Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMO question

Options
  • 07-07-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm on campus at U of L for the next three weeks, and I have a quick question.

I want to play an MMO, but it looks like the ports I need are blocked. Is that correct? Does anyone know a work around, or if I'm hallucinating and the ports are find and dandy and open?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

unless you can find a way to make it work threw port 8080 your out of luck and if you do find a way hit me a pm with how to do it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

There are ways of doing it, but they aint exactly legit. I know that my roommate last year had world of warcraft going in thomand, and he made it so i could play counterstrike and use torrents but we only did after midnight cause it had the tendancy to slow down the whole flats internet.

patricide pms from ur roomie with instructions would be great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Il send him an e mail asking, when he lets me know the craic il pm ye guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

You could tunnel everything through a remote server (a PC at home outside UL) using Putty and an SSH server on the remote machine.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    You could tunnel everything through a remote server (a PC at home outside UL) using Putty and an SSH server on the remote machine.

that was recently explained to me but its a very complicated and expensive way to do things from what i can tell especially seen as the 'pc at home' needs to be on all the time and if it turns off or crashes needs to be reset for people living 200 miles from home thats not really possible

i might try it with my old laptop come september but i doubt ill be bothered going to that much effort

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

www.http-tunnel.com

That does the same thing as tunneling through a remote PC with less hassle and no chance of the PC crashing - only problem, for online gaming you'll definitely need to pay for access to their high-speed servers. Not too bad, though, less than €4 a month, God bless the current Euro/Dollar conversion rate!

Advertisement