Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slow Puncture ?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Yo people,

So I have a slow puncture, popped on the spare tonight, to find a big nail in the tyre I took off. Anyways, how much should I be looking at to have tyre puncture repaired?

Living in Limerick btw, so any recommendations welcome as to where to take the tyre to be repaired.

Cheers

VZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I think it cost me 20 euro to get mine done in Dublin. I thought it was a bit expensive. I was hoping to pay around 15 euro for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Yo yourself...
    €10 or €12 should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yeah thats what my father keeps telling me between 15-20.

So I am hoping that its not any dearer, even though I paid 30 for an oil top last week, robbing mofos where I went last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Last puncture I got fixed in Dublin was 9 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

€10-€15. Try Advance on the Ennis Road - they won't plug it - they'll remove the tyre and repair it from the inside.

There's another Advance in Cathedral Place in case that's handier for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Is the nail near the side wall?

BrynW wrote: »
    Is the nail near the side wall?
    No the nail is in the top of the tyre, does that make a difference?

If the nail was in the side wall then you'd most likely need a new tyre - side wall damage cannot usually be repaired.

Well thats good news then so cause its in the top. Less expense = the best.

Cheers for the advice on Advance tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    No the nail is in the top of the tyre, does that make a difference?
    crosstownk wrote: »
    If the nail was in the side wall then you'd most likely need a new tyre - side wall damage cannot usually be repaired.

Exactly what he said ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

€10-€15. Try Advance on the Ennis Road - they won't plug it - they'll remove the tyre and repair it from the inside.

The last time that happened to me, the repair cost 5 euro.

The joys of living in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

John J wrote: »
    The last time that happened to me, the repair cost 5 euro.

The joys of living in Longford.

€5 in Donegal too, if some guy rolled out my wheel and asked for €20 for fixing a puncture, i would quickly suggest to him that he could insert the tyre into his anus.

No reason in the world that a same job should cost 4 times the amount in one place compared to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

8 for me on saturday, that was with the wheel on the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I always carry a kit & a small 12v. compressor, most times I don't take the the wheel off the vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Fiver in Mullingar too.. Dual citizenship!!
    I would never get anything done with my car in Dublin..
    Crash repairs cost me 922 in Mullingar, quotation in Dublin for same was 2,300..

patrickc wrote: »
    8 for me on saturday, that was with the wheel on the car

Tyres should be removed from the rim to repair a puncture. Anything else is a temporary repair.........

http://www.coopertire.com/html/pdf/ServiceBulletin108.pdf

http://www.tirerack.com/tires-techpage-1/77.shtml

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/contiacademy/drivers_ed/tire_repair_en.pdf
    TIRE MAINTENANCE

When a tire is losing air it must be removed from the wheel by an expert for complete internal inspection to be sure it is not damaged. Tires driven even short distances while severely underinflated may be damaged beyond repair.

Punctures up to 1/4" in diameter, when confined to the tread, may be repaired by trained personnel. These tires must be removed from the wheel, inspected and repaired using industry-approved methods which call for an inside repair unit and a plug. Some punctures may make the tire non-repairable. A plug by itself is an unacceptable puncture repair.

I got the tyre repaired close where I work, in mid west tyres, cost a tenner so happy days.

Advertisement