Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm in London getting drunk at the GBBF :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I signed up for the 50km but I might change it for the 100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I've signed up for the 100km.

Still trying to decide whether or not I should cycle or drive to Naas. If I cycle it brings me up to about 160km for the day which sounds a bit daunting for a newbie. On the plus side, I woke up pain-free yesterday after the Saturday spin, so maybe I have it in me, I dunno.

If anyone wants the soft option in the car, I can take two with me, rack takes three bikes. Not 100% decided on the car but maybe a couple of newbies can convince me?

Anyone received their packs yet? I signed up early last week, haven't received anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just signed up myself, will likely cycle down.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all for driving, will leave you in better shape for the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i may give this a go. Don't think there is anything else on this day

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Just signed up myself, will likely cycle down.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all for driving, will leave you in better shape for the cycle.

What route would you take out to Naas? Is the N7 the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Is anyone leaving from city centre / castleknock area and cycling down that morning?

unionman wrote: »
    What route would you take out to Naas? Is the N7 the only option?
    If starting from our traditional point in Dundrum (would Harold's Cross make more sense for this one?), I'd go for something like this - Bohernabreena, crossing N81 and on back roads through Oldmilltown, Furness, Nass.

There is a bit of a hill on Bohernabreena but I don't know the route the other side of the N81 (reckon I would be OK with signposts/GPS.) From the map it looks like there is another little bit of a hill the other side of the N81 and then flat.

If a lot of people are starting from the Park might make more sense to look at another route with a meeting point further west.

I cycled the N7 as far as Naas when going to Cork and while perfectly safe (there is a big hard shoulder) it was no fun at all. Would be even worse in a group I reckon!

I'm presuming you mean cycling here BTW, driving the N7 would be fine :D

blorg wrote: »
    I'm presuming you mean cycling here BTW, driving the N7 would be fine :D

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Oh yeah, my uncle is doing this too, so there'll be a bit of family rivalry on the day.

He's doing it as part of his training for the Crumlin Children's Hospital cycle in California where he has the unenviable task of cycling 60-100km a day for five days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm hoping to be up to doing this one, 100km on mostly flat ground seems like a good intermediate step for working up to some of the tougher events out there.

Does anyone know if they have published the route on google maps or mapmyride.com - might have a training go at it beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

E@gle. wrote: »
    Don't think there is anything else on this day

Well there's the Mourne Sportive: http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/sportive/home.html

rogerb wrote: »
    Well there's the Mourne Sportive: http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/sportive/home.html

thats too far away ;)

Has anyone received their information pack or wristband for Sunday.

I registered a few weeks ago but all I received in the post was a receipt from the Marie Keating Foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I registered for the 100km last week - got the receipt but no info pack or wristband yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Registered for it yesterday. I didn't know I was meant to get anything in the post. Was just going to print out my receipt and show up.

I'm going to bring the receipt also if nothing arrives.

Here's the link saying you must wear the wristband on the day.

http://naascc.terapad.com/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.vfinhdiqigkuvzoi&pageId=167765

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I'm going to bring the receipt also if nothing arrives.

Here's the link saying you must wear the wristband on the day.

http://naascc.terapad.com/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.vfinhdiqigkuvzoi&pageId=167765

Ah, didn't spot that.

The line about encouraging riders to pre-register indicates that registration is also allowed on the day. If I had to guess, I'd say you could get a wristband if you present a receipt on the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

is it cheaper to pre-register, or do you just get a discount from wheelworx if you do? probably too late to prereg now and still be sure of getting the stuff in the post.

I got the receipt but no wristband either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i got a letter and receipt but no wristband

Is there many from boards doing this tour?? I hope to make it up as well.

Sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat. Can't imagine they'd turn a rake of people away who'd paid their money.

Looks like a good few boards people are doing it. Perhaps we shoudl try and get a list going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mmmm, I want to enter but am also not sure if I should pre-register online at this stage or just show up on the day.

What's the story with the €10 day membership for Cycling Ireland - how does that compare to what a full membership would cost?

I found this route on mapmyride.com - can anyone confirm if this is the correct route for this year's event?

I've asked both questions in a query submitted on their website but wonder when they'll come back to me.

What kind of times will you guys be targetting for this mainly flat 100km course? I have only done a couple of long events so am targetting 3hr 45mins as a decent goal for my level. Would I be one of the stagglers based on that?

Mmmm, I want to enter but am also not sure if I should pre-register online at this stage or just show up on the day.

I don't know. I'm taking the view that having a receipt for online payment should be enough. Shame there isn't a phone number to call.
    What's the story with the €10 day membership for Cycling Ireland - how does that compare to what a full membership would cost?

Standard membership for the year is €30. It would probably take more than a week for your application to clear though.
    I found this route on mapmyride.com - can anyone confirm if this is the correct route for this year's event?

Looks like it. There's a route map on the Naas website you can compare it to.
    What kind of times will you guys be targetting for this mainly flat 100km course? I have only done a couple of long events so am targetting 3hr 45mins as a decent goal for my level. Would I be one of the stagglers based on that?

I'd be gunning for 3hrs, but that depends on whether I'm in a decent bunch or not and if there aren't too many hold ups with traffic. I'll be doing it with a mate though and we'll probably try to stick together.

Usually with these things there's a whole range of people doing them. You're likely to be far from the slowest. Trick would be to find a bunch that's going at a pace comfortable to you and stick with them.

I'll be aiming for c. 4 hours.

I've never done 100km so I'm not aiming for anything, just to complete it, so I should be towards the back.

I entered for the 50km but I presume they'll change it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

This is my first event and my first 100km. I would expect do averge 25/26 km/h doing it solo so maybe an extra 2/3 km/h if I can get in a bunch.

Somewhere around 3:30 - 3:45 would be my target time so if you are one of the stragglers you'll be straggling alongside me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

el tonto wrote: »
    Looks like a good few boards people are doing it. Perhaps we shoudl try and get a list going.

I'll hopefully be doing the 100k with a friend. If Sat night after croker football isn't too heavy!

72oo

• Advertisement

Standard membership for the year is €30. It would probably take more than a week for your application to clear though.
    I had no idea it was so cheap, I guess that is the non-racing license- will certainly make sure to be in next year, will have paid more than that in day licenses.
    I'd be gunning for 3hrs, but that depends on whether I'm in a decent bunch or not and if there aren't too many hold ups with traffic. I'll be doing it with a mate though and we'll probably try to stick together.

Usually with these things there's a whole range of people doing them. You're likely to be far from the slowest. Trick would be to find a bunch that's going at a pace comfortable to you and stick with them.
    Who are you doing it with Tonto? I may try to stick with your group but don't know if I'd keep it up over the 100km! Maybe if I stick behind you. Are you cycling down or have other transportation?

Advertisement