Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graded stock Sale Scam at the Burlington hotel 6th July

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Anyone who's enough of a moron to be sucked in by this deserves to have their money taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

gobo99 wrote: »
    Theres one of these sales scheduled for tomorrow in the Tower hotel in Waterford City (Sunday 2nd).
    I was just searching for info on the guys running it and the validity of these sales when i stumbled across this thread. Having read it I don't think I'll bother going down to it.
    I got a leaflet in the door Tuesday promoting the sale. Its the same guys running it, from Carlow. Prices quoted on the leaflet are ridiculously low.
    ps3 €100
    tvs from €20
    dvd players from €20

a bit too good to be true me thinks.

Scan and post up the leaflet please? I was at these sales twice in my life before once as a child sometime in the early nineties late eighties in a well known and respected local hotel and again sometime between 1997 to 2002 in Killarney. I remember the Killarney Auction was advertised with flyers on the street and I happened to get one and went along for the craic.

It was in a back street warehouse though and was very industrial with lots of cardboards boxes and the like. At the beginning of the thing they got people in a tizzy by throwing out free stuff such as cheap sunglasses etc. and I nabbed myself a free calculator (incidently I use it every day nearly since).

It was dodgy, but there was no entrance fee and there was a high stage where the auctioneer was and loud music playing to create a mania amongst punters. I remember people were fighting over the free stuff and the funny part was Travellers were actually bidding on the junk for sale probably thinking of selling it off at a profit later on:rolleyes:.... the original scammers getting scammed... karma at work, both Auctions I was at were nearly entirely non-traveller and was a mixture of baldy headed English accented individuals with Yellow Reg lorry plates... I wouldn't be surprised if they were English Gypos though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

krudler wrote: »
    Anyone who's enough of a moron to be sucked in by this deserves to have their money taken
    when you have maybe 3 or 4 young children and are trying to raise them on your own feeding them and clothing them as well as paying all the bills and your rent/mortgage and the free school bills for all the extras and you try to get them at least some of the luxuries their friends have like a games console or an extra tv for a bedroom or similar for christmas all on approximately €260 weekly these people are not thick or stupid in any way just simply desperate and these are the people that these sales are targeting!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    when you have maybe 3 or 4 young children and are trying to raise them on your own feeding them and clothing them as well as paying all the bills and your rent/mortgage and the free school bills for all the extras and you try to get them at least some of the luxuries their friends have like a games console or an extra tv for a bedroom or similar for christmas all on approximately €260 weekly these people are not thick or stupid in any way just simply desperate and these are the people that these sales are targeting!

like i said, morons, its like those idiots who buy a "laptop" off some knacker on the side of the road only to find its a a few bottles of water in a bag deserve to be ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That doesnt mean common sense should go out the window. If anything they should be more careful since they have such a limited budget.

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote: »
    That doesnt mean common sense should go out the window. If anything they should be more careful since they have such a limited budget.

Well said, if people are on limited funds they should be more careful than spnding money on tat instead of buying it from a proper shop, nobody sells ps3s for 150 quid, nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I would be wary of all hotel "sales". I saw different scams like the original poster mentioned elsewhere. Sometimes they sell clothes / leather jackets etc. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

One of these was scheduled for our area earlier on this year. I was concerned about the more naive locals being taken advantage of so I contacted both our local Garda and the owners of the hall scheduled for the event and presented them with my concerns and the reasons for it.

The Gardai were very good - came out to inspect the goods pre-sale and the proprietors of the hall put a disclaimer on the door. This did the trick, the dealers never even unloaded their vans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Remember one of these on a smaller scale about 10 years ago. My mate was tricked out of £20 at the time for a ****ty electric razor. But other people were out at least £80 or more. The usual script with the assitaant here's my friend shivery dick and the banter with the crowd ...my pal amir from pakistan ,etc.

A valuable lesson none the less. :cool:

Advertisement