Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD shops renting retail copies

Options
  • 07-07-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anybody know what the deal with video shops renting retail copies of DVDs is? And selling on rental copies that are not for resale??

Is this legal? Surely not? Is there any official body that checks up on this sort of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hey all,

Anybody know what the deal with video shops renting retail copies of DVDs is? And selling on rental copies that are not for resale??

Is this legal? Surely not? Is there any official body that checks up on this sort of thing?

Nothing to do with legal or illegal, its down to whatever terms and conditions they have with their supplier.

I.E. they may be able to sell rentals after a specified period as ex-rentals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Basically their contracts with the distributors say that they're not allowed to rent retail items, but they are allowed to sell ex-rentals, simply because the ex-rentals originally cost them more than the retail items. I think it's unlikely these Ts&Cs will have changed. Who you report them to is the question, it certainly wouln't be the Garda as it's a civil issue, not criminal. It's probably INFACT, but I don't think I'd help those guys in any way tbh.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

I was under the impression that there were two types. Rentals that could be sold as ex-rentals, and rentals that couldn't be. It says on these; Rental only. Not for resale. And then on the others it says, Rental and Resale.

But regardless of this, surely they can't rent retail only copies...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

what difference does it make to the consumer tbh? the shop is making a few extra bucks, but there is no effect on the quality experienced by the consumer

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what difference does it make to the consumer tbh? the shop is making a few extra bucks, but there is no effect on the quality experienced by the consumer

This is true but is it within the law and the contract the store signed with its supplier?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As far as I'd be concerned it's the supplier's problem to check up on the video store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

3 types

For retail sale - can only be sold and should not be rented. Usually latest releases retailing at 19.99 / 29.99

For rental & resale - can be rented or sold. usually back catalogue. (films released to dvd at least 3 months)

Rental copy - For rent only, but can be sold as Ex Rental (secondhand) - usually new realease for up to 6 months after release.

Nothing in law states what a shop can do - if they rented a retail copy, it would be contravening a contract between two companies and would be dealt with by solicitiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I agree with Roundtower 2.

Does it really affect you, what they do? Id imagine, it's more likely, the smaller ones which do this, and to be honest, I'd like them to stay in business. Xtra Vision and Chartbusters suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I don't know about you guys but generally when i buy a new dvd and watch it a really long advert comes up about piracy and then one about this is a retail copy if you have rented it that is illegal or something similiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

no matter which version of the dvd you are watchin,its the same movie.What do you care which one it is.Its not a consumer issue and they arent breaking the law(although they are breaking T&C with their supplier)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rental copies of Dvds are usually made from far superior materials than the cheaper made retail copies and are designed to last much longer. Ie more scratch resistant. Many Rental shops send their damaged dvds off to get re polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Find something else to complain/worry about.

Advertisement