing mine in tallaght have a higher pass rate? this is my third time doing it so hope its third time lucky!

A bit off topic, but, you shouldn't be thinking, "oh if this centre has a higher pass rate then i'll be fine", when it comes down to it, it all depends on how you drive on the day, not how "nice" the tester is. Just have confidence in your own ability and go for it, forget about all this luck of the draw business and just try your best, Good luck now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It should be possible to adjust your mirror in such a way that you can see the top of the kerb relative to the rear of your vehicle while still maintaining a sufficient view rearwards.

So many people use their side mirrors incorrectly - there's no point in having the mirrors pointing at your car or at the sky - what are you looking for? If the side of your vehicle occupies more than one-fifth of the view in a wing mirror, your mirror is badly adjusted. Likewise if you can see more sky than road, your mirror is wrong.

It's not recommended to remove your belt or your hands from the wheel when reversing in the test. Mainly because it increases the chances of you screwing up by not looking around properly and forgetting to put your belt back on. Get out of the habit of turning around and leaning on the passenger seat - I still reverse with both hands on the wheel.

thanks :) its gas, i went to a psychic over the weekend and he said the test is imminent and you'll pass it, but just practise the reversing, fingers crossed, i just hate reversing anywhere anytime :(

seamus wrote: »
    It should be possible to adjust your mirror in such a way that you can see the top of the kerb relative to the rear of your vehicle while still maintaining a sufficient view rearwards.

So many people use their side mirrors incorrectly - there's no point in having the mirrors pointing at your car or at the sky - what are you looking for? If the side of your vehicle occupies more than one-fifth of the view in a wing mirror, your mirror is badly adjusted. Likewise if you can see more sky than road, your mirror is wrong.

I hadn't really considered that about the mirrors, but yeah, that sounds dead right. I'll have a go tonight at adjusting them correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Is that not how everyone sets them up??

I assumed that was the correct way to have them since it made the most sense!! No point having your side mirrors set high so you can see 2 miles back up the road. Sure isn't that what the centre mirror's for?

Hanley wrote: »

I assumed that was the correct way to have them since it made the most sense!! No point having your side mirrors set high so you can see 2 miles back up the road. Sure isn't that what the centre mirror's for?

Well, it's obvious *now*. :-) I hadn't done any reversing of note previously, so it had never raised itself as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Hanley wrote: »

Your side mirrors are also for seeing what is passing close to you if you need to change direction, usually (but not always) motor vehicles on the right and cyclists on the left. Having them adjusted for rear view is essential if you plan on driving in an urban environment or overtaking safely. Your centre mirror leaves you with gigantic blind spots over each shoulder, hence use both mirrors before a change of direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP. Seatbelt on. Both hands on the wheel. You can turn down the left mirror a little so as to see the top of the kerb. Good luck.

found a video on the topic from a uk website.

http://www.2pass.co.uk/reverseleft.htm

when a car is approaching from the right as he is turning round the corner he secures the car using th handbrake until the car has passed.

would this be a requirement for the test? or is it just something differant they do in the UK

Washout wrote: »
    when a car is approaching from the right as he is turning round the corner he secures the car using th handbrake until the car has passed.
    The logic here I guess is that if a car came from behind you and ran into the back of you, the handbrake would prevent you being pushed into the path of the car coming from the right.

I never used my handbrake in the reverse, so it's definitely not required. Personal choice I guess.

SheroN wrote: »
    5. take the corner pretty wide (it's a lot easier to steer the car back in and you don't want to hit the kerb)

This is not correct, you must maintain roughly the same distance from the kerb from start to finish the whole way around, taking the corner wide is dangerous anyhow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The logic here I guess is that if a car came from behind you and ran into the back of you, the handbrake would prevent you being pushed into the path of the car coming from the right.

I never used my handbrake in the reverse, so it's definitely not required. Personal choice I guess.

I guess if you were on a slight hill you would use the handbrake when you stop to check up and down the road as you are turning into the corner.....no need if you are on a flat road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I adjusted my mirrors during the test, it's perfectly normal. He moved it for me and that it was it. (No remote controls in my car!)
    I put it back after the manoeuvre and it was grand. Why would it be a fail?

I adjusted my mirrors during the test, it's perfectly normal. He moved it for me and that it was it. (No remote controls in my car!)
    I put it back after the manoeuvre and it was grand. Why would it be a fail?

If anything, it shows confidence and adaptibility to changing circumstances.

As long as you put 'em back.;)

I did a pretest lesson yesterday, she wouldnt let me use the side mirror! i was supposed to steer with my eyes, had to cut the lesson short before i literally flipped, needless to say i wont be going with her again, nut job

I did a pretest lesson yesterday, she wouldnt let me use the side mirror! i was supposed to steer with my eyes, had to cut the lesson short before i literally flipped, needless to say i wont be going with her again, nut job

She wouldn't let you use the mirror?? Oh dear... was she certified by the RSA or some cowgirl looking for easy cash??

• Advertisement

Some people have good intentions but don't explain them correctly.

It can be a good experience to drive around as if you had no side mirrors. You then are forced to rely on looking around you and over your shoulders.

But if she doesn't tell you why you're not allowed use the side mirrors, then it's a pointless exercise.

Advertisement