Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Wednesday at 8.25a.m.

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Well stressed out :o:o:o
    Have had so many lessons that will be eating beans on toast for the next 2 months...
    its with the dreaded RSA....

Any last minute hints out there? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

If you can drive you'll pass. If you can't you won't. Take it from someone who had to do it twice! :p

The test will let you know, so don't take it personally, there's no secret handshake ;)

It sucks big time to have to reapply but remember that just means you'll be even better next time round!

Not that you'll have to reapply after all those lessons. Sounds like you have the right attitude and you're doing everything right if you want to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well stressed out :o:o:o
    Have had so many lessons that will be eating beans on toast for the next 2 months...
    its with the dreaded RSA....

Any last minute hints out there? :confused:

No need to consider the RSA dreaded, it's really just a misconception, you have equal chances with both:)(chance probably isn't the right word...).
    All i'll say is just go for it, put all the nerves behind you and just keep in mind what you've learned. I found that the nerves left me once i sat in the car.
    Keep your observation in mind on your manoeuvres and while driving, ie before indicating, and before making your turn check your mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Yes, observation cannot be stressed enough and is probably the one point where most learners lose most points. This doesn't mean offset your mirrors so the examiner sees you moving your head to look which is an old wives tail and is probably the worse advice you can be given. Keep checking mirrors often especially turning left and even parking.

Also you will be asked to park before the corner you are going to reverse around and the examiner will then tell you to pull past the corner, do all the normal procedure gear indicate mirror blind spot and pull past the corner and make it obvious that you are looking at the corner to see what the curve is like and if there is any possible hazards you might face when reversing, and remember if anything approaches be it another car, cyclist or pedestrian you must stop and give way.

Be also aware that your hill start can also be done pulling away from traffic lights on an incline.

Be aware of what is going on around you and try to anticipate possible hazards ahead, that will go down very well.

Best of luck on the day.

MD

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

MIRROR SIGNAL MANOUVER!!
    Every time the examiner opens their mouth look in the mirror straight away. Even if their talking about the weather..
    Try not to go too slow also! you'll get marked for lack of progress.
    Listen to their directions closely and ask them to repeat if your not 100% sure about them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Look the usage of mirrors is one that should fit in with your need as a driver to observe changes in the road around you not a random thought in the examiner's head.
    The only thing is it is quite hard for an examiner to spot an eye flicking to a mirror momentarily and flicking away. Be sure to try and move your neck as well when checking the mirrors so the examiner can observe this. It's stupid to exagerrate a body movement like this, but makes sense when you hear it like that I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Look the usage of mirrors is one that should fit in with your need as a driver to observe changes in the road around you not a random thought in the examiner's head.
    The only thing is it is quite hard for an examiner to spot an eye flicking to a mirror momentarily and flicking away. Be sure to try and move your neck as well when checking the mirrors so the examiner can observe this. It's stupid to exagerrate a body movement like this, but makes sense when you hear it like that I think.

I would agree with the exagerte your movements part, it's very difficult for the examiner to see you just moving your eyes. However, i would just say dont over do it, doing so could do more harm than good.

Advertisement