Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What version of linux for old PC?

• 07-07-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I want to try my first attempt at installing and running linux. I have and old PC lying around that I want to use. It's an Intel P4 3GHz, 1.5 GB RAM. I think I'd like to run Fedora. Will the newest version (version 9) work with my processor? Or will I need to use an older version.

Also, what's the best procedure for installation. Remove windows and install, or just run the fedora install disk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Actually thats a pretty well spec'd pc, Pentium4 isn't that old. Sometimes the parts in an older pc are better upported as they've been around longer and drivers are available for them.

Just run the cd and pick the option to take the whole drive this will re-format. Although honestly if its your first venture in2 linux, i'd suggest you use Ubuntu or Mint as the support on the forums is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Will do. Thanks.

One more question. What version will I download. Version 9 is the latest but there are 3 options i386, x86_64, or ppc. I'm thinking x86_64 for some reason. Can anybody clear it up for me?

Mint is actually 95% Ubuntu, its more polished with nicer themes, with all the codecs, plugins etc already installed, Would save you alot of bother. Its actually lovely, I use it on my laptop and prefer it over Ubuntu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

QuadLeo wrote: »
    One more question. What version will I download. Version 9 is the latest but there are 3 options i386, x86_64, or ppc. I'm thinking x86_64 for some reason. Can anybody clear it up for me?

No, i386 for a Pentium 4 AFAIK

The x86_64 is for a 64 bit CPU, and ppc is for a PowerPC which used to be in macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

. I'm thinking x86_64 for some reason.
    no - that would be for 64-bit.
    you want i386.

Ok. i386 it is. Can't decide on which option now. Mint looks nice but it's a very small 690MB D/L compared with 3.5GB Fedora. What's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ok. i386 it is. Can't decide on which option now. Mint looks nice but it's a very small 690MB D/L compared with 3.5GB Fedora. What's the difference?

I haven't installed either before but I'm guessing that fedora comes with 7/8 desktop environments, and everything needed for any install you could imagine (file/web server or desktop or whatever) along with several applications for many different functions (maybe 6 media players, several web browsers, im clients, word processors etc etc).

If you want to have loads of choice to find apps you like, go with fedora. Mint will probably significantly cut down and a bit easier to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The 3.5 GB image is great for people on dial-up (once they get their hands on the DVD, that is!) as it negates the need to have an Internet connection to install many packages. However, it's just as easy to download them as you want to install them. It's not all that likely that a typical user would end up using the majority of the extra packages on the DVD.

Sure I'll try mint for starters and take it from there. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Xubuntu is a slimmer version of Ubuntu - supposed to be best for older machines.

Xubuntu is a slimmer version of Ubuntu - supposed to be best for older machines.

A pentium 4 isn't really that old and with 1.5Gb ram is faster than many laptops sold today. This Celeron laptop i'm using at the moment which is running Mint on, is 1.8Ghz and has 512MB ram. It'll run fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    A pentium 4 isn't really that old and with 1.5Gb ram is faster than many laptops sold today. This Celeron laptop i'm using at the moment which is running Mint on, is 1.8Ghz and has 512MB ram. It'll run fine.

Do you use Compiz desktop effects? That would eat a lot of ram.

Do you use Compiz desktop effects? That would eat a lot of ram.

No, not on the laptop, the basic ones are enabled tho, in simple compizconfig settings I've it set to medium. I have the rotating cube etc, but i not use it much. I also use the black theme which seems lighter on ram for some reason. I've no problem opening 6-8 boards.ie tabs together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I want to try my first attempt at installing and running linux. I have and old PC lying around that I want to use. It's an Intel P4 3GHz, 1.5 GB RAM. I think I'd like to run Fedora. Will the newest version (version 9) work with my processor? Or will I need to use an older version.

LOL, that's not an old PC...
    I have the latest version of openSUSE (11.0) with full KDE3.5 desktop on an eight year old Athlon 750MHz with 512MB RAM. It's not the quickest, but usable.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement