Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Werewolves and Vampires Den (Entry To The Nocturnal Forum)

• 07-07-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I have been thinking, would The Nocturnal Forum be better as a more exclusive forum.

Not too exclusive, just have a means of letting decent posters into the forum.

I know a few posters are on the same level as me about a more secret forum.

Now here's my proposal(I sound all business:D like ruined it :()

We could have a sub forum called the "The Werewolves and Vampires Den"

This is were posters who want to join the forum ask for an "Official Nocturnal Name".

They have to post there 4 times(were they get bitten of course) between the hours of 8pm to 8am on four different days through out the week(seven days).

They also have to choose and have O.N.N(Official nocturnal name) Linked in sig before they are accepted.

In this Sub forum they will not have access to the Lair straight away ,so I think they're should be a "Werewolves Den" as a taster of "The Lair".

On the whole nobody will be missing out .It just makes it more exclusive ,which is a plus and with less riff-raff.

The way we can get round regulars not having to go through this process would be to show one post in the access thread, with four days posted through out the week.

And If there is a problem with this special dispensations will be used at the Mods discretion to allow access.

So what do ya think?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This is because I joined up isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Galvasean wrote: »
    This is because I joined up isn't it?

No lol you've posted here the last four days I think but its better for the forum on a whole.You'd be counted as a regular in coordinance with my guidelines:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

We can't make it exclusive, it's a public forum dude

I'm not sure I would be in favour of making it more exclusive even if we could, the more the merrier I think. Once people stay within the ethos of the forum I think everyone should be allowed to play :)

orestes wrote: »
    We can't make it exclusive, it's a public forum dude

I'm not sure I would be in favour of making it more exclusive even if we could, the more the merrier I think. Once people stay within the ethos of the forum I think everyone should be allowed to play :)

It will still have the main features Orestes but instead it will have "ONN"
    In sub forum .It will have the likes of the lair in the werewolves den there but even if the days are shortened ,it just gives it something more to this forum.

It will also be a great way of welcoming newbies to the forum as they can easily get smothered out of convos in the Lair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

It will still have the main features Orestes but instead it will have "ONN"
    In sub forum .It will have the likes of the lair in the werewolves den there but even if the days are shortened ,it just gives it something more to this forum.

I did bounce this idea around in my head last night for a while.

I disagree with orestes, The more is definitely not the merrier in my opinion. The more the merrier is After Hours and that's just bleugh! It would be the ruin of the forum.

But in saying that, what we'd be asking for to implement the idea would be for the admins to make the nocturnal forum private which was the original idea. And while I like the idea, I don't think it's the way to go. The forum is good at the moment. We don't have too many trouble makers in here and the forum is alot of fun.

At the moment the mods aren't an active presense in the forum so I suppose that is why people think they can spam the forum but when the mods do turn up they make their presense felt and Doom will be back soon enough (We hope).

I don't think there should be any obstacles stopping people from posting here. It's working well at the moment (imo) and I don't think any major changes made for the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While I am open to the idea of a private forum my main problem with it is simply that people who perhaps would love to post here will miss it because it'd be under the radar. That said I do like the idea of a little children of the night club.

I think perhaps an "inner circle" might be an idea, but again there are problems in certain fora here which originated from that. I do not want to encourage Cliqueshness unless it is done in the most playful way.

I think there's only been 2 bans and 3 infractions here since the forum opened. It's not like we're reaching a critical mass.

I can only think of 1 poster who hasn't reined in any behaviour I've asked them too.

There's been nearly 10,000 posts already here so I think thats very good, as things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

To be honest this thread was just to get it out in the open

Yeah I agree with what all you're saying but they're are still some people grumbling for a private one(Although what I said sound like it I don't want one).

IMO It's hard enough to find people who stay up like me through out the whole night and I welcome any passer by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I would walk away if this became a private forum.

Everyone counts, or no-one counts.

It's a simple philosophy, but it serves me well.

Keep it public. Keep it open. Keep it embracing and welcoming.

This forum is great, and it is evolving. It will attract loons and asshats ... so what ?
    Who's to say a private forum won't have loons and asshats ?
    What if the private forum decides YOU are the loon and YOU are the asshat ?

Accept the warts, accept the warthogs. That's my tuppence worth.

(and yes ... I am a warthog ... it's my nocturnal animal of choice)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Forums that are private end up having no posters eventually, happens to them all.

Trout makes a very compelling anti private point there, TBH.

trout wrote: »
    I would walk away if this became a private forum.

Everyone counts, or no-one counts.

It's a simple philosophy, but it serves me well.

Keep it public. Keep it open. Keep it embracing and welcoming.

This forum is great, and it is evolving. It will attract loons and asshats ... so what ?
    Who's to say a private forum won't have loons and asshats ?
    What if the private forum decides YOU are the loon and YOU are the asshat ?

Accept the warts, accept the warthogs. That's my tuppence worth.

(and yes ... I am a warthog ... it's my nocturnal animal of choice)

Are you directing those YOU's at me Mr.Trout?

If so read the post above you and do so next time if that was the case.

This was something for discussion because if you look in the Nocturnal Clan there seemed to be a few people suggesting this.
    I was suggesting a means to see if this was the case and a way to get round it and happily there isn't.

And everyone knows im the biggest fuppin loon
    and asshat

If so read the post above you and do so next time if that was the case.

This was something for discussion because if you look in the Nocturnal Clan there seemed to be a few people suggesting this.
    I was suggesting a means to see if this was the case and a way to get round it and happily there isn't.

And everyone knows im the biggest fuppin loon
    and asshat

I think you're mis reading him dude. His point is, who judges if someone is good enough for a private forum and who isn't?

(The answer's me obviously, but lets ignore that. :) )

SDooM wrote: »
    I think you're mis reading him dude. His point is, who judges if someone is good enough for a private forum and who isn't?

(The answer's me obviously, but lets ignore that. :) )

I think he misread my first post then , because all I suggest was that they post 3 time on 3 different nights to join the main one -but I'd rather leave it be to be honest.I just wanted to bring unseen points of view to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

No! Not for a second.

I was directing those YOU's at all of us, you, me, everyone.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I understand yore position ... I just wanted to state mine.

Peace out, trout :)

trout wrote: »
    No! Not for a second.

I was directing those YOU's at all of us, you, me, everyone.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I understand yore position ... I just wanted to state mine.

Peace out, trout :)

Fair enough;)

You see I really like talking to randomers and anyone up from 8pm-anytime tbh everyone knows I like to.

I just didn't like the some posters thoughts on making this a private forum but this was made in the case that most of the people did want a private one ,I would still get to talk to randomers in the sub forum.

I talk to nearly everyone in this forum and it was when Nerin mentioned a private forum after that spammer yesterday that's when I thought of it.

It really get quite here sometimes. A lot of people come from 8-2 then it dies down for a bit to about 6 which I could name.Then it fizzles out.
    I would hate for some people to be blocked off when its so quiet.

I Just wanted to bring this out in the open to fix the problem if any and be able to let randomers come in.

I'm happier than any of you that you 's all feel the same way .

I just wanted to get this out of the way so there is no more talk about it :D

thanks for the replies

I think we got the verdict Doom you can close the thread if you want.

PS If something does happen were people want a private forum , I would still like the set up suggested.

PSS Sorry Trout for being touchy:o

I don't think anyone here so far is up for privatisation. I'll leave the thread here though so people who are online later can have their say.

I think that was an off the cuff comment by Nerin, he was dealing with a spammer at the time. I don't think the forum is going to change any time soon and tbh I would like it to grow organically as it has been doing for the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

twas off the cuff indeed.
    as for privatisation, i dont mind, its up to the users who post.
    i wouldnt like to see it die though. or undie. em. yes.

anyway, we're taking a shoot to kill policy, if ya dont like something, or think we should know, dont be afraid to report post, or even just drop us a pm. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'd like to see a separate or sub-forum that's private, might be good fun for a while.

Putting a lot of work on Nerin though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

All I know is that I don't wana leave :(:(:(

PLEASE DON'T THROW ME OUT!!!! :eek::(

And also that I don't like cliques.... in any way, shape or form.:)

I'd like to see a separate or sub-forum that's private, might be good fun for a while.

Putting a lot of work on Nerin though.
    and SDoom too :)
    i dont mind though,as i said, its all about the users. tonight i plan on doing some work for the nocturnal bible :)
    MizzLolly wrote: »
    All I know is that I don't wana leave

PLEASE DON'T THROW ME OUT!!!!

And also that I don't like cliques.... in any way, shape or form.
    even if youre in the clique? i mean. um what clique

Nerin wrote: »
    and SDoom too :)
    i dont mind though,as i said, its all about the users. tonight i plan on doing some work for the nocturnal bible :)

even if youre in the clique? i mean. um what clique

I repeat....

PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LEAVE :(

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I repeat....

PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LEAVE :(
    quit worrying. youre staying.
    but you may regret it *bela lugosi voice*

quit worrying. youre staying.
    but you may regret it *bela lugosi voice*

Ooooh.....

Sounds fun!:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You'd be doing yourselves more harm than good making the forum private, or even having a private sub-forum. Privatising as a knee-jerk response to a couple of spammers is a gross over-reaction imo. I dropped by here the other night for the first time, had a very brief chat and was gone again. A private forum would exclude people and prevent them from doing what I did the other night, and you need through traffic to keep a forum alive, whether it be private or public. I took over the Dublin West forum a week ago, and since I posted introducing myself there's been one other post. That's a forum dying on its feet because the posters who clamoured for it because Dublin 15 got a forum lost interest once it was granted. It's the nature of most forums that some people will eventually tire of them and stop posting there. If you have a private forum and that happens you end up with nothing more than a bit of space on a server. I know of at least one private forum that nearly suffered that fate, although it's picking up again a bit lately, but there could be others in similar situations. The other issue you'll have is the accusations of being a clique. We had that at BGRH, which is probably the most open, all-inclusive forum on Boards, so imagine the grief you'd be getting.

zaph makes a very good point there gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

SDooM wrote: »
    While I am open to the idea of a private forum my main problem with it is simply that people who perhaps would love to post here will miss it because it'd be under the radar. That said I do like the idea of a little children of the night club.

I think perhaps an "inner circle" might be an idea, but again there are problems in certain fora here which originated from that. I do not want to encourage Cliqueshness unless it is done in the most playful way.

I think there's only been 2 bans and 3 infractions here since the forum opened. It's not like we're reaching a critical mass.

I can only think of 1 poster who hasn't reined in any behaviour I've asked them too.

There's been nearly 10,000 posts already here so I think thats very good, as things go.

That is a good run, especially for a new forum that is getting settled.

An "Inner Circle" , sounds like a good idea to you. At the end of the day the whole Nocturnal element is what makes the forum it's own so anything that expands on that could be great.

Zaph wrote: »
    You'd be doing yourselves more harm than good making the forum private, or even having a private sub-forum.

The other issue you'll have is the accusations of being a clique. We had that at BGRH, which is probably the most open, all-inclusive forum on Boards, so imagine the grief you'd be getting.

I agree with you to be perfectly honest.
    zaph makes a very good point there gang.

Indeed.

And anyway - what's the nocturnal clan all about? Sure that's private!? (and don't I know it.... *cough* invite *cough*) So really, there's no need to make anything else private and exclude other people from just dropping in to say hi! I could be totally wrong but I imagine the nocturnal clan was made private for that reason, which is a better solution than making a whole forum private. I think here is fine as it is. I really love it! :D

• Advertisement

as Doom said, we are open enough, and i like to think the nocturnals are a great gang, im not having much trouble modding them, any problems have been easily sorted with no hard feelings, apart from one user i feel wont be coming back.
    i think if we keep how we're going the other boardsies we'll see what a great bunch ye are.

ahem.
    sickening loved up speech over.

Advertisement