Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for Uni in the UK.

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

I'm going to college in the UK this September. Now, I was talking to a friend who's girlfriend is also going to the UK. She has gotten her grant and was told it would also cover her tuition fees. I was just looking on studentfinance.ie and saw this:
    Course Fees
    My Chosen Full-time Course is in a College in Britain or other EU Member State

There is no State funding for the tuition fees of higher education courses taking place in these jurisdictions.

Just looking on clarification on this? I had been told the grant would cover my fees, and had not taken paying them into account when planning my finances! So eh... starting to freak out a bit!

thanks for any help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Is it an undergrad course or a postgrad course? because I believe they cover undergrads but not postgrads..unless Youre really Lucky..i went thru the process and got a place in the UK but was told i couldnt get fees paid,whereas my friend was told if she did an OT postgrad it would be covered..bah! sorry,off tangent..what level course are you doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Hiya,

Its an undergraduate course. It's 3 years DipHE Nursing. It's also a minimum of 42 weeks long which I hope they take into consideration!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

The Queen wrote: »
    Hiya,

Its an undergraduate course. It's 3 years DipHE Nursing. It's also a minimum of 42 weeks long which I hope they take into consideration!

hi there

i no where your going wrong, watever body issues your grant, these will not pay your fees.

im positive wat im gonna say applies to colleges in the north, and pretty sure in the uk aswell.

basically this is that, your fees will be covered because you are doing a health science course ( i know for degrees they are anyways).

basically wat ya need to do now is ring the finance office of the uni you are plannin to attend and they should tell you were to go from there.

its some other body that will pay your fees its not the grants people

hope this helps

i was just wondering did ya get this sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yep, im wondering too. im doing a degree in business in Swansea Metropolitan Uni next term. how much of a grant could i get?

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    yep, im wondering too. im doing a degree in business in Swansea Metropolitan Uni next term. how much of a grant could i get?

If you're doing an undergraduate degree, you can get the same level of grant as if you were here (or anywhere else in the EU). For a postgraduate degree, it's unfortunately only covered on this island.

Myth wrote: »
    If you're doing an undergraduate degree, you can get the same level of grant as if you were here (or anywhere else in the EU). For a postgraduate degree, it's unfortunately only covered on this island.

correct me if im wrong, but i take it what your saying here is that the fees will be covered for her degree. if this is what your saying, its incorrect cause they wont be, either pay them yourself or a student loan is your only option. hope this helps

regob wrote: »
    correct me if im wrong, but i take it what your saying here is that the fees will be covered for her degree. if this is what your saying, its incorrect cause they wont be, either pay them yourself or a student loan is your only option. hope this helps

Nope, I didn't mention fees - the person asked how much they'd get, not about the fees. So we're both right :)

Myth wrote: »
    Nope, I didn't mention fees - the person asked how much they'd get, not about the fees. So we're both right :)

sorry just confused myself there

Advertisement