Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats there to do in Waterford???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Swimming in Coumshingaun is the real deal! None of yer salty stuff up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Roen wrote: »
    Swimming in Coumshingaun is the real deal! None of yer salty stuff up there.

im intrigued?? more info please.. is it up the mountains??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

its in the comeraghs

im intrigued?? more info please.. is it up the mountains??

It is indeed, one of the most spectacular, if not the most spectacular scenes in Ireland.

Linky to pics here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yummum

I just feel that I have gotten stuck in a rutt and really need to get out and meet new people!!'

i hear ya, im from wex and moved here last yr wit my little girl, met few friends in college but most them dont actually live in waterford and wit a little girl i dont get to go out much at nite...
    so really feelin in a rut, and so sick of daytime tv..believe or not lol..
    is there anything on during the day-when she in creche...
    seriously gettin fed up with my own company, but painfully shy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

Hey People,

Sorry not been on in AGES...seeing loads of things to do now...WOOHOO...can you believe I've actually been out doing stuff at last, got off my fat lazy ass.

I'm doing some volunteering work with children with disabilities in on Tuesday eveings, was great.

I've offered my services for Dog sitting for a friend of a friend (i.e. I don't really know her) but she has the same type of dog as me and she not really keen on kennels so I offered (coz I love little doggies):D

dlofnep, what time do you go onto with the Irish on Thursday night, coz the lady is calling around to have the to dogs meet, to see if they get on ok tomorrow evening, so not sure how long she will stay, so still hoping to get into ye at some stage.

Macker Eire, sorry to hear about your dog, I know I'd be lost with out sammy.....My mam put a stop on animals coming into the house because I use to get too attached and there was no comforting me if something happend, so when I moved out I got one myself...but you can't help it they are such loving and loyal animals!!

good luck with the swimming in the guillamenes.....I wouldn't be much good to you there really...brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I could hold the towel for you longshanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

cool!! thats good to hear!!

if your ever stuck on the drinking side of thing,:p we could try and give a go waterford boards beers again! just and idea.

oh and even if you dont like swimming in the sea, you should still take a trip out to the guillamenes , its lovely!!

OMG - that sounds like fun!!!

I know I only know you guys (I sound american)....I know I only know YE, a wet week but would love to meet YE ALL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

cool!:p , shall we suggest it to the mods so?! why should dublin have all the fun !

Coumshingaun looks savage lads!! is that up above mahon falls? if you climb the whole way up to the top and keep going? i climbed up to the top of the falls about 3 weeks ago but didn't go exploring much once i got up there as i was tired from a Jiu Jitsu grading that morning in kilkenny :) overkill wha? haha :rolleyes:

Lucy - dont worry, my dog is still alive, but my ex girlfriend owns her now :( custody haha im gonna be getting my own dog later this year when i buy my gaff whoo hooo gonna walk the hind legs off it :)
    I'm doing some volunteering work with children with disabilities in on Tuesday eveings, was great.

yesterday was Tuesday... were you down by McDonalds on the cork road yesterday with them? i saw a good looking girl looking after a some children with disabilities yesterday when down there on my lunch ;)

• Advertisement

sorry about that Macker :( that can be even harder....at least when you get your new gaff you can get a new friend :D

I've just looked on Roen's link for the photos....WOOOW....Fab photos....some of them are just out of this world

yesterday was Tuesday... were you down by McDonalds on the cork road yesterday with them? i saw a good looking girl looking after a some children with disabilities yesterday when down there on my lunch ;)

I'd love to lay claim to that, but I'm afraid it wasn't me.....grrrrrr jealous of that good looking girl now...lol ;)....No I was working with the kids in the evening, there was a evening camp on for them...

ahh ok, yea you said evening sorry my bad, i was there in the afternoon..

well just for the record for anyone that is wondering.. That also was NOT me that was swinging out of a barstool in geoffs at the bar last night with a beer in one hand and a glass of "sea dog" rum in the other!!

it was someone pretending to be me ;) (pretty good impression too)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ahh ok, yea you said evening sorry my bad, i was there in the afternoon..

well just for the record for anyone that is wondering.. That also was NOT me that was swinging out of a barstool in geoffs at the bar last night with a beer in one hand and a glass of "sea dog" rum in the other!!

it was someone pretending to be me ;) (pretty good impression too)

G'wan Macker, you never lost it;) How are you getting on these days? Still keeping up all the neighbours with the drumming.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    G'wan Macker, you never lost it;) How are you getting on these days? Still keeping up all the neighbours with the drumming.

haha who is this?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

good luck with the swimming in the guillamenes.....I wouldn't be much good to you there really...brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....I could hold the towel for you longshanks!!

went out there again today, pretty cold it was too. although thats not necessarily a bad thing. could've done with someone to hold the towel though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Flirting to PM folks. No number swapping permitted in the public fora :pac:

Coumshingaun looks savage lads!! is that up above mahon falls? if you climb the whole way up to the top and keep going?

The walk from the top of Mahon Falls to the top of the cliff in Coumshingaun is a fairly rough one, there's a lot of peat hags and gullies crossing it and it's not as enjoyable a walk as the one from the car park near the lake itself.

You'd be better off heading to the lake from the car park in Kilclooney wood on the main Carrick/Dungarvan road. I uploaded a section of the OS map for the area so you can see.

The walk to the lake is grand, but if you're considering going on further then you'd want to have a little experience in mountain walking and bring appropriate clothing and equipment.

There's also a few good resources on the web about the area.
    Climbing.ie
    DLS Scouts

And lastly bear in mind if you do go from Mahon Falls to Coumshingaun you'll be approaching a cliff that's taller that the Cliffs of Moher. And you don't want to do that in bad visibility :)
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The walk from the top of Mahon Falls to the top of the cliff in Coumshingaun is a fairly rough one, there's a lot of peat hags and gullies crossing it and it's not as enjoyable a walk as the one from the car park near the lake itself.

You'd be better off heading to the lake from the car park in Kilclooney wood on the main Carrick/Dungarvan road. I uploaded a section of the OS map for the area so you can see.

The walk to the lake is grand, but if you're considering going on further then you'd want to have a little experience in mountain walking and bring appropriate clothing and equipment.

There's also a few good resources on the web about the area.
    Climbing.ie
    DLS Scouts

And lastly bear in mind if you do go from Mahon Falls to Coumshingaun you'll be approaching a cliff that's taller that the Cliffs of Moher. And you don't want to do that in bad visibility :)
    Best of luck with it!

Hey Roen, it's about ten years since my scouting days and unfortunately that also means it's about that long since I've been to Coumshingaun. Found out recently that my girlfriend has never been there. So it'll have to be the easiest way possible for us to get there.

Coming from Waterford, what's the best way to get to Kilclooney wood? And, from the guide on climbing.ie
    An alternative and shorter approach involves parking at Kilclooney wood (GR. 342103), follow a track through the woods from the north west corner of the car-park until you meet a forest road, turn right and follow this to the forest boundary, follow the fence to the corner of the forest from where some sheep tracks may be followed to the lake. This latter approach saves about fifteen minutes.
    is it necessary to at least have a compass with you?

I'm pretty sure I've done this route a few times before, but it's so long ago now, I may as well have never been!

The handiest way is to just head for Mahon Falls and just before Powers shop (the one that never has anything in it) take the right for Carrick-On-Suir. You'll see the car park on the left after about 5-10 mins.

If you're just going to the lake it's a handy walk if you're in any way fit. As regards a map and compass it's always better to be looking at them than for them :)

The path once you leave Kilclooney wood is obvious and should provide you an easy retreat even in poor visibility though.

Bear in mind the Summer is not exactly treating us well so you're bound to get a nice wetting even if you don't go in for a dip!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=18384258045454219036,52.255790,-7.116300&view=map&saddr=Hennessy%27s+Rd+%4052.255790,+-7.116300&daddr=52.245881,-7.501259&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=12&doflg=ptk&sll=52.228851,-7.444611&sspn=0.159399,0.43808&ie=UTF8&ll=52.221911,-7.323761&spn=0.159423,0.43808&z=12

• Advertisement

The handiest way is to just head for Mahon Falls and just before Powers shop (the one that never has anything in it) take the right for Carrick-On-Suir. You'll see the car park on the left after about 5-10 mins.

If you're just going to the lake it's a handy walk if you're in any way fit. As regards a map and compass it's always better to be looking at them than for them :)

The path once you leave Kilclooney wood is obvious and should provide you an easy retreat even in poor visibility though.

Bear in mind the Summer is not exactly treating us well so you're bound to get a nice wetting even if you don't go in for a dip!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=18384258045454219036,52.255790,-7.116300&view=map&saddr=Hennessy%27s+Rd+%4052.255790,+-7.116300&daddr=52.245881,-7.501259&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=12&doflg=ptk&sll=52.228851,-7.444611&sspn=0.159399,0.43808&ie=UTF8&ll=52.221911,-7.323761&spn=0.159423,0.43808&z=12

Cool! How long a walk is it to the lake? I remember taking a dip on a scorching hot Summer's day and wondering how anything could be that cold on such a warm day!

So an OS map and a compass would be handy. Cheap enough anyway yeah? Would be handy to have if I ever get it into my head to do something a bit mroe adventureous!

It used to take me 20 mins when I was training there, could take me 35 now :(

It used to take me 20 mins when I was training there, could take me 35 now :(

So about an hour for me :P

Hey People,
    (I'm doing some volunteering work with children with disabilities in on Tuesday eveings, was great.)

how did ya get into volunteering work, i been lookin on net and cant find anything in waterford, but i know there lots around. goin to go to citizen advice tmw if get chance, but baby dad comin twm eve to bring her to dublin for wkd so need to get her sorted...
    anyways, how did u getinto volunteering

yummum wrote: »
    Hey People,
    (I'm doing some volunteering work with children with disabilities in on Tuesday eveings, was great.)

how did ya get into volunteering work, i been lookin on net and cant find anything in waterford, but i know there lots around. goin to go to citizen advice tmw if get chance, but baby dad comin twm eve to bring her to dublin for wkd so need to get her sorted...
    anyways, how did u getinto volunteering

http://www.wap.ie/htmlsite/Products.asp?step=2&id=2&pstring=2

This is a link to the volunteering section in waterford area partnership - thre is a bit in it so should help in some way :D - good luck

hey lucy ur a legend
    i sent emails to ispcc and lecheile..
    cheers babe, il let ya know how i get on...
    ;):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Im going to WIT in a coulpe of weeks. Does anyone know if theres an Aikido club? (its a type of japanese self defence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Im going to WIT in a coulpe of weeks. Does anyone know if theres an Aikido club? (its a type of japanese self defence)

http://www2.wit.ie/StudentLifeServices/SportRecreation/SportsClubs/IndoorMartialArtsSports/

There isn't one listed there (which isn't to say it doesnt exist). Pop over to the Clubs and Socs office (in the courtyard) during your first week and ask. If it doesnt exist you could always start it :)

Of course there may be one in the city somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for that. Maybe pop into some of the gyms/martial arts schools and ask there.

dont know where there is Aikido, but we train Jiu Jistu in the waterpark secondary school Gym every monday and thursday night under Renshi Hazel Farrell.. starting back up in sept.. great bunch of people doing it, the kids train from about 7pm till about 8 or so, but us adults train from about 7.30 till 9.30.. 6 euro a nite.. lots of travelling too to seminars and stuff.. good craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

There was aikido at one stage im not sure if it still runs, was done in wit auditorium i believe..

Advertisement