Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yo, micks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

the average house now has a 80a esb fuse.... it will take over 110a to blow... so dont worry about the esb side of things... but the domestic 63a fuse would prob blow.....

hmmmm..... gotta make some calls!
    !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the newish enhanced domestic supply can utilise an 80amp main mcb when used with suitable tails like 25sq.recommended where there's light welding or standard heat pump .it may work 2 showers but no harm to have a non-priority controller even here

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

I found my hardcopy of the priority circuit. Up and running.

Original thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002598

The ESB casing says

60/80A SERIES 7
    TYPE II

How would I know if the fuse is 60 A or 80 A?

they were normally 80amp i think for the 12kva standard supply .maybe 100amp for the enhanced

• Advertisement

how old is the house?

Since 2003 all 80amp were standard....

be only 100amp if the run was long, or machinery present... very rarely a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Under no circumstance should anyone attempt to put a 80A Neozed fuse in their own fuse board. Devices in houses and fuseboards like your RCD are not rated above 63A so removing this backup protection by upping the fuse size falls into the bad-idea zone (i'm talking abut house fires, invalidated insurance). Btw if you blow the ESB fuse you can expect a sweet bill. You have been warned.

For two instantaneous electric showers (7-9kW) you may get away with no priority for a while but eventually say some cold Christmas morning when the two showers are going plus the cooker and the rest..POP main fuse pushed past 63A (even momentarily) and now your looking at another sweet bill for a Christmas emergency call out.

Personally when i buy i get a non-priority unit rather that a priority. I then cannibalize this to make two priority units (with addition of extra RCBO) and also have a nifty enclosure left over. Thus saving me oodles.

the 80 amp main consumer mcb is for a new enhanced supply(16kva) that many customers are getting now for the larger houses that are being built now with heat pumps ,not for the standard 12kva esb supply which has a 63amp main mcb.i've consulted with reci on this recently and they say 80amp mcb with 25sq tails but this is only for *16 kva enhanced supply*.also the size of the fuse in the esb cabinet is not normally part of the customers consideration .in the event of a problem with a priority unit that the sparkie has designed and installed himself ,such as a flood ,i was warned that the electrician may have a certain amount of responsiblity for this system which they designed and fitted themselves (as you can imagine a customer comes back to you whereas with the non-priority unit the shop is supplying it)which is why i get the customer to purchase a non-priority unit in all cases but that's me.i'm not saying thats gospel now.anyhow i'm ranting again ,you need a controller

lol this conversation has gotten a bit side tracked haha... The person should install a priority switch for the showers... all new esb installations have at least a 80amp fuse... to deal with the higher load... I'm ex esb like.... Thats at least the size fuse they put in to any new house.... Also If u blow the fuse, they wont charge... maybe in dublin they do cos its dublin, but most other places u wont be charged... you'd need a **** load of current to blow it anyway! at least 110amp or that... Its a Heavy duty fuse...

The ESB fuse isn't being changed.

I found the Priority shower circuit diagram. Up and running now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement