Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Kildare

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    I had no idea it was so cheap, I guess that is the non-racing license- will certainly make sure to be in next year, will have paid more than that in day licenses.

I thought you were joining a club next year anyway?
    Who are you doing it with Tonto? I may try to stick with your group but don't know if I'd keep it up over the 100km! Maybe if I stick behind you.

My friend P (Bianchi guy) is supposed to be doing it with me, but I'm not sure if he's signed up yet. Seriously, you'll have no problem keeping up with us. We could try and get a few more boardsies into the group and try a proper rotating paceline? Or we could just tack onto the back of a bigger group?
    Are you cycling down or have other transportation?
    If P decides to drive down, I'll probably go with him. Otherwise we'll ride down. Looking forward to doing the Mad Cow roundabout on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes I plan to join a club next year, this would just be one more reason. Didn't know the stand-alone Cycling Ireland membership was so cheap.

OK, I think we could give that a go- I managed to keep up 33.5km/h average over the 20km in my triathlon but as we all know it is easier in a group so maybe I can stick to that over the 100. I did actually get over 30km/h moving average on the ROK. 100km in 3 hours just sounds like a pretty impressive feat! Rotating paceline could work well. Are we going to have to practice "pro" urination? :D

Regarding cycling down- I was thinking of another route myself over Bohernabreena and back roads, I've done the Mad Cow and indeed N7 as far as Naas before and it isn't exactly scenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If anyone fancies a training run early on Saturday morning then I would be happy to tag along. Will be cycling from Phoenix Pk over much of the Kildare route on my way down the country on Saturday morning. Would be glad of the company as far as Properous (or further).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes I plan to join a club next year, this would just be one more reason. Didn't know the stand-alone Cycling Ireland membership was so cheap.

Yeah, its when you get into the competition licenses that things start to get more expensive.
    OK, I think we could give that a go- I managed to keep up 33.5km/h average over the 20km in my triathlon but as we all know it is easier in a group so maybe I can stick to that over the 100. I did actually get over 30km/h moving average on the ROK. 100km in 3 hours just sounds like a pretty impressive feat! Rotating paceline could work well. Are we going to have to practice "pro" urination? :D

I was near a 32kph average on the first half of the ROK. It was a hillier route and I wasn't pushing that hard, so I reckon its doable, especially if you're in a group of around 10 or 12.
    Regarding cycling down- I was thinking of another route myself over Bohernabreena and back roads, I've done the Mad Cow and indeed N7 as far as Naas before and it isn't exactly scenic.

I'll probably just take the N7. Given that its an early start I just want to get there as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

I'm looking to complete it in 3hrs myself, I would be glab to meet up with a decent pace group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

digitalage wrote: »
    I'm looking to complete it in 3hrs myself, I would be glab to meet up with a decent pace group.

A few of us from my club should be heading up, so pace should be decent, a few of our rival neighbouring clubs will be there also, so we got to hammer them to the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

el tonto wrote: »
    I'll probably just take the N7. Given that its an early start I just want to get there as quickly as possible.

I've decided to cycle down, I might join you on the N7 if that's ok with you?

Hoping to complete in 4 hours / avg 25kmh. First ever event so hoping that is realistic.

Re: meeting up at the start. I presume it won't be that hard given that a lot of folks will probably be wearing their boards gear?
    unionman wrote: »
    I've decided to cycle down, I might join you on the N7 if that's ok with you?

Grand job. I'll keep you posted and let you know if we're riding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

Its looking like it will be an enjoyable spin, just hope the weather is ok.

^+1

• Advertisement

Yes. It'll be the like the ROK again, with all of us looking out the window at the weather for the rest of the week. I'm always worried that a rainy day with a mass start of cyclists of varying ability will turn into a bit of a crashfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RJGMovie

What time does the 20km start at, and where does it finish? (only a beginner!).

RJGMovie wrote: »
    What time does the 20km start at, and where does it finish? (only a beginner!).

That's a good question. Neither of the shorter routes are posted and as for start times, all the website says is:

"Sign on for the 100k and 50k will open at 8.30 am for a 10am start"

I actually thought it was an 8:30am start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

El Tonto/ Blorg & co. Am down to do this event and in two minds about cycling or driving down. Used the car the last time did an event with Naas club (for 'Twin Peaks Challenge'). It was was a wet start and I have to say I was glad to have the dry clothes in the car (for afterward) plus options of various gear before event started (using car as large kit-bag). If you are heading, let us know and will try meet up perhaps? Don't unfortunately have Boards top yet (Penexpers?) might use the bright yellow Blazing Saddles top if it helps. All we need now is the weather....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cadex wrote: »
    El Tonto/ Blorg & co. Am down to do this event and in two minds about cycling or driving down. Used the car the last time did an event with Naas club (for 'Twin Peaks Challenge'). It was was a wet start and I have to say I was glad to have the dry clothes in the car (for afterward) plus options of various gear before event started (using car as large kit-bag). If you are heading, let us know and will try meet up perhaps? Don't unfortunately have Boards top yet (Penexpers?) might use the bright yellow Blazing Saddles top if it helps. All we need now is the weather....

Sorry, there was another thread about the tops, I think they are closed for holidays and they didn't get our order out in time. It'll be another couple of weeks methinks.

That's a good question. Neither of the shorter routes are posted and as for start times, all the website says is:

"Sign on for the 100k and 50k will open at 8.30 am for a 10am start"

I actually thought it was an 8:30am start.

The letter says the 100k and the 50k start at 9:30am and the 20k starts at 12. Start and finish in Naas Court Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cadex wrote: »
    I might take you up on this depending on weather- especially if the plan is to try to do sub-3 and I am not 100% sure I will be good on Saturday night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RJGMovie

Thanks for the starting time. Does anyone know the route of the 20km ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Blorg, OK grand- keep in touch (have my number too, don't you? PM me if not). We can do either depending on weather (and your various other factors!).

Penexpers, also grand. It'll arrive whenever. Let us know when you know. Factory probably closed for August. Very sensible these continentals....!

3 Day Outlook

"Showers will become more scattered on Thursday night and winds will gradually ease. Apart from a few isolated showers, Friday will be dry with bright spells and light winds. It will be windy for much of the weekend. Outbreaks of persistent and sometimes heavy rain on Saturday will be followed by showers on Sunday, many of the showers heavy. Continuing very unsettled early next week with showers or longer spells of rain each day." :mad::eek::mad::eek:

• Advertisement

Oh I finally figured out the hill they are talking about. I think it's the one in Kilcullen Village - if so, people with compacts or triples are going to be at a definite advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

penexpers wrote: »
    Oh I finally figured out the hill they are talking about. I think it's the one in Kilcullen Village - if so, people with compacts or triples are going to be at a definite advantage.

Is this "The Wall" they mention on the website?

I think so yeah. I've never cycled up it, only down it, thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Jaysus, is it that bad!

According to the map, it doesn't go through Kilcullen?

According to the map, it doesn't go through Kilcullen?

Ah crap, well spotted. Should zoom in more the next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

This whole thing seems to be a bit hit and miss with the organization - no route maps for the 50/20 km options, conflicting start times on the website (10) and that which was sent out in the post (9:30)
    At the moment I don't know if I'm doing it or not, undecided still. Will depend on the weather mostly I think. Will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Actually think it the Hill of Allen. About half way point. Not that bad, I mean that I can get up it. So half you boys should have no bother going up at speed.

Advertisement