Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC MediaBox Volume Control Issue

• 07-07-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Last week UPC/NTL/Chorus/whateveritscalled upgraded me with their new huge MediaBox (Pace DC621KU). Since then I haven’t been able to change the volume level by using a remote (which was smoothly done with my old PACE STB). After some web research I found out that in order to change volume, my brand new remote can now be programmed (using unique TV manufacturer codes) to control my television’s VOLUME and MUTE functions directly. Yeaaahh! :cool:

But wait a minute :confused: ... what if I don’t have a TV!?! :eek: In my case the signal goes straight from the media box tuner to a USB TV card and finally appears on the LCD of my laptop. And as you might have figured it out by now, my laptop just as most of other PCs, has NO infrared / remote control receiver! I‘ve been trying to find a simple solution but I’ve got a feeling that this 'huuuuge' technology upgrade will cost me losing some pounds on moving my b... every time I need to adjust the volume (manually) :mad:

So, am I back to the 80’s (thanks to the genius who designed the new media box so ‘carefully’), or is there some kind of solution out there (for people not who have no TV remote control or have an unsupported one) that I am not aware of? :confused:

I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Sharwean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, some laptops do have a volume control and a remote control.

The settop boxes are designed for use with a TV, they output the sound at a preset level, for most viewers this is ideal.

Sky boxes are the same too.

I'd say you could look into a bluetooth remote for your computer e.g. a wireless keyboard, would set you back under €80 for a decent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Apologies if this is no use, I don't think I have the same box as you so the code might not be the same:

I have a very cheap tv and there is no code for it. Also, the code search thing wouldn't work. So I can't change the television volume through the UPC remote. However I contacted UPC and they told me of a procedure to make the UPC remote change the UPC box's volume:
    NTL wrote:
    To over come this the DVR remote can be tuned to set the volume through the STB instead of the TV set

You can set this up using the following 'quick guide'. Please be advised that you don't see anything happen on TV or the STB while you're doing this

- Press the UPC button. The UPC button will illuminate once.
    - Press RED and OK together until the UPC button flashes twice
    - Enter code: 993 (after the last digit the UPC button flashes twice again)
    - Press the volume up button (the UPC button flashes four times)
    - When this is done, the remote control won't send IR-command's to the TV set but only to the STB, including volume and mute

Apologies again if this isn't what you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharwean

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Apologies if this is no use, I don't think I have the same box as you so the code might not be the same:

I have a very cheap tv and there is no code for it. Also, the code search thing wouldn't work. So I can't change the television volume through the UPC remote. However I contacted UPC and they told me of a procedure to make the UPC remote change the UPC box's volume:

Apologies again if this isn't what you're talking about

Problem solved! :D I owe you a pint! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

as do i cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr. Smith

This may be useful to some of you.

Note all the information below is to allow you to set-up the upc remote so that it will operate the volume on either your tv or dvd/home cinema system when the remote is in upc mode.

Use the procedure above to change the remote as mentioned.

If you require to change the remote back so that it works the volume on the TV again, do the following.

1. Press the UPC Button

2. Hold down the "OK" and "red" buttons until the UPS button flashes twice

3. Enter 993 and the UPC button will flash twice again.

4. Now press the TV button, the upc button will flash again.

Your remote is now back to the way it was when you got it.

I'm sure there are many people out there who have a dvd player with home cinema built in, and would therefore like if the remote could be set-up so that the volume buttons operate the volume on your dvd player instead of your tv.

Here is what you do.

1. First off you need to put the right code into the remote so that is can actually operate your dvd device. ( See the manual for information on how to do this)

2. Press the upc button on the remote.

3. Hold down the "ok" and "red" buttons until the upc button flashes twice.

4. Enter 993 and the upc button will flash twice again.

5. Now press the dvd-r button, the upc button will flash again.

Now when you use the volume up or down on the remote the dvd-r button should light up. So if you have put in the correct code for you dvd device you will now be able to control the volume.

Hope this all makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... having the same issue, I used the advice above and I can now mute it but the volume control only seems to have 2 settings, on and off. I'm connecting to my amp via the coax cable. Something as basic as volume control should really be a given out of the box.

Plus I didn't get any manual with it when the UPC guys installed it so I had to scour the internet to find one, then I find that there doesn't seem to be a remote code for the amp i'm using (Onkyo 606) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

sharwean wrote: »
    Hi all,

Last week UPC/NTL/Chorus/whateveritscalled upgraded me with their new huge MediaBox (Pace DC621KU). Since then I haven’t been able to change the volume level by using a remote (which was smoothly done with my old PACE STB). After some web research I found out that in order to change volume, my brand new remote can now be programmed (using unique TV manufacturer codes) to control my television’s VOLUME and MUTE functions directly. Yeaaahh! :cool:

But wait a minute :confused: ... what if I don’t have a TV!?! :eek: In my case the signal goes straight from the media box tuner to a USB TV card and finally appears on the LCD of my laptop. And as you might have figured it out by now, my laptop just as most of other PCs, has NO infrared / remote control receiver! I‘ve been trying to find a simple solution but I’ve got a feeling that this 'huuuuge' technology upgrade will cost me losing some pounds on moving my b... every time I need to adjust the volume (manually) :mad:

So, am I back to the 80’s (thanks to the genius who designed the new media box so ‘carefully’), or is there some kind of solution out there (for people not who have no TV remote control or have an unsupported one) that I am not aware of? :confused:

I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Sharwean

Just out of interest, on the new hd box, the volume is controlled without the need for an ir receiver on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I'm having a similar problem on my tv, but I don't have the DVR.

I recently got switched over to the new cable boxes, and on my second tv the volume can only be operated through the tv remote and not the chorus one. I'm not at home at present so can't check, but I don't think I have a UPC button on the remote so I don't think the previous solution will work for me. Also, since the new set top box was installed, the tv won't start up on AV3 scart where I have the chorus box connected... I have to manually toggle to AV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

thanks you! this solved the problem for my setup too.

pity the UPC installers don't know this trick! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Thank you - solved my problem too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 postmeister

Folks, I wonder if anyone can help with this problem?
    I have an widescreen Orion TV – 32FKC TV32f26 – which I am trying to set permanently on ‘widescreen (16:9)’. I do not have the original remote control for the set, but I find that both a Phillips and a Bush tv remote work almost all of the options, including the one allowing me to set screen size.
    However, when the set is linked up to a digital NTL box, the 16:9 widescreen setting reverts to 4: 3 on some channels, like Discovery Civilisation, and has to be reset to widescreen while on that channel, each time, which is a real pain. Other channels remain at the 16:9 setting, it seems. When I flick back the troublesome channels, again, though, the set switches back to 4:3, and I have to change the setting again.:confused:
    The tv does not seem to accept any input from the buttons on the set itself, aside from on/off.
    [font=&quot]Any suggestions?[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 37 glanzamike

thank for the help.i needed this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Mr. Smith wrote: »
    This may be useful to some of you.

Note all the information below is to allow you to set-up the upc remote so that it will operate the volume on either your tv or dvd/home cinema system when the remote is in upc mode.

Use the procedure above to change the remote as mentioned.

If you require to change the remote back so that it works the volume on the TV again, do the following.

1. Press the UPC Button

2. Hold down the "OK" and "red" buttons until the UPS button flashes twice

3. Enter 993 and the UPC button will flash twice again.

4. Now press the TV button, the upc button will flash again.

Your remote is now back to the way it was when you got it.

I'm sure there are many people out there who have a dvd player with home cinema built in, and would therefore like if the remote could be set-up so that the volume buttons operate the volume on your dvd player instead of your tv.

Here is what you do.

1. First off you need to put the right code into the remote so that is can actually operate your dvd device. ( See the manual for information on how to do this)

2. Press the upc button on the remote.

3. Hold down the "ok" and "red" buttons until the upc button flashes twice.

4. Enter 993 and the upc button will flash twice again.

5. Now press the dvd-r button, the upc button will flash again.

Now when you use the volume up or down on the remote the dvd-r button should light up. So if you have put in the correct code for you dvd device you will now be able to control the volume.

Hope this all makes sense.

this also works for the HD box

• Registered Users Posts: 33 toreadorx2001

dunworth1 wrote: »
    this also works for the HD box
    hi there . I have a UPC DIGI RECORDER box . The tv(Samsung LCD 40 in ) does not respond correctly from remote control as in , if i change tv stations i might get Menu or it might go to channel 608 or any other one besides the one that i prompt . does anyone have any ideas . have tried it on another tv and it is okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks Mr. Smith, our HD DVR was set to control its internal volume by default unlike our old Thomson DVR which would control the TV's, I didn't know this could be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone got a explanation/resolution to this problem ?
    It's driving me nuts :(... Channels won't change then will , then change itself whilst watching .

Remote works fine then goes bonkers . I have the UPC PACE Mediabox hooked up to my Samsung La46a LCD.
    Only thing that's confusing is when I switch off my TV I can scan through the channels like lightening (see on the digital display on STD)

I have read a small note about possible interference between Samsung LCD and this particular STB , anyone any input ?

It's soooooo frustrating .

mixednuts wrote: »
    It's driving me nuts :(... Channels won't change then will , then change itself whilst watching .

Remote works fine then goes bonkers . I have the UPC PACE Mediabox hooked up to my Samsung La46a LCD.
    Only thing that's confusing is when I switch off my TV I can scan through the channels like lightening (see on the digital display on STD)

I have read a small note about possible interference between Samsung LCD and this particular STB , anyone any input ?

try putting some masking tape over the ir recivier

hi there , Mixed Nuts .... i am having the same probs as u with my Samsung LCD 46 in TV. have tried it with my other tv( 40 in lcd) in and it is ok . tried it with the 46in in another room ..also ok. . have had UPC out,they tried another box and another remote in the origional room .same prob . and then they suggested i take the buff glass doors of tv cabinet or as was suggested ( might be blocking signal).They blamed the tv. TV still under warranty so i got SAMSUNG agent (Bennet Audio and Visual Services . Ph 01/4018103 in Rathcole) out .Tried all sorts of ideas to no avail and am waiting for word back from their Technical Dept in the UK....it's a mystery . Will let u know if i have any success

where did u hear of the interference info

Cheers for the response ...

I might have diagnosed the problem but little early to confirm .
    No harm in both of us trying ....

Take the batteries out of the Samsung remote ( don't laugh ;)

Let me know if the problem is resolved ,

^^^^forget about my above suggestion ^^^

Box went mental again around 6pm :mad:

Why does it work for a couple of hours then not ???

Called UPC and went ballistic , finally they admitted there is a problem with the STB and LCD TV .
    They suggested fix was to put masking tape over the IR receiver on the TV and STB ... What a load of cock !
    It will reduce the IR signal and prevent IR flooding , which they think is the issue .
    They said it's not just UPC that has this issue but SKY boxes aswell .. Can anyone confirm ?

Calling tomorrow to get the whole lot taken out , I have had enough , and they can swing if they think I buying out if the remaining months contract .
    4 tech call outs , 2 STB later ... No way .
    Let the small claim courts decide.

Rant over.

M

• Advertisement

Called UPC and went ballistic , finally they admitted there is a problem with the STB and LCD TV .
    They suggested fix was to put masking tape over the IR receiver on the TV and STB ... What a load of cock !
    It will reduce the IR signal and prevent IR flooding , which they think is the issue .
    They said it's not just UPC that has this issue but SKY boxes aswell .. Can anyone confirm ?

Calling tomorrow to get the whole lot taken out , I have had enough , and they can swing if they think I buying out if the remaining months contract .

Rant over.

M

what they have said is true as i suggested above put some masking tape over the ir reviver but it was ignored

Rant over.

M
    tried what u suggested .No go. can see where u r coming from . Samsung Agent thought it might be something with a signal such as remote control not in use or in house cordless phone . Have u tried in another room or another tv. I know it might be hassle but i tried it with another tv( 40 in lcd) .. ok and then in another room with 46in in another room also ok, but it is very annoying ,will give the masking tape a go . Nothing to loose at this stage

Rant over.

M
    Have tried the masking tape .. no go .. tell u what though, we have more than just remote probs in common .... I am goin ballistic as well!!!

Hi Mixed Nuts
    Called upc .. as u say .. they are aware of the prob , "They are working on it". They have waived the 5 euro charge for the recorder box

so in the mean time if u hear of anything i would be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cyril706

Hi there,
    I'm having some problems with my UPC remote control. To solve this, I bought a Universal Remote Control, but now I have problem on finding the correct code for my UPC Media Box.
    Could any one help me.

Thanks a million

hi there Cyril706,
    Firstly , if ur remote was faulty , UPC should replace free . U dont say what was happening with ur remote ??? might be media box probs ???. I had probs with remote and box . several calls by UPC to no avail . simply used 2nd tv difffernt size , same make..ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cyril706

hi there Cyril706,
    Firstly , if ur remote was faulty , UPC should replace free . U dont say what was happening with ur remote ??? might be media box probs ???. I had probs with remote and box . several calls by UPC to no avail . simply used 2nd tv difffernt size , same make..ok now

Hi Toreadorx

Thank you very much. My problem is that several keys on the remote control are not working any more, but I can still use some of them, just to press it hard.:mad:

I've already bought a new universal remote control, and now I am having problem on pairing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The remote I have is a UPC remote but there is no UPC button on the remote. Anyone have any ideas how to set it up for the volume?

Lg tv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads, start a new thread if you want to ask that question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement