Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young manga drawers In Dublin looking for a break

Options
  • 07-07-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm a 15 year old girl with a lot of flare for manga. I've been drawing since I was 10 years old and in my opinion i think I'm good. I'm a hard worker and I need a break everyone is telling me I should do something about this raw talent so I'm trying now. I'm still in school and I plan on going to College also. In the meantime want to further my skills and i need help to do that. Could I get an apprenticeship somewhere? Am I too young? Would anyone even take me on and if so where? I don't want to waste another summer not doing what I love. I can do any type of drawing my preference is manga. I live in Dublin and from what I can see there's nothing here that fits in to what I'm passionate about and what I want as a career. I'm really just looking for an opportunity here could someone please just point me in the right direction or do anything for me? I don't even know where to start and I would really appreciate it more then anything. Can anyone give me a place to go? THANKS :D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Tokyopop do a competiton called "Rising Stars of Manga" where people can submit their work with the winners getting published.

You can read more about it here, someone from Tokyopop themselves might be able to give more information ( I know we have lurkers ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Post up some of your work. Why not reach the largest audience early?

P.S. I am not from any manga producer I am just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'd avoid the Tokyopop raising stars given the recent blogging storm over their new manga pilot contracts and the fact that they've canceled all their current OEL mangas and will only be developing new work for the web not for print. They also recently let half their staff go, pulled out of SDCC, Anime Next and a heap of other big comic/manga cons, and are going through a major shake up - give it a bit to see what happens when the dust settles.

Your best route is to get your work online for feedback and critique - blogs, livejournals, myspace, devinatart are all free to use and offer various levels of feedback, you can take life drawing classes in dublin to improve your drawing skills. If you feel your ready you can self publish your work and bring it to cons. Check the newly created comics production forum for a list of cons here, in the uk and states as well as other resource links. There are a number of comic and manga events taking place this fall in Dublin check both this forum and the comics forum for more information.

24 hour comics day is on the weekend of October 18th were people draw comics for 24 hours - its open to all forums of sequential art including manga, american comics, alternative comics, etc etc and all ages [had two 12 year olds take part last year]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Set yourself up an account on www.deviantart.com and start on your portfolio.

Lots of companies are starting to look at Portfolio's there now. I know of one person who got picked up to concept draw for the Final Fantasy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dragan wrote: »
    Set yourself up an account on www.deviantart.com and start on your portfolio.

Lots of companies are starting to look at Portfolio's there now. I know of one person who got picked up to concept draw for the Final Fantasy games.
    First lesson of devianTart: don't listen to people who "love" your work, they're invariably idiotic fanboys/girls who love, well, ANYTHING.

God that site is so full of arse kissers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 XthemangaloverX

thanks for the ideas i'll figure something out i just really want to get my stuff out there :D thanks for replying i hope i'll get more ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    First lesson of devianTart: don't listen to people who "love" your work, they're invariably idiotic fanboys/girls who love, well, ANYTHING.

God that site is so full of arse kissers...
    yea every once in a while i get a Oh Hey Overheal I love that drawing you did god the lighting was amazing. Then I look at their profile and find crayon drawings of their pet cat :/

Advertisement