Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish (and Italian) Students

• 07-07-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Wow, the place was buzzing with southern European teenagers today!

There were a whole load of them sitting playing music in John Roberts square this afternoon - really gave a great atmosphere to the place. Who cares if they block the footpaths and take over the top deck of buses (though there are no longer any double-deckers in Waterford), they add quite a dash of colour to the place.

Better than the betracksuited, shaven-headed skangers we usually see "gracing" the streets of our city in that truculent "wotde****areyoulookinatboy" sort of way.

Could we maybe do a permanent swap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

the coppers over there might teach our friendly skangers a thing or too as well, goodness knows they could do with it, !!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

Well i know this may be off the point a little bit but i was in town last week in a certain shop and there was students in there trying on jackets, and to my shock one of them put on the jacket looked at her self in the mirror and walked around the shop in the jacket and as i was leaving she left with the jacket on her, i didnt know where to look, i was in such shock.:eek:
    there is no tags in this shop either for security only security guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Was outside the Book Centre on Sat, and a few of them had guitars out, and a few of 'our own' had their guitars out. Was quite good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

tiny-tyno wrote: »
    Well i know this may be off the point a little bit but i was in town last week in a certain shop and there was students in there trying on jackets, and to my shock one of them put on the jacket looked at her self in the mirror and walked around the shop in the jacket and as i was leaving she left with the jacket on her, i didnt know where to look, i was in such shock.:eek:
    there is no tags in this shop either for security only security guards.

Should have said it to the staff!

Funnily enough, I had to do that in a shop I used to work in - its not that easy to go up to management and report someone. You can never be 100% sure!!

Sully wrote: »
    Should have said it to the staff!

Funnily enough, I had to do that in a shop I used to work in - its not that easy to go up to management and report someone. You can never be 100% sure!!

Thats the thing there was a load of them there and sure you wouldnt know if they would see you going to to the management, usually i would if it was only one person but there was a bunch of them so i jst left it go,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i was out with a friend saturday night who has a shop in town and he was telling me the same thing. loads of them come in with backpacks so it's very hard to keep an eye on them all. looks like they brought a few "skangers" with them.

When i lived at home i worked in spar across the way from the international college and we only left 10 in at a time as they were robbing the place blind. 3 members of staff had to be out on the floors to keep an eye on them the whole time,

most of them are really nice but you do get the odd one or two, it is the same every where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Wolftone378

This is an annual event in Waterford. I think most of them are law abiding and peaceful. What I object to is they march up a street like Manor Street and ignore or refuse to move for people with sticks, frames, prams etc. Just rude. I keep walking with my stick and refuse to move left or right. Eventually they get the message. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is an annual event in Waterford. I think most of them are law abiding and peaceful. What I object to is they march up a street like Manor Street and ignore or refuse to move for people with sticks, frames, prams etc. Just rude. I keep walking with my stick and refuse to move left or right. Eventually they get the message. :mad:

Iv noticed the same thing. They walk straight at you and never move ouf of the way. Very frustrating trying to get around the many students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The annual shouting fest that is the Spanish students has arrived. I will stay well away from the city center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What I object to is they march up a street like Manor Street and ignore or refuse to move for people with sticks, frames, prams etc.

I don't know about someone with a stick, that may be awkward. I'm only a young fella (well, young enough!) so I take the approach I take with the little scumbags of the town who do the same - I walk straight throughthem. Just right through the middle. And they either move, or I throw the shoulder into the one in the way! None of them ever say a word. A pram sounds like a better weapon than the shoulder too :P

With regard to them stealing and that. Surely the kind of kids who come here have wealthy enough parents. But like the well-off kids over here, there are a few of them who fancy themselves a bit. They posture alright, but they aren't rough. I don't think I've ever heard of a fight with any of the kids that come over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wealth has nothing to do with the tendancy to steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Wealth has nothing to do with the tendancy to steal.

Well, the social background you come from definitely does have an impact. I'm not saying that all poor people steal, or all rich people are angels, nothing of the sort. In my experience of the type of people I mentioned (from a "well-off" background but fancy themselves as scumbags), it is only an act. And if they get into a situation where some "scumbags" would start a fight, they are less likely to. They are also terrified if they get caught doing something they shouldn't be doing (e.g. stealing). It's all an act. And I think it's the same with these foreign kids - all an act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You would be surprised at how many apparently well-to-do people get caught shoplifting.

As for the students, I witnessed a mass invasion of Dunnes today. It was like Christmas again, but with a foreign accent.

Kahless wrote: »
    As for the students, I witnessed a mass invasion of Dunnes today. It was like Christmas again, but with a foreign accent.

Best quote ever.

The group en mass invaded the No. 3 bus yesterday on the quays for a ride to Lisduggan. People where chatting as usual and the kids were so loud that the driver had to ask them to keep it down. No need to be rude. They are not the only folks in the world or on the bus. If they want a private coach, hire one. if not, show some manners! :P

The group en mass invaded the No. 3 bus yesterday on the quays for a ride to Lisduggan. People where chatting as usual and the kids were so loud that the driver had to ask them to keep it down. No need to be rude. They are not the only folks in the world or on the bus. If they want a private coach, hire one. if not, show some manners! :P

What now, the driver said that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

They'd want to be careful. They might cross the wrong bus-driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

gscully wrote: »
    They'd want to be careful. They might cross the wrong bus-driver!

Ooooooooh! Too soon?

I don't think so.

Anyway, I like the students. They always laugh at me...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

KingLoser wrote: »
    They always laugh at me...

that may not be a good thing you know? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Cabaal wrote: »
    that may not be a good thing you know? :D

That only depends if the person being laughed at actually cares though! :D

Hi Sully,
    The bus driver opened the door @ the driver's seat, turned his head to the back of the bus and told them to "keep it down". The bus was stopped at a bus stop near Ballybricken at that point. They did comply. Haven't heard a driver do that many times in Waterford and they were LOUD. Those of us over 30 by a few years had a nice chat going about the sales in city centre and could barely hear each other! :D

Hi Sully,
    The bus driver opened the door @ the driver's seat, turned his head to the back of the bus and told them to "keep it down". The bus was stopped at a bus stop near Ballybricken at that point. They did comply. Haven't heard a driver do that many times in Waterford and they were LOUD. Those of us over 30 by a few years had a nice chat going about the sales in city centre and could barely hear each other! :D

Its very very rare a driver will tell someone to keep it down. Fair play to him!

Advertisement