Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with improving torrent speeds and port selection?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Before I start I will say that I'm trying to download an open source version of linux using transmission as my torrent client. So all is legal. I'm getting very slow speeds even when left active for a while and with a healthy upload rate also.

What can I do to improve this? It's over 700MB and it's gonna take days at this rate. I'm using a MacBook Pro and eircom netopia wirless router. What port/settings should I use for best speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

First off, how many seeds are there, and what speed connection have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Over 82 seeds.
    Downloading from 17.
    D/L speed: 10KB/s to 15KB/s
    U/L speed: 20KB/s

Well I meant how fast is your line? But I'm guessing it's no higher than 3mb/s, in which case I'd say your upload is too high, I'd usually cap it at about 12, try that for a few minutes.

Apart from that, use the tools built in to check if what port you're using (Options->Speed Guide), and also click the button to test if the port if forwarded properly. If it says it's not, go to http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and scroll down to Netopia routers, check your model number and click the relevant link. Then follow the instructions there to forward your port.

I tried loads of troubleshooting guides that I found all over the web. I still can't get my assigned port to open. It's always stealth. Would this be slowing my download speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

try turning off the router's firewall. Also turn your upload speed to about 10 or 12. Try a very well seeded torrent to see if you can get better speeds from that. Sometimes torrents with even 50 seeds can be slow to start off. Portfroward.com is a good site. make sure you've a static ip address set up and follow the guides on that site to the letter if you don't.

• Advertisement

Well if you followed the guide on portforward.com and it's still not open then I would assume you have some firewall software installed on your pc as well, yes?

Wait sorry, I missed the fact that you're not using uTorrent. I would recommend downloading it instead, it's always served me well and I'm assuming it's more popular in general as I've never even heard of Transmission.

I'm on mac hence transmission. Tried setting up a static IP but once I do I can't connect to the internet at all. My router just won't connect to the internet. I tried with apple firewall off and router firewall off. Both with no luck. Upload limit set to 11. Downloading openoffice official torrent. Still really slow speeds. The guide on portforward for my router is not the same GUI that ships with eircom. Cannot find a reference to pinholes anywhere in my router config. I'm confused.

Which router have you got?

Netopia 2247NWG, Eircom.

I'm not sure where you're seeing a reference to pinholes, the following guide is pretty standard for every netopia router: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247NWG-VGx/OSXvnc.htm

I'm assuming Transmission tells you which port it's using? And be sure to follow the portforward guide precisely, including the static IP setup. Your internet connection should still work after following that guide, all it does is get you to take your current dynampic IP and ISP's DNS and set them as fixed i.e. the IP you have currently is used all the time.

• Advertisement

I followed the info on portforward First thing I need to do is setup my static IP. I follow the instructions here but as soon as I change my static IP my internet connection goes. It's very frustrating.

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I followed the info on portforward First thing I need to do is setup my static IP. I follow the instructions here but as soon as I change my static IP my internet connection goes. It's very frustrating.
    Are there other pc's/laptops etc. on the network?

Just me.

Hmmm...I was having a read of the Transmission forums there, found a thread by a guy who seems to have suffered a similar problem and tried everything. Eventually he just gave up and let it run, and came back a few hours later to find his download speeds had increased to acceptable proportions for no apparent reason. So I don't know, having never used Transmission I can't think of anything else to be honest. Maybe just give it a while without changing any settings and see what happens? Sorry I can't be of more help...

I'll have to do that. Thanks for your efforts though Mirror! I've been searching all the forums for transmission too. I can't find any more info anywhere. If I do solve it I'll post the soloution here in case anybody has a similiar problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

Advertisement