Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident involving L driver not accompained by qualified driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah, all of us make mistakes.

I was on the M50 last week and someone I think got caught out by the temporary free flow loop onto the N7 and didnt want to take it. They were kind of half on the exit, half on the lefthand lane of the M50, parked trying to get back onto the motorway. It was definitely very dangerous and traffic taking the free flow loop and traffic in the left hand lane had to slow down to avoid an accident. The car had an L plate up too so I assumed it was some L driver. Further up the road near the toll bridge they passed me and it looked to be an old man with white hair so I'm assuming it was a driving instructor!

I'm guessing I will be flamed again by saying that was not right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Yeah...
    Thats the one alright....
    The new rules of the road has it dealt with in terms of degrees also rather than exits to clear it up further.
    It is possible that the 2nd exit will require you to use the right lane if it is over the 180 degrees. But if its less, its the left lane unless explicitly stated at an indiv. roundabout.

agreed, cept I would've tried explaining it with a clock face where 180 degrees is 12 o'clock

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Thats it exactly, fir left lane should be used for first and second exit o a roundabout. as in straight ahead or left, the right hand lane is to be used for any exit after number 2.

EDIT: hahaha I'm soo slow, must type faster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Yeah, all of us make mistakes.

I was on the M50 last week and someone I think got caught out by the temporary free flow loop onto the N7 and didnt want to take it. They were kind of half on the exit, half on the lefthand lane of the M50, parked trying to get back onto the motorway. It was definitely very dangerous and traffic taking the free flow loop and traffic in the left hand lane had to slow down to avoid an accident. The car had an L plate up too so I assumed it was some L driver. Further up the road near the toll bridge they passed me and it looked to be an old man with white hair so I'm assuming it was a driving instructor!

I'm guessing I will be flamed again by saying that was not right :)

well, if it was an L driver they shouldn't be on any motorway. accompanied or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

You're probably right, but don't driving instructors usually have L plates on their cars all the time?

• Advertisement

You're probably right, but don't driving instructors usually have L plates on their cars all the time?

I was told before that it is a offence to display L plates when a fully qualified driver is driving. For the same reason that not displaying them when driving on a provisional liscence, is a offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

On roundabouts the rules state the left lane is for the first and second exits and the right lane is for any exit after that. But the rules also state that you should enter the roundabout in the lane you will be exiting. So if you need to exit on the right hand lane of the second exit then you need to enter on the right hand lane or you are guilty of crossing lanes.

Hah hah, more confusion!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Excellent
    So its the roundabouts are retarded and not the drivers.
    Hahaha.
    Im never taking a roundabout again.
    Oh wait.
    I live in galway
    I cant go home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I was told before that it is a offence to display L plates when a fully qualified driver is driving. For the same reason that not displaying them when driving on a provisional liscence, is a offence.
    Twaddle.

Note:I don't base that assertion based on any knowledge of anything.

Even so, what about driving school cars with the bloody great 'keep away' L signs on the roof. Do they have to be hidden when the instructor is driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thats it exactly, fir left lane should be used for first and second exit o a roundabout. as in straight ahead or left, the right hand lane is to be used for any exit after number 2.

EDIT: hahaha I'm soo slow, must type faster

In most cases yes, but on roundabouts like the attached, the left lane should be used for exit 3 (before 12 O'Clock/180 degrees). Much safer, did a quick google and found it stated here just to be sure: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c65340/Ireland:Negotiating.Roundabouts.Turning.Circle..html perhaps it's in a more "legal" documentation somewhere else. I don't think the ROTR goes that in debt as to deal with such a roundabout.

going from x to x, stay left:
    59188.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I was driving through Tallaght today and saw someone driving a car with the front end completely smashed and crumpled. There was an L plate stuck to the remains of the bonnet and the driver was driving alone. If it was him that crashed I am shocked he was allowed to drive afterwards.

Twaddle.

Note:I don't base that assertion based on any knowledge of anything.

Even so, what about driving school cars with the bloody great 'keep away' L signs on the roof. Do they have to be hidden when the instructor is driving?

Well what I was told was that you are basically notifying gardai and everyone else that you are a provisional liscenced driver when infact you are not. I am assuming that driving school cars would be excluded, as they generally have the driving school name plastered all over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rs50

Well what I was told was that you are basically notifying gardai and everyone else that you are a provisional liscenced driver when infact you are not. I am assuming that driving school cars would be excluded, as they generally have the driving school name plastered all over them.

SPOT ON:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK laws. Its not illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

<snip>

I also hate the Leopardstown roundabout. If you are coming out of the South County Business park onto it and its any way busy, bring a picnic and a sleeping bag as you will be there for the night. I think the problem is that the Leopardstown road goes onto the roundabout as well and its too close to the South county business park exit. And with the way the traffic flows, and the size of the roundabout, most of the traffic is flowing off onto other roads and if you are trying to get out of the South County business park, you are basically stuck.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that round-about either... Way too many exits/entrances onto it and with the luas works going on there at the moment its a right pain...

The only time I have to think whether I should be in the left lane or right lane approaching this roundabout is in the following scenario coming from the N11 up Leopardstown road to go through to Burton hall road as shown in this diagram. (X to X following the direction of the yellow arrows).

The South County Business Park is the first exit, but its a bit depressed from the roundabout, so its kind of like its not an exit, if you know what I mean.

The next exit (2nd) is the continuation of the Leopardstown road, which brings you up to the M50 entrance.

The 3rd exit is the Burton hall road, which will bring you down to the luas.

This 3rd exit is just past 180 degrees, but you could argue that its right on 180 degrees as well.

Which is the correct lane to be in according to the rules of the road?

Correctly or incorrectly, I have approached Burton Hall road from the roundabout in both the left hand and right hand lanes...

See attachment for diagram

If an exit is at 180' you take the left hand lane. Anything after that is the right hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If an exit is at 180' you take the left hand lane. Anything after that is the right hand lane.

Road markings?

tuxy wrote: »
    Road markings?

What about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

What about them?
    At a roundabout that size there should be road markings indicating which lane to take. The 'normal' rules only apply where road markings aren't present.

At a roundabout that size there should be road markings indicating which lane to take. The 'normal' rules only apply where road markings aren't present.

Yes that is correct but I could not see any road markings in that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I think that in most cases the blame goes 50/50 when regards to a roundabout. Which is stupid as far as I am concered. The problem with the ROTR is that is only gives examples of a perfect roundabout. ( http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html ) . So this can lead to confusion, especially when the second exit is greater than 180 degrees, but the way I read it is that for a 3 exit one the left lane is used for first and second exits unless stated otherwise. The one thing for you here is that the person should not have been driving, and also changed lanes without due care and attention, which resulted in the accident, however it may also be stated that you did not pay enough attention to surrounding traffic, but I think that this is only minor and her lane change may have caused the accident ( cannot say for certain as I did not witness). You should have used a camera phone to photograph the aftermath. would have saved on the whatifs. What you need to do is ensure that the Garda report was made, contact your insurance company, and make a detailed statement. There is no need for legal, this is what that insurance board was setup to deal with. If your english is not so good, which should not make a damm, have a friend help you out with the report.

Advertisement