Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile a mirror

Options
  • 07-07-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if its possible to grout a 1200 x 600mm mirror to a wall.
    The wall has Devi underfloor heating wires to prevent mist on mirror.
    So the grout would need to be able to move a little, I assume.

I understand Gripfill reacts with back of mirror, any advice?
    Anyone use mirror glue or evostik contact?

Was also told Mastic would hold mirror in place!

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

RKQ wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if its possible to grout a 1200 x 600mm mirror to a wall.
    The wall has Devi underfloor heating wires to prevent mist on mirror.
    So the grout would need to be able to move a little, I assume.

I understand Gripfill reacts with back of mirror, any advice?
    Anyone use mirror glue or evostik contact?

Was also told Mastic would hold mirror in place!

Advice appreciated.

You wouldnt be able to grout it to a wall, you would however be able to grout it into a wall.

Mastic would stick it in my experience, but you need to make sure that it doesnt react with the back of the mirror, there are ones available for specifically for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I would agree that its better to grout it into the wall.

I left a spaces for mirrors when tiling my bathroom. I then got mirrors cut to suit the spaces. I told the glazier what I had in mind and he recommended that I either use special glue that doesn't react with the coating of the mirror, or I put a sheet of contact on the back of the mirror and use standard silicone. I went for the contact and standard silicon option. Once I had the mirror stuck I grouted it in along with all the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I left a space in the wall to glue / bond the mirror. It will be flush with the walltiles.
    Should I use tile adhesive or go with mirror glue / evostik?

What type of "contact" did you use on the back of your mirror?

I need to thing about expansion too, with underfloor/wall heating, behind mirror.

Thanks for your info.:)

What type of "contact" did you use on the back of your mirror?

Sorry, I think "contact" may have been a bad description. It is a PVC self adhesive film. I got it in a mirror and glass shop but it seems no different to the stuff you get in paint shops or B&Q for covering tables, shelves etc.
    I need to thing about expansion too, with underfloor/wall heating, behind mirror.

I don't have full wall heating but I did stick heating pads to the back of the mirror. They cover about 60% of the full area of the mirror. I don't have any problem with expansion but it's not quite the same as your scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks Tribesman. I assume the pva sealant was to stop the mastic reacting with the back of the mirror. I'll give it a go... thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Tribesman. I assume the pva sealant was to stop the mastic reacting with the back of the mirror.

I think you already realise this, but just to be clear, I'm not talking about PVA sealant. (Durabond, Unibond etc.)

I'm referring to something like this...
    http://www.artistic-license-inc.com/b2b/pics/Self_Adhesive_PVC_Decorative_Sheet.jpg

As you say, it serves to protect the back of the mirror from whatever you use to glue it to the wall.

Advertisement