Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom netopia Routers

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I am using eircoms most recent netopia router,Just writing this to check if i move to smart or bt will i be able to use this router on their service or am i locked to eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah ya can use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

does it just work or do i have to do anything with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dodgerkk

delllat wrote: »
    does it just work or do i have to do anything with it?

You'll need to log into it and reset the username and password from the current internet service provider (Eircom) to the new one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It may not be that easy there have been threads on the Smart forums about this so have a look there. At least one of the Eircom models requires a patch to work with Smart.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2441&highlight=eircom+router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

dub45 wrote: »
    It may not be that easy there have been threads on the Smart forums about this so have a look there. At least one of the Eircom models requires a patch to work with Smart.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2441&highlight=eircom+router

im sure its probably the newer version that i have that probably requires the patch,anyway il have a read on the smart forums,im just glad to know its possible,as soon as my current 6 month contract expires il be ditching eircom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rflynn2005

Hi All,

I have a quick question around this router.

I bought a linksys wireless router to replace this one that we got from eircom as it's crap. However I then noticed that the linksys one is missing the port that is required to plug in the cable that comes from the telephone line. I think this is called an rj11 port?

Can anyone recommend another unit other than netopia or if there is an adapter that we can get for the linksys that will allow it to take the line in from the wall which is a broadband line from Eircom.

Help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

rflynn2005 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a quick question around this router.

I bought a linksys wireless router to replace this one that we got from eircom as it's crap. However I then noticed that the linksys one is missing the port that is required to plug in the cable that comes from the telephone line. I think this is called an rj11 port?

Can anyone recommend another unit other than netopia or if there is an adapter that we can get for the linksys that will allow it to take the line in from the wall which is a broadband line from Eircom.

Help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

Why exactly is the Netopia crap? There are thousands of people who find them perfectly ok. Is it the wireless you are having a problem with?

The linksys model you bought is obviously a router without a built in modem. You should be able to use the linksys with the netopia by putting one or other of them into bridge mode. this turns off the routing function in the one you bridge otherwise you have a duplication and no internet connection.

You should do some research before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dub45 wrote: »
    Why exactly is the Netopia crap? There are thousands of people who find them perfectly ok. Is it the wireless you are having a problem with?

The linksys model you bought is obviously a router without a built in modem. You should be able to use the linksys with the netopia by putting one or other of them into bridge mode. this turns off the routing function in the one you bridge otherwise you have a duplication and no internet connection.

You should do some research before purchasing.

It is crap because it has terrible noise margins eg with the silver newer one I get a noise margin of 7(!) and when I replace it with the old 3347 this figure jumps up to a respectable 25. Others have found this too and I think it's why this router has problems with disconnects (red light).

Well then it looks like you are going to have to replace the router you bought with a combined modem/router. You usually cant go too far wrong with either linksys or netgear models. You will find lots of reviews at broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Advertisement