Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal - Integrating with website database

Options
  • 07-07-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a website I developed for a client with which users must register and pay a once-off fee in order to access the site.

I am at the stage where
    - user registers
    - account is created and marked 'for approval'
    - a rep. contacts the user for payment
    - rep uses admin area to 'approve the user'

My client wnow ants to make paying by Paypal available.. my problem is how I can integrate Paypal into the site - I have no problem providing a link to let users pay - my problem is how I can have Paypal pass info back in order to allow me set a users status to approved.

Website developed in php/mysql - I would need Paypal to pass back the user Id which I would then use to update the relevant reocrd.

Has anyone experience of doing this? Is it a robust solution?

Any help appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Good place to start would be the Paypal Developer Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You could set up a page where when clicked the user will be directed to the paypal payment page where you can have the clients header and once paid will automatically redirect back to your clients website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭mtracey

Have a search for Paypal IPN. You can pass it a reference number initially and it'll pass that information back to you once payment has gone through.

Paypal have a sandbox for testing sandbox.paypal.com (I think).
    However there was a recent issue with testing with it.... not sure if they've fixed it yet or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mtracey wrote: »
    Have a search for Paypal IPN. You can pass it a reference number initially and it'll pass that information back to you once payment has gone through.
    +1. I used this on an osCommerce site - the original site marks an account as "pending" and when the payment is made, PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) calls a PHP script on the site to change that to "paid". You could do something similar for your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Cheers all.

IPN looks the way to go alright - plenty of info out there on IPN and PHP.

Done some initial testing and have IPN calling a script on my server which does the updates - there are custom fields you can use to pass variable between your application and IPN

• Advertisement
Advertisement