Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aerlingus baggage issue

Options
  • 07-07-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

recently i flew from dublin 2 prague, flight was full, every seat taken
    with the recent charging to check in a bag, 18euro or thereabout the baggage compartments on the plane were packed to the brim, when i boarded the plane the hostess said
    have you got luggage to be stored over head? i showed her my regulation size bag and she said well i dont know if it will fit? what was i supposed to do? throw it out on the runway! then she asked if i could squash it under my seat? is that not where the infaltable lifevest is stored.
    she found a place eventaully overheard for my bag

then first 10 minutes in to the flight i had 2 use the the toilet, when i opened the toilet door the area was full of the airhostess's bags, when the airhostess saw me she rushed over apologising like crazy.
    when i came out of the toilet all the bags from the loo were in front of one of the emergency door.
    i am infimiliar with airline regulations but it seems to me airline policy on charging for bags is puttin passengers at risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

airlines do ask that you only carry one item of cabin baggage but a lot of people seem to ignore that, the airline can't really be blamed for that.

your life vest is under your own seat and the crew ask you to put your bag under the seat in front of you so everyone still has access to emergency equipment.

the fact that cabin crew put their bags in the lav was just to provide as much room as possible for the pax, crew have nowhere else to store them.

the emergency exit is only useful on the ground so the fact that there were bags in front of it in flight is not really an issue, in an emergency the crew prepare the cabin before declaring it secure.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 frosty66

thanks for response

its not really what specifically happened on this flight, i been on a good few flights recently and the insde of the plane always seems so manic, jam packed with bags and poor airhostesses unable to deal with the huge volume of bags in the aircraft when the hold underneath is probably empty!
    with the price to check in a bag always on the rise i can only imagine it will get worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

i'm afraid you're probably right, i don't agree with the idea of charging for baggage but i can't see them ever going back to the old way. it just adds a little more stress to an already stressful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am always amazed the amount of luggage that people bring into the cabin.
    Sometimes the bags I see going into the cabin are much larger than the one I have put in the hold.

I suppose because I am travelling 90% of the time for business I always put my bag in the hold, again the world is split in two. I also always have my laptop bag to carry

People who put everything in the hold .
    People who try to carry everything in the cabin.

With the advent of the bag charge the latter have obviously become more common

No idea what the solution is though !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does Aer Lingus actually care about the cabin-baggage weight these days? A bit annoyed after buying a Targus bag for storing laptop and photographic equipment, then finding out that it weighs more than the specified limit. One of my old lap-top cases weighs more than the limit when it's empty!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Does Aer Lingus actually care about the cabin-baggage weight these days?

Ohhhh yes !

In Dublin the weight limit is universally ignored , however Paris/Rome and other places were service agents are used they enforce this . And Aer Lingus have the lowest limit in hand baggage that I know 6kg

It can be a real pain in the ' you know what '

Advertisement