Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

yet another speeding / radar / points question

Options
  • 07-07-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey, Was out in Dublin today on a Major Wide Dual Carraigeway after Lunch, so there was plenty of traffic
    and the Gaurds were out with Their Radar Yoke, "We Only Target Accident Blackspots" is the official line and what i want to know is: do these guns record your speed and send you notification in the post, or do they see from afar and pull you in?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

yes they usually pull you over and give you a hard time, i was pulled on a supposed accident blackspot on the dual carriageway from galway city to oranmore, was doin 10 over the legal limit (100 km/h), its funny how they never really patrol the actual dangerous roads in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭carlostevez90

Isnt it Funny how we had over 300 Deaths on our roads Over the Last While
    and very few as a result of negligence in the major cities
    so you got points?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

do these guns record your speed and send you notification in the post, or do they see from afar and pull you in?

AFAIK, both. Relative of mine was done by one coming under Belfield bridge on the N11 in Dublin, but wasn't pulled in and got the notice in the post.

i was caught doing a wee bit over the limit on the N6 and was pulled in for a cautionary word a few hundred further along the road from the actual speed check

and if you get points, how does this effect insurance?

usually 6 points or over you can expect a hike in your premium. im on 4 already,the big disadvantage of havin a sports car ;)

• Advertisement

hahaha
    ah well, 12 s the max

and they usually last bout 3 years , my first 2 get cleared in 09...

yeah, just, kinda worrying

i think we can expect more speed checks from now on. galway city guards have really tightened up on this in the past year which is a good thing. however i think the country roads need better policing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is there a number you can ring that will tell you if you've acquired any points rather than having to wait the 6 months they have to notify you, in which time you could rack up the full 12 without knowing you ever got 1, which would defeat the whole point of penalty points.

• Advertisement

usually they are fairly prompt in notifying you of a speeding offence, i think they have to notify you within a month but im not 100%. in my 2 previous cases i got letters in 2-3 weeks,:-( .
    what speed were you doing by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

futura123 wrote: »
    usually they are fairly prompt in notifying you of a speeding offence, i think they have to notify you within a month but im not 100%. in my 2 previous cases i got letters in 2-3 weeks,:-( .
    what speed were you doing by the way?

Who me? I'm just curious ;)

I think they have 6 months to send the points from the date of offence as far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

heading changed from "accident blackspots" as this thread has nothing to do with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

As far as i knew Radar gun (Pro laser III) can not take picture, the only way is for the Gards to run after you and to pull you over.
    The other radar such as (i think it s called Travimo or something like that) can take the picture and all the details of the car and they can send you a notice home.
    + Friend of mine was a Guard and he himself told me that the hand gun for measuring the speed can not take a picture it can only display the speed of the car.

Hence the gun looks like this:
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://speedguns.com.au/images/frontpage/pro_laser3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://speedguns.com.au/&h=200&w=150&sz=6&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=WWNa7ou4VVjcbM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpro%2Blaser%2B3%2Bspeed%2Bgun%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Bobo78 wrote: »
    As far as i knew Radar gun (Pro laser III) can not take picture, the only way is for the Gards to run after you and to pull you over.
    The other radar such as (i think it s called Travimo or something like that) can take the picture and all the details of the car and they can send you a notice home.
    + Friend of mine was a Guard and he himself told me that the hand gun for measuring the speed can not take a picture it can only display the speed of the car.

Hence the gun looks like this:
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://speedguns.com.au/images/frontpage/pro_laser3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://speedguns.com.au/&h=200&w=150&sz=6&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=WWNa7ou4VVjcbM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpro%2Blaser%2B3%2Bspeed%2Bgun%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bojan/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

NOT A FLAME:

First of all, ITS LIDAR NOT RADAR!! RADAR has been decommissioned for years

Second - The ProLaserIII has never been used in Ireland

The only Guns the Garda use are the LTI Marksman & Ultralyte (Know your enemy!")

Ultralyte

Ultralyte1.jpg

Garda Using Ultralyte: (Note: Speed Checks on Safe Dual Carriageway) :rolleyes:

speedmcyclistat4.jpg

AND YES they CAN take pictures when coupled with the appropriate equipment ,The MicroDigiCam which the Garda DO have. Seen in GATSO van & stationary.

microdigicamcompactbackiv6.jpg

LTI 20-20 / LTI Marksman

marksman1.jpg

Garda Using LTI 20-20: (Note: Yet again Speed Checks on Safe Dual Carriageway) :rolleyes:

GardaSpeedCheck.jpg

Again this gun is capable of taking pictures coupled with the appropriate equipment, The LTI Lasercam which the Garda DO have. Also seen in GATSO van's and stationary.

index.2.jpg

The GATSO van in a nutsheel is a van that has the MicroDigiCam / Lasercam pointing out the back window.

The handgun itself can't take pics as your garda friend said, and the guard would have to pull you. Dont confuse the MicroDigicam/Lasercam for the Tripod mounted handgun which doesn't take pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Ok i understand now, i see that the gun can take the pictures with the appropriate equipment when accompanied with it. :o

But i had a similar case in March this year when i was driving on the dual carriageway and there was a guard car parked on the lane that is joining to the opposite direction of the dual carriageway and he was aiming at the cars with the hand held gun through the window. So base on this case itself he would have to pull you over to be able to issue you with a penalty notice?
    When i saw him he had only gun in his hands and he didn't have any other equipment connected to the gun.

But the thing is that he was parked on the uphill of the lane that was joining to the opposite traffic so i don't really know whether he was aiming at my car and the cars that were going in the same direction as me or on the ongoing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Ok i understand now, i see that the gun can take the pictures with the appropriate equipment when accompanied with it. :o

But i had a similar case in March this year when i was driving on the dual carriageway and there was a guard car parked on the lane that is joining to the opposite direction of the dual carriageway and he was aiming at the cars with the hand held gun through the window. So base on this case itself he would have to pull you over to be able to issue you with a penalty notice?
    When i saw him he had only gun in his hands and he didn't have any other equipment connected to the gun.

But the thing is that he was parked on the uphill of the lane that was joining to the opposite traffic so i don't really know whether he was aiming at my car and the cars that were going in the same direction as me or on the ongoing traffic.

Yes if he had his hand out the window then your ok the systems connected to the guns are big and clumsy plus there tripod mounted.

I reckon your ok.

ALso the Ultralyte have a 'Weather Mode' that allows them to shoot through the windscreen (takes a little longer). So they dont have to nessessarily stick their arms out the windows.

The marksman can do this as well but has no'weather mode as such

Advertisement