Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VEC panel of substitute teachers?

• 07-07-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Is there such a thing as a VEC panel of subsitute teachers and if so, can one register for same?
    I checked on some of the individual county VEC websites and some have job vacancies, but nothing about subsitute teachers.
    Is it a case where one registers oneself with the individual VEC school itself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Its kind of both. Email your cv to the VEC's and ask to be put on a panel for subbing, but leave it into the schools also as it usually suits them to phone people directly at 8.15 in the morning when they get a call to say someone is sick etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

In my experience, there's no point in applying to those VECs unless you have a connection on the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭kob29

Maybe the VEC in question sensed your bitter tone bobby?
    I applied for a position with a VEC outside the county i live in through a normal application process, knowing nobody in it, was interviewed by an independent panel from various VECs and got the job. Fairly transparent Id say.

We have a good few subs every year and often cant get them when theyre needed, so I dont think the principal would be looking in his little black book at 8.30 those mornings as students arrive to a teacher vacant classroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

as above, vec schools tend to individually get their own subs and don't have to advertise or interview if its for under a certain number of weeks so get your cv into each school.
    VEC itself looks after full time jobs etc

I'm the proud owner of another regretful letter from a VEC. Apparently I didn't get on the "panel" again. This is with a Masters and now the JEB. Maybe you need a PhD for the VECs now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i sent in my cv for my local vec office. got a letter back confirming that they have my cv and will contact me if anything arises?

im taking this as a positive thing.......mmm i think!!!

Got another regretful letter today, for the other subject I applied to teach. I won't be applying to a VEC again, as I don't believe their recruitment procedure is authentic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I feel your pain montgomeryclift- got one of those letters myself today. Not looking good if I can't even make the interview to get on the panel for just-in-case-a-job-comes-up teachers!

generally the vec only deals with permanent and twt jobs, schools deal with other jobs themselves i.e. parttime. VEC system is horribly transparent and open to appeal so it is very authentic but they don't want to hear from u unless they have a job advertised

To be clear, jobs were advertised on the VEC's web site.

• Advertisement

Same here- the job was advertised on the internet

sorry, didn't realise that. Thing that isn't evident is that over 100 people apply for each job and they just look at very outside criteria and cut down most. could be simply experience etc. Just keep trying.

Yeah to be honest I cant give out too much about it. The rejection letter did explain why I didnt get called for interview. They had 3 criteria for selection and I fell down in one of the areas. Im actually glad they explained why I didnt get called, I have had occasions with other potential employers where I've gotten rejected and not give a reason why.

I got no explanation. I never get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

As an employee of a VEC I can confirm all interviews are very much by the book and very transparent. The opposite of what people are implying here happens in our VEC - the best people get the job regardless of connections. I don't have a PHD but I do have a masters and qualified in the UK to teach.

To reiterate what is mentioned above competition is very hot for places especially as many are pro rata etc. When 100 CVs come in the criteria will increase all the time, eg. min three years experience teaching etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

+1 for transparency and fairness of the VEC appointment procedures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

I got a letter today from my local Vec as an invitation to attend an interview to get on a Substitute panel. Has many people experience of this? I presume it is the same as the normal questions in an interview?

Advertisement