Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isofix base (britax)

Options
  • 07-07-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I am after purchasing a britax travel system(vigour)and just realised that my car is not fitted with Isofix bars... I am just wonder if any body else is in a similair postion... is the only way to fit the car seat into the car is by using the safty belt and that you can not use a base.... or is there a base out there that can be fitted with out isofix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

As far as I know the isofix fittings are parts of the car. Your best bet would be to bring it back to where you bought it as there might be a safer one without fittings for your car than just strapping the seat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sud wrote: »
    is the only way to fit the car seat into the car is by using the safty belt and that you can not use a base....

If the car hasn't got ISOFIX then that's that - you'll have to use the safety belt.

But do take redpunto's advice and see if you can change the seat for one that is more suitable (and probably cheaper!)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

seat shouldnt of been sold to you without first checking compatabilty with car

where did you buy it

there is a brittax non isofix base

are you sure car hasnt got isofix, its pretty much standard for all cars except VW/audi the irish distributors would charge you for the steering wheel if they taught they could get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

etcetc wrote: »
    seat shouldnt of been sold to you without first checking compatabilty with car

where did you buy it

there is a brittax non isofix base

are you sure car hasnt got isofix, its pretty much standard for all cars except VW/audi the irish distributors would charge you for the steering wheel if they taught they could get away with it

its pretty standard on new cars - 5/6 years ago it still wasn't available on a lot of models

we've had a few Isofix seats - they've all been compatible with seatbelt fitting as well, but seatbelt fitting is always hit & miss depending on your car. Plus there's no point paying the (significant) extra cost for an isofix seat if you can't use the isofix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sud

Thanks for the replies... the problem with returning the seat is that I bought it to go with the britax vigour buggy and if i returned the seat i would also have to get a new travel system.... my car is 1999 peugeot 206 so it is pre isofix being standard...has anybody experience of just using a seat belt with Btitax carrytot (infant)...

etcetc where have you seen the non isofix bases? or are they for older childrens car seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

the thing with just using the seatbelt with the child seat is that part of the reason youre paying through the nose and the fact that the seat is even sold is the safety aspect of having your child belted up in a seat that has these fixings which are attached to your car. Without those fittings, that safety goes out the window. There are safer car seats out there for cars with no isofix fittings than just belting your current seat in now but like I said the shop should know more about that. Have a look at this site but the last test was 2004 so its not that current

http://www.iam.org.uk/motoringtrust/campaigns/childcarseats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sud

Thanks for that Redpunto... I will go back to the shop and discuss my options its just a pity there is not an non isofix base for the seat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sud wrote: »
    .... my car is 1999 peugeot 206 so it is pre isofix being standard...

It's around the time that ISOFIX was beginning to become standard on most cars. So it wouldn't be guaranteed on a 1999 car. ISOFIX is a standard rather than a regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Tony Kealy from the store so appropriately named tony kealys gives a car seat talk at each of his stores once a month. I've bought all my car seats from tony kealys and i would definitely recommend them to talk to. If you don't want to buy from them you could always phone and ask or pop into one of the shops. The staff are really well trained with car seats and they definitely won't let you leave without fitting the seat. I had trouble with my kiddie being too tall for her age and no seat was right. They got in 3 special seats, tried them all out in my car ( took 1 1/2 hours!) and told me what they felt was best and what would do the job if i couldn't afford it.

So what i'm saying is if you're having difficulty car seats are so important you should really talk to someone in the know. At the moment i have two britax seats both used with a belt. One is fine but its a pain in the ass if i have to take it out and re fit it. The other one is easy to refit but they're the next group to what you're thinking about. I think britax in general are a good make. Good luck with it and congratulations on baby!

Advertisement