Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese men who stabbed Garda given seven year jail sentences

• 07-07-2008 4:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Two Chinese men have been given seven year sentences for an armed robbery on female fellow-nationals in Dublin, in which they stabbed a Garda.

25-year-old Xiang Cheng and 28-year-old Qian Cheng aka Jian Gong Ten, both of no fixed abode, were found guilty in April of assaulting Garda James Hendrick causing him harm at Main Street, Raheny on July 13th, 2005.

Both had denied the charge but pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and the false imprisonment of female fellow-nationals in their house in Raheny on the same date.

Judge Tony Hunt imposed seven year terms for the aggravated burglary and false imprisonment charges, but suspended the last two and a half years.

He sentenced the men to concurrent terms of four years for assaulting Garda Hendrick.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

So this means they're looking at 4.5 years each for aggravated burglary, false imprisonment and stabbing a Garda? And maybe this could be reduced with good behaviour, or is good behaviour implicitly required to suspend the last 2.5 years?

EDIT: "Judge Tony Hunt imposed seven year terms for the aggravated burglary and false imprisonment charges, but suspended the last two and a half years." Does this mean they're looking at 4.5 years on both charges of Agg. Burglary and False Imprisonment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

psni wrote: »
    He sentenced the men to concurrent terms of four years for assaulting Garda Hendrick.

Just goes to show what the judiciary think of the gardai, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Im baffled, is this connected to the Raheny incident? I thought that was done and dusted a long time ago?

(If its the same case I owe a poster an apology) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

TheNog wrote: »
    Just goes to show what the judiciary think of the gardai, eh?

Don't start. The number one source of frustration for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Im baffled, is this connected to the Raheny incident? I thought that was done and dusted a long time ago?

(If its the same case I owe a poster an apology) :(

Ha i remember this allright you had a right go at him about this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement