Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

test - reversing round the corner

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

she was from a driving school i used to go with , it was a two hour lesson but i cut it short, like seriously, my eyes are not cameras, i dunno what she was playing at, ive got tony on saturday for two hours before my test so hopefully he'll get me going, i'll never go with that school again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah won't you fail for doing this during the test?
    as you should have your mirrors correct before you start driving and not all cars have the ability to adjust using remote control

I adjusted my left wing mirror down a bit and the pre-tester said that was absolutely fine. As long as it's not too low that you can't see the road behind you, you can leave it that way during the whole test.

I was also told not to use the mirrors too much. He didn't say that I couldn't use them at all, but you're supposed to be looking all around you the whole time. Especially when you're turning the corner, because the blind spots are really important at that point and you need to have good observation in case a car pulls up behind you or turns down the road you're doing it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭darrenoneill33

In the reverse is it an automatic grade 3 fault and fail if you hit the kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

In the reverse is it an automatic grade 3 fault and fail if you hit the kerb?

As was said earlier there is a difference between hitting and mounting the kerb, but some testers will fail you for an incompetant reverse manoever if you hit the kerb, so my advice, don't hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hitting the Kerb is not and Automatic fail. Mounting the kerb on the otherhand is. Hitting the Kerb could incur a grade 1 or grade 2 fault depending on the severity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Washout wrote: »
    also is the emergency stop part of the test?
    No.
    Has it changed? It was part of the test (Category B) when I did it! :confused:
    Steve_o wrote: »
    I don't think you can take your seat belt off tbh, why would you want to anyway??
    There is no legal requirement to wear a seatbelt in a reversing vehicle.

Re mirrors - it is perfectly acceptable to adjust the mirrors during a test. I can't understand why some people think it's unacceptable. Isn't it much safer than not adjusting them?

Re hitting the kerb - no one should really hit the kerb. If you have your mirrors adjusted correctly and are observing what you are doing and observing your progress, you should know if you are going to hit the kerb and can take corrective action. Hitting the kerb just sends out a signal to the examiner that you haven't a clue what's going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Has it changed? It was part of the test (Category B) when I did it! :confused:.

I'm screwed on Monday if it is because it's not seomthing I've EVER been told about during my pretests or lessons!! :D

I do think it's the sorta thing that should be tested tho. It's got more real world significance and applicability than something like a reverse around a corner!

Has it changed? It was part of the test (Category B) when I did it! :confused:

It is not a requirement to do so in the current driving test. Unless of course something happens during the test that requires it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

It is not a requirement to do so in the current driving test. Unless of course something happens during the test that requires it!
    This post has been deleted.
    Fair enough - they must have changed it since I did it.

The examiner used to say something like "at some point on this road I will say 'stop now'. I want you to bring the vehicle to a complete stop as quickly and as safely as possible".

Methinks they may have abandoned it in this culture of litigation and bearing in mind that examiners were not legally required to wear seat belts!

It wasn't really an emergency stop anyway as such as you knew it was going to happen in the next few seconds and the examiners used to brace themselves just as they were about to order it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I have another question about reversing around a corner.

When you start it, and a car is coming up behind you - what exactly do you do?! Stop, and indicate? Keep going with just reverse lights???

Stop, and wait for the other driver to move off/pass. No need to turn on the indicator, that could only serve to confuse the other driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Excuse my ignorance but whats the story with having reversing around a corner as part of the test? Im only starting off to learn how to drive but testing on this seems insane, as it must be illegal to do while actually out driving on the road??

ChRoMe wrote: »
    testing on this seems insane
    The ability to reverse your vehicle safely is an important skill. In a test, it demonstrates that the candidate is aware of everything that is going on around them and that they can maintain complete control of the vehicle using the mirrors, accelerator, clutch, footbrake, parking brake and steering wheel.

Why do you think it's 'insane'? :confused:

ChRoMe wrote:
    it must be illegal to do while actually out driving on the road??
    Why do you think it's illegal? :confused:

If it were illegal we would have to abolish all trucks and buses from our roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

jenizzle wrote: »
    I have another question about reversing around a corner.

When you start it, and a car is coming up behind you - what exactly do you do?! Stop, and indicate? Keep going with just reverse lights???

If a car comes in any direction as you are reversing around the corner, you should stop and wait for them to pass. If they come up behind you from the road you are reversing into and also going left, hopefully they will realise you are reversing around the corner on your test and will go around you, unfortunately not all drivers will realise this, and can come in behind you and block your way. If this happens, don't panic, calmly put your vehicle into 1st gear and move back around to where you started from but be sure and indicate left to signal to the driver behind you are pulling into the kerb.

A reversing vehicle NEVER has right of way, hence the reason why you must not use indicator lights and must always stop if another vehicle approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

If a car comes in any direction as you are reversing around the corner, you should stop and wait for them to pass. If they come up behind you from the road you are reversing into and also going left, hopefully they will realise you are reversing around the corner on your test and will go around you, unfortunately not all drivers will realise this, and can come in behind you and block your way. If this happens, don't panic, calmly put your vehicle into 1st gear and move back around to where you started from but be sure and indicate left to signal to the driver behind you are pulling into the kerb.

If a car comes up behind, you stop immediately, if they indicate and pass, fine. That is their lookout, taking a chance by being on the wrong side of the road on a corner. Carry on when they are clear.

If they stay left, which they should, you do your safety checks, indicate RIGHT,, move off, indicate left, go back around corner.

When stopped at side of road, indicating left has come to mean "I'm sitting here, pass me out" to vehicles approaching from rear.

Unless the approaching car driver is observant enough to take note of the reversing light you are in effect telling him "pass me out". Then you do the opposite - move out.

Advertisement