Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 sps

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, pretty new to this whole disscussion thing online. I would really appreciate some advice. I've been shooting with a 22magnum for the past 6 or more years and am really interested in a .223 remington 700 sps due to my budget. Accuracy information etc would be such a great help, as i hear this particular model is questionable? thanks a million:confused::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Welcome Kay,

I'm not going to say that they are ultimate crap, but you can be lucky and very unlucky with the SPS.

Would you consider a CZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Well Jonty, i kinda put my head in the halter with my usual gunsmith, because I've already given him a deposit!!!! sorry now i didn't find this terific discussion board before my possible mistake. What are the chances of out of the box accuracy on one of these? cheers anyway jonty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Jonty wrote: »
    Welcome Kay,

I'm not going to say that they are ultimate crap, but you can be lucky and very unlucky with the SPS.

Would you consider a CZ?

hi kay, im not going to beat around the bush but they are pure s..hite, i had one for 3 weeks and the grouping was crap if you can change it as jonty said a CZ would be much better.

Well lads after this info it looks like I'm going to have try change it around.
    Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem even though i've applied for license already right?

The funny thing is, I know dealer pretty well and he shed a good enough view on the rifle in question. It would be mostly Fox shooting and a little target.

In relation to accuracy, whats the worst and best groupings? Tanx again lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just to interject that I've heard poor stocks and bedding let them down, and bedding the original stock properly can greatly improve it if it's shyte out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Just to interject that I've heard poor stocks and bedding let them down, and bedding the original stock properly can greatly improve it if it's shyte out of the box.

Thats right about the stock, but to get it right would cost money, The SPS has potential, after all its based on the 700 action. To get it bedded would cost money, plus they've got a dog of a trigger.

A CZ would be accurate out of the box, with a nice set trigger

To trick out an SPS, It wouldn't be far off a Remington 700

Well lads at least there is some hope for me then. ha Just wished I had got more up to scratch information on the 50/50 chances of the sps accuracy
    Just as a matter of interest, how much would ya be talkin to revamp the stock and whatever other tweeks may be necessary. Thanks again:)

Advertisement