Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a commuter

Options
  • 07-07-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently using a mountain bike with slicks but want to upgrade to a roadbike with flat bars. Ideally with disk brakes if possible. Any recommendations welcome.
    HJS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Disc brakes limits your choices somewhat. I had a Kona Dew Deluxe that had disk brakes and 35c tires which I found to be very good for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Specialized Sirrus can come with mechanical disc brakes. More of a hybrid than a road bike, but finding a road bike with disc brakes might be a bit tough. Look at cyclocross bikes perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I don't have one of these but are you looking for something like this Giant Escape R1

I just remember seeing them on there at one stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

OK so if I was to abandon the disk brake idea what would you recommend for under €1200-€1500 tops

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Consider the Chris Boardman bikes from Halfords- they get decent reviews, a lot of bike for the money, and the "performance hybrids" sound exactly like what you are looking for - flat bar, road-leaning hybrids with disk brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Giant FCR range, Lapierre RCR range, Spesh sirrus range all come well under that price bracket, from around 450 euro upwards. Since it seems like you have the cash I'd recommend carbon forks to reduce road buzz a bit (e.g. FCR2, RCR300 I think, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I've got this which I have to say I love:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp;jsessionid=D56479C5C6CC4B3B624B46C63F823AF7.tc8?style=86548

Disc brakes although no carbon on it so a bit heavier than you might like, I ride it mostly around town which is why the extra sturdiness appeals to me

just came down £50 in price too - dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Love my Kona dew plus I got from wiggle.
    I've updated a few things on it. Flat bars and clipless pedals. :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032788&N=Kona%20Dew%20Plus%202008

Wheel base is a shorter than I'd usually like though.

Advertisement