Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a hunter... spec advice

• 07-07-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Started a Nelf hunter the other day for a bit of fun and I really like him, origionaly just wanted to mess around with the class, but now Im gonna give it a good go.

I've realised, I dont actually know that much about hunters, but Im pretty sure Im gonna stear clear of PvP, and focus on raids.

What spec do u think I should go for?

Thx in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Go full Beast Mastery. From what (little) i remember, its the best levelling spec. Good damage and survivability. At lvl70, its Marksmanship all the way afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Hello Mate,

For leveling go for PVE Leveling Do the BM tree first.

This spec enables you to grind without stopping so you get the best EXP per hour. You should mainly use Auto shot, to save mana so you can keep grinding, Use your own jugment.

When your 70 respec to PVE Endgame, This is the best PVE spec endgame, And even with crap gear you can still do good DPS. Just learn to controll your pet and you will be grand mate,

Best thing about hunters is you can play them any way you like, its all down to your personal playing style.

Once you learn the class and get better gear, you can then do whats best for you :D

hope you enjoy the class mate

take it easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Thx for the info, Im gonna BM spec then and probably put most of my points in Marksmanship, like the sound of that spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

aye, BM up to 60 is great, but after that follow my tallent tree. It gives stupid dps with half decent gear. Although im in a pvp setup i find it better the a pve solo or raid setup for damage and survivability. Probably best to take the 1 point from entrapment and stick it in survivilist though.

Scatter shot and deterance and great if you are trying to grind mobs a few lvl's ahead of you.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Moonglade&n=M%C3%A9ndez

also, wowiki has a nice section of hunter setups too.

Anti wrote: »
    aye, BM up to 60 is great, but after that follow my tallent tree. It gives stupid dps with half decent gear. Although im in a pvp setup i find it better the a pve solo or raid setup for damage and survivability. Probably best to take the 1 point from entrapment and stick it in survivilist though.

Scatter shot and deterance and great if you are trying to grind mobs a few lvl's ahead of you.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Moonglade&n=M%C3%A9ndez

also, wowiki has a nice section of hunter setups too.

Sorry mate, That spec is crap full stop, its not even great for PVP! never mind PVE.!

I play a Hunter in SWP! I have been playing a Hunter as my main for over 3 year, As well as mage/warlock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

41/20 bm spec is the cookie cutter leveling spec, and from all the guides i have read its also the best spec for kara aswell.

ill be staying 41/20 for a while anyways.

Blazher wrote: »
    Sorry mate, That spec is crap full stop, its not even great for PVP! never mind PVE.!

I play a Hunter in SWP! I have been playing a Hunter as my main for over 3 year, As well as mage/warlock

Each to their own i suppose, but this is the spec that has given me the best dps in pve and pvp.

Out of curiosity what spec are you using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sorry Anti but they are right, number crunching shows that BM outperforms pretty much any other spec imaginable, irregardless of gear, in dps stakes. Not to mention the group buffs it offers.

There used to be some hope as survival but at the moment, it just doesnt cut it. Marksman is ok for arenas but in a pure damage role, BM is king.

Strange, my dps has gone from 500 to 650-700 with this spec. And i was with the usual 41/20 beforehand. Ill give it another shot and see if i was doing something wrong.

Not being a cunt or anything, but i thought id show some results.

This is with my spec as listed above, using aspect of the viper and bow(Mana regen).... Instead of aspect of the hawk and bom(more AP 2400 ish).

And this is agsinst full s3/4 warriors who ended up doing 1200dps each. Im in s1x3 and s2 x 3 and s3 x 1. Standard ****ty rep reward rings, christ my pet isnt even fully done.

y1ywcbk6ifexelx57yi2.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not quite sure what we are supposed to be looking at here... according to the damage meter in that screenshot you are doing 730.8 dps. Nothing to write home about, considering the level of your gear and the fact that the majority of that instance you can spam multishot (in that spec).

People, and by people I mean those who have tested these things, vigorously, state unequivocably that BM is the spec...
    Take this thread:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t17999-hunter_best_possible_dps_cheeky_s_spreadsheet/

The reason you will find very little mention of what spec people are using, is because it is assumed that you are using 41/20 BM spec. There just isnt anything better. Fact, done. The only variation that can be accounted for is poor shot rotation, period. I dont want to be a cúnt either, but if you are doing more damage as anything other than Beast mastery then you are doing something wrong as beast mastery.

Ivan wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what we are supposed to be looking at here... according to the damage meter in that screenshot you are doing 730.8 dps. Nothing to write home about, considering the level of your gear and the fact that the majority of that instance you can spam multishot (in that spec).

People, and by people I mean those who have tested these things, vigorously, state unequivocably that BM is the spec...
    Take this thread:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t17999-hunter_best_possible_dps_cheeky_s_spreadsheet/

The reason you will find very little mention of what spec people are using, is because it is assumed that you are using 41/20 BM spec. There just isnt anything better. Fact, done. The only variation that can be accounted for is poor shot rotation, period. I dont want to be a cúnt either, but if you are doing more damage as anything other than Beast mastery then you are doing something wrong as beast mastery.

I didn't want to go in to the Class Mechanics on this thread as the OP only wanted a good lvling spec!.

Like every other endgame player i am doing Theorycrafting with my Hunter everyday to try and better my end game DPS.

My Hunters DPS :: 2530 ( Can push more )
    My Mage DPS :: 1900 ( I am missing a few items )

Once you learn the class and need endgame help on rotion etc give me a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Pve marksman or BM doesnt matter too much. I went Marksman up to 70

PvP (arena) BM no excuse unless of course you have a paladin who's constantly hitting the cleanse button (nothing new there) then maybe you can go marksman.

Blazher wrote: »
    I didn't want to go in to the Class Mechanics on this thread as the OP only wanted a good lvling spec!.

Like every other endgame player i am doing Theorycrafting with my Hunter everyday to try and better my end game DPS.

My Hunters DPS :: 2530 ( Can push more )
    My Mage DPS :: 1900 ( I am missing a few items )

Once you learn the class and need endgame help on rotion etc give me a shout

Huh? My post was aimed at Anti...
    and what the OP wanted has pretty much been answered, the conversation has developed onto something else... the same thing it always progresses onto when people start talking about hunters on these forums ;)

[Edited because I keep forgetting to quote peoples posts. Probably what prompted the comment I am now quoting ;)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Ivan wrote: »
    the same thing it always progresses onto when people start talking about hunters on these forums ;)

I should have just read a hunter guide then! :)
    Thanks for the advice anyway!

Advertisement