Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best family car for €150 road tax p/a?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Whats the best family car out there for peanuts in road tax?

Qashqai, Laguna?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Loads of low emissions diesels around. Huge choice.

It's much easier to dismiss the no hopers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My reccomendation specifically would be a Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9TDI estate.Under 25K incl metallic paint.Plebty of go for overtaking and very ecnomical when you want it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

What about 520d ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Zonda999 wrote: »
    My reccomendation specifically would be a Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9TDI estate.Under 25K incl metallic paint.Plebty of go for overtaking and very ecnomical when you want it to be

Not even the most ardent VAG group devotee would claim the stone age 1.9tdi lump is even remotely competitive at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hs a huge boot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Octavia or
    Peugeot 407 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

By "family car" I presume we're talking about cars in the D segment, in which case it has to be the Mondeo ECOnetic, unless there's something truly awful about the way it drives, because it is fantastic to travel in.

I really can't believe that a tractor engine from 1993 combined with a good, but not extraordinary car is the best car in band B for VRT, especially when the brand new common rail lump from VAG is also in band B in the much classier sister car, the A3 and even the brand new A4 with up to 170 bhp from September.

Besides the Octavia is from the class below: small family cars or the C segment.

Ye know, i have never found the VAG 1.9tdi to be unbelievably loud, especially in the current crop of cars.Honestly, in the Golf or Octavia, its only ever loud at low speeds.At cruising speeds, its no louder than most of its rivals.On performance terms considering its power, its still up there.the 105 feels as quick as any other diesel engine of that output
    Still, though, its reign is nearly over in the cars that matter.New 1.6tdi comin next year.
    As for the octavia being in the C segment, this is debatable.I think it is the best of both worlds, a huge boot and comfortable space for passengers.It is as big a car as a Peugeot 406 and as practical as most in the sector.
    Finally that common rail lump is the 2.0tdi, there has been no CR version of the 1.9 and it looks like there wont be at all before its put to bed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Peugeot 407 ;)[/QUOTE]

+1 a 407 1.6hdi or laguna 1.5dci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

+1 for the Laguna 1.5 dci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

What about Volvo S40 or V50, 1.6 D SE models?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I must say I'm getting some laugh out of this thread with some of the suggestions.

@Zonda999: I'm on about the A3 2.0 TDI. That car still offers the tractor engine as well though.

Since the Octavia is based on the Golf, and the Superb is designed to compete with the Mondeo, Passat etc that really leaves it with no other option. To be fair it is a bit of a hybrid in so far as it's big for the Golf category but not big enough for the Passat category.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

I think That you should go for a Kia Ceed_SW 1.6 dsl, €23000 7 year warranty, Can't go rong on that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

drver1 wrote: »
    I think That you should go for a Kia Ceed_SW 1.6 dsl, €23000 7 year warranty, Can't go rong on that,

If I was 10 years older in a heartbeat, its a fantastic package, imagine how good the Ceed V2 will be.

I wouldnt go french at all at all to be honest, stevie
    Renault say there will be no reliablilty problems with the laguna, but only time will tell on that one
    Peugeot 406, Looks great but not all that spacious for a family car and off the pace in most areas
    Citroen C5, I dont thinkt he new one even gets into 150e road tax, does it??

Peugeot 407 ;)

+1 a 407 1.6hdi or laguna 1.5dci[/QUOTE]

You can't fit a set of golf clubs in a 407 boot. Seriously.

I'll hold fire on the Laguna. Somebody else will save me the bother I hope.

Ahh Zonda, don't discount the poor old French, the C5 is a cracker and I'm still hankering after a 2.0HDI exclusive, but yes, the tax on that is a far cry from €150.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Ye know, i have never found the VAG 1.9tdi to be unbelievably loud, especially in the current crop of cars.Honestly, in the Golf or Octavia, its only ever loud at low speeds.At cruising speeds, its no louder than most of its rivals.On performance terms considering its power, its still up there.the 105 feels as quick as any other diesel engine of that output
    Still, though, its reign is nearly over in the cars that matter.New 1.6tdi comin next year.
    As for the octavia being in the C segment, this is debatable.I think it is the best of both worlds, a huge boot and comfortable space for passengers.It is as big a car as a Peugeot 406 and as practical as most in the sector.
    Finally that common rail lump is the 2.0tdi, there has been no CR version of the 1.9 and it looks like there wont be at all before its put to bed

You need to get your hearing checked :D

The 1.9 tdi is very old hat, unrefined, quite coarse even, not particularly powerful these days, not especially economical nor green either.

If you must have a VAG car a 2.0tdi is streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wont sombody please think of the boot on the Octavia. Oh the humanity.

My vote goes to the Laguna. It'll be my next car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Whats the best family car out there for peanuts in road tax?

Qashqai, Laguna?

Is this question just for a matter of interest? Or are you really determined to buy a car in the lowest tax band?
    Also, I thought you had almost decided on a C5 (which, as I've pointed out before is hopeless in terms of CO2/bhp ratio 'cos it's based on an oldish, heavy design)?

THe difference between Bands A & B is only €50. Between B & C it's €140. One way or another it's not a lot of money considering the €€€€€s involved in buying and running a new car. I'd rather pay a little more & get something with decent power & spec...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

pburns wrote: »
    Is this question just for a matter of interest? Or are you really determined to buy a car in the lowest tax band?
    Also, I thought you had almost decided on a C5 (which, as I've pointed out before is hopeless in terms of CO2/bhp ratio 'cos it's based on an oldish, heavy design)?

THe difference between Bands A & B is only €50. Between B & C it's €140. One way or another it's not a lot of money considering the €€€€€s involved in buying and running a new car. I'd rather pay a little more & get something with decent power & spec...

+1

pburns wrote: »

Yeah, just interested really, quite a few nice cars at €150 per year. But no, I would happily pay more per year in road tax to be driving the car I want, and the C5 still tops the billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Bobo78 wrote: »
    +1 for the Laguna 1.5 dci

Lets hope the new Laguna is better than the old model

You need to get your hearing checked :D

The 1.9 tdi is very old hat, unrefined, quite coarse even, not particularly powerful these days, not especially economical nor green either.

If you must have a VAG car a 2.0tdi is streets ahead.

Well, my hearing aint the greatest in the world tbh:D.That said, it wouldnt kill me to endure the noise of the 1.9tdi.It clearly doesnt bother a whole lot of people actually because its probably the best selling diesel engine in this country!!Look at how many cars its in??I'd say the only other engine that comes close to it is PSA's 1.6hdi(That aint particularly quiet either, i have to say).Just goes to show that it doesnt bother that many people. I guess refinement is only important to some. Only a year left in the engine anyway before it'll be phased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Scottie99 wrote: »

Fingers crossed:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Scottie99 wrote: »

Well I wouldn't buy one personally but...

I did test-drive one whilst car-shopping and was impressed with the refinement of the 1.5d engine and general quality. I like the fact it hasn't morphed into whale-size proportions like the Mondeo.

Advertisement