Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else with Parrots

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CatBratTCA

pets can really make you happy....ss about the budgie but you know one on it's own and let fly around or even on you while watching tv makes them happy too.

Rory, i wish you the best of luck, i've only had green cheeked conure, cockateil, budgie, lovebird, kakariki so not good on the way a ringneck behaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

CatBratTCA wrote: »
    pets can really make you happy....ss about the budgie but you know one on it's own and let fly around or even on you while watching tv makes them happy too.

my budgies were happy with sitting on my finger for 3 seconds and then fly or bite me. never managed to get them to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Victoriaa that's because with 2 or more budgies they usually tend to bond with each other more than their owner. Always exceptions to the rule but I find this in general is the case.

Budgies are great though they are so much more agile than say cockatiels, who can be pretty lazy..well mine can be, he prefers to sit and chat where as any budgies I've had love to fly about and keep busy.

A lone budgie can bond very closely with the owner and if a lot of time is spent they can do all sorts of tricks, deffo more clever than people give them credit for

I always keep only on breed of a diff bird...they can be friends with each other but will still bond with me which i love.

budgies are great talkers to if you keep at them with the same words all the time and i love to let them fly and come to me for treats or a cuddle and maybe play with some toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SB27

i have a black headed caique!! only have him a week now but he's a little ball of fun!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

i have an african grey called herbie ....and a sun conure called pepe...boy are they cute...conure has beautiful colours....grey talks and sings all day ...can even sing in irish ...beidh aonach amarach,,,,unbelievable birds...wouldnt be without them

"i have an african grey called herbie ....and a sun conure called pepe...boy are they cute...conure has beautiful colours....grey talks and sings all day ...can even sing in irish ...beidh aonach amarach,,,,unbelievable birds...wouldnt be without them"

Ah now you can't say all that and then not post piccies of them, sounds like the grey can speak more Irish than most school kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

wish i could post pictures of them....herbie loves john spillanes cd of irish songs we sung in school years ago...not only can he sing but he can dance aswell...but no ..not irish dancing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

nice to see other parrot owners, have my baby jess 2 weeks now she is a green cheek conure :D a big snuggler :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Currently have two lovebirds. The female lovebird is in the nesting box in the cage almost constantly at the moment because she laid 4 eggs a couple of weeks ago. The male keeps her company a lot of the time but when he's out of the cage he loves to hang out with our rabbit. Ill put food down for the rabbit first thing in the morning and the male lovebird is out of his cage like a shot to help him eat it. Theyre best mates. Looking forward to hand rearing the chicks when they arrive later this month.

S6005753.JPG

S6005766.JPG

S6005778.JPG

Just be careful not to over breed her they need a good long rest between times it takes a lot out of a hen to produce eggs.
    Great the bun gets on with them but do be careful with bird poop around rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Just be careful not to over breed her they need a good long rest between times it takes a lot out of a hen to produce eggs.
    Great the bun gets on with them but do be careful with bird poop around rabbits.

Cheers for the advice Guineapigrescue. This is the first time the hen has laid a clutch of eggs. Seeing as she laid 4 eggs and chances are they wont all hatch, I will be keeping the chicks and then removing the nestbox in order to discourage her having any more. I can cope with the few that are on the way but if she was to keep breeding then id have to give the chicks away which id rather not do, so im going to keep a very close eye and hopefully will stop her breeding any more.
    The birds arn't out of their cage constantly but when they are they tend to poop on ledges and stuff, never seems to be on the floor. I clean up after them pretty much straight away anyway so the rabbit doesnt have anything to worry about there.

Advertisement