Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should Ireland send to Eurovision 2009?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why do tax payers accept this crap ?
    Because, as someone else said a few pages back, most people don't really care - hence sending Dustin last time :rolleyes:

Anyway, with the former Eastern bloc countries voting for each other every time why SHOULD we bother taking it anyway seriously? Personally I think we shouldn't bother sending anyone and better yet, don't bother screening it either!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeeM

Pleeeeease send Lee Bradshaw to Eurovision. He'll do us proud!!! Well, actually I'm a little biased as I'm involved in "So What"... But pleeeeease vote.
    We're delighted to be in the final six... Heard a lot of really great songs that slipped through the radar. We're working our arses off and hoping to do well on the night. If we get a top six finish we'll be happy LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

anladmór wrote: »
    i only see a few of the songs, one contestant is latvian, does that not defeat the purpose of the competition? her song is decent, but like compete for latvia.

The nationality of the artist has never been a relevant factor in accepting an entry.

(Irish woman Fionnula Sherry won representing Norway, Americans Katrina & The Waves won for Britain , & Canadian Celine Dion won representing Switzerland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

KeeM wrote: »
    Pleeeeease send Lee Bradshaw to Eurovision. He'll do us proud!!! Well, actually I'm a little biased as I'm involved in "So What"... But pleeeeease vote.
    We're delighted to be in the final six... Heard a lot of really great songs that slipped through the radar. We're working our arses off and hoping to do well on the night. If we get a top six finish we'll be happy LOL.

Surprised people still take it seriously - but best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jayme101

Typical Ireland. The panal to pick Irelands entry consists of Linda Martin, a washed up 'star' and Louis Walsh. Not to mention that their dear friends Ronan Keating (whom Louis managed in westlife), Shay Healy (who wrote songs for Linda) and Phil Coulter (who is great friends of both judges) have all submitted songs to the competition this year! ?

Ronan Keating has not entered a song for Ireland. However he has written a song for Eurovision but, it was chosen to represent Denmark. Its called Believe Again and is sung by the Danish singer Niels Brinck its now number 1 in Denmark:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_whQzV2iQQ

Spookily the singer sounds exactly like Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RebelA1

SONG B "OUT OF CONTROL"
    EUROSONG 2009 (Late Late Show, Friday 20th Feb)

VOTE SONG B 'Out of Control' composed by Derry O'Donovan, performed by Laura-Jayne Hunter

There's No Contest and no more deserving composer and singer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How does one vote?

RebelA1 wrote: »
    SONG B "OUT OF CONTROL"
    EUROSONG 2009 (Late Late Show, Friday 20th Feb)

VOTE SONG B 'Out of Control' composed by Derry O'Donovan, performed by Laura-Jayne Hunter

There's No Contest and no more deserving composer and singer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm song C "So What", composed by Kevin Breathnach and Billy Larkin, performed by Lee Bradshaw, all the way.... (Just getting that plug in LOL).

I'm so excited bout hearing the other songs though. Gonna be a fantastic night!!! Weeee...

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How does one vote?

Numbers for voting will be given out on the show on the night... So you'll be able to phone and probably txt to vote... Tho I'm not defo on the txting yet!
    Are you excited? I'm sooooo excited!!! Have I mentioned that already? LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

Please please please can be try to pick an up-tempo happy song this time, aren't we all just fed up listening to all these slow whingey songs and listening to one person playing a guitar by themselves......PEOPLE EUROPE DOES NOT VOTE FOR THIS TYPE OF GARBAGE. I would love us to send a really upbeat song and maybe a band for a change to...... does any know if we have anything like this in any of the final entrants????? DEAR GOD I HOPE SO.

With all the doom and gloom in this Country at the moment, please don't let our song be the same.

• Advertisement

:)Hey everyone, I've just heard all the final songs to be performed tomorrow night on the late late show. Thought I would have been really disappointed (and mostly I was) but the last song I think it's called Etc, the singer is Sinead and Black Daisy really really rocks, it's the type of song I would buy on single CD, it's rocky and catchy. This has to be the song that we send to Eurovision. I'd give it 10 out of 10, so different to the usual tripe we send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gergen

Yes I think Etcetra is definitely a strong contender but so is Out of Control and So What. It is going to be between these three. Standard way up this year and I think we could very well win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We should send a bombed disguised as Johnny Logan and just put a crap competition out of its misery

"So what" all the way!!!
    The standard is awesome this year... The songs were excellent! Can't wait for tomorrow... It's gonna be sooo exciting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So whos representing us then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Mary D wrote: »
    :)Hey everyone, I've just heard all the final songs to be performed tomorrow night on the late late show. Thought I would have been really disappointed (and mostly I was) but the last song I think it's called Etc, the singer is Sinead and Black Daisy really really rocks, it's the type of song I would buy on single CD, it's rocky and catchy. This has to be the song that we send to Eurovision. I'd give it 10 out of 10, so different to the usual tripe we send.

Its absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

black daisy and sinead mulvey pretty much swept the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

black daisy and sinead mulvey pretty much swept the board.

There's no accounting for taste unfortunately..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The song has a "Eurovisioney" feel about it, complete with mimed guitar performances. So I reckon it will reach the final and come about 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its absolutely awful.
    Agreed, but I can see how it might appeal to eastern europeans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRwad26jd3A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RebelA1

We sent the wrong song to Europe !!!

The biggest Eurovision Fan website www.esctoday.com had a live feed to the Irish Eurosong 2009 ....on the night they took a poll among Europeans watching and guess who won (see below).

http://www.esctoday.com/vote/poll.php?id=673

So while "et cetra" won the Irish vote, "Out of Control" won the European vote.

Shows how "Out of Touch" the Judging panel were who voted "Out of Control" into last position !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Jesus this thread is pathetic. Posters with 2 posts to their names saying things like "Can we please send an upbeat song...oh I just heard this one." Or the outright begging for votes.

As for the song that won, I didn't mind it. A bit Blondie-ish, but I don't know if it will do the business in the competition itself. I missed all the other songs, so don't know if any of them were better.

But bless RTE, finger on the pulse as usual with a panel of Marty, Jerry Springer and Linda Martin.

Next year we should put together a supergroup composed of Dana, Linda, Johnny Logan, Charlie McGettigan and Johnny Logan (he won it twice he may as well appear in the band twice) Then when they bomb out of the competiton they can finally stop their whining every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Posters with 2 posts to their names

You had 2 posts to your name at one point. Whether a person has 2 or 2000 they have the right to voice their opinion however they wish, within the rules - that's what open forums are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

You had 2 posts to your name at one point. Whether a person has 2 or 2000 they have the right to voice their opinion however they wish, within the rules - that's what open forums are for.
    Obviously everyone started out as a new user at one point. But one user made this as their first ever post.
    Mary D wrote: »
    Please please please can be try to pick an up-tempo happy song this time, aren't we all just fed up listening to all these slow whingey songs and listening to one person playing a guitar by themselves......PEOPLE EUROPE DOES NOT VOTE FOR THIS TYPE OF GARBAGE. I would love us to send a really upbeat song and maybe a band for a change to...... does any know if we have anything like this in any of the final entrants????? DEAR GOD I HOPE SO.

With all the doom and gloom in this Country at the moment, please don't let our song be the same.

Followed immediately after by this post
    Hey everyone, I've just heard all the final songs to be performed tomorrow night on the late late show. Thought I would have been really disappointed (and mostly I was) but the last song I think it's called Etc, the singer is Sinead and Black Daisy really really rocks, it's the type of song I would buy on single CD, it's rocky and catchy. This has to be the song that we send to Eurovision. I'd give it 10 out of 10, so different to the usual tripe we send.
    And hasn't come back.

That is not a normal new user starting out an account on Boards. That is someone involved with that act trying to drum up votes. And they were not the only one on this thread doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I didn't watch on Friday,but watched it last night and they were the best out of the bunch,Its wide scale of countries they are to appeal to and its has to be something catchy and memorable.
    And sinead and the girls were spot on best of luck to them,
    They may not win with all the political voting going on like we know it does,But they will definitely be in for a chance not like the other rubbish they were sending.They at last send someone who looks a bit professional
    with a catchy song.

Just to clarify something, I was not trying to drum up votes for anyone, I really like the Eurovision and have been following it for years. I only just joined boards and checked to see if there was a forum for it. I heard the songs that day on Derek Mooney and liked the Etc song. On the nite of the late late I also liked the out of control song. I just wanted an up beat song as opposed to a ballad. Just because I expressed a preference, it doesn't mean I was trying to drum up votes, I wasn't trying to promote any individual act or song, I just like fast songs. You're obviously having an off day, hope you're not this pleasant all the time.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

It's a terrible song, who wrote it? My local creche could have had a hand in it.

Not sure who wrote it (I'm not very good with remembering the composers names). I know it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but then I think it would be next to impossible to get one song that the whole country could agree on. It's not the worse and I think it coud do well. I did also like the Out of Control song, I've been listening to that a bit on You Tube and think that would also have been a good choice, but again that's just my own personal taste. I hated the Latvian song for two reasons, (1) it's a slow song and (2) it's a Latvian song. Apparently the singers and song writers only flew in that week to perform on the late late, they don't even live here. I think if a song is to represent our country, there should at the very least be some sort of connection to the country. I know Ronan Keating wrote the Danish song but it's performed by Danish singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Would be great for the economy if we did win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

shqipshume wrote: »
    Would be great for the economy if we did win.

but in order to win we will have to pay off the host country this year....

Advertisement