Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal system on Index page for Web Forums?

Options
  • 07-07-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Some mates and I are developing a forum at www.logon2life.com and we'd like to have a portal style system like the one boards.ie has for its front page which shows the contents of posts in categories. We are NOT coding experts and are trying to learn as we go on this stuff. Right now our board looks very boring so we'd like to spice it up a bit:confused:. What software/scripts/coding can be used to do this? We're using phpBB right now but down the road might move to VBB. Apologies for the newbie question and I hope I am being clear in what I'm asking:o

Any help REALLY appreciated thx :)

~livEwirE~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I've done this with phpBB before, and I think you'll have to get acquainted with php and mysql to do it. Inspect the raw data in the forum database tables to get a feel for how the forum names and individual posts are stored (use can use phpMyAdmin in your hosting control panel,) . Then it's all about using php to make a db connection (you will need authentication details to connect), formulate your sql query to pull the data out the way you want it and display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

There are a few portal systems for popular forums like phpBB and SMF. For phpBB a quick google brought me to http://www.phpbb3portal.com/ which seems to add alot of functionality to your portal. It's more than likely that you can disable alot of stuff and trim it back a little if it's a bit too much. You might find something on http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ as well.

Alternatively if you were using SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/) you can use Tiny Portal which is really nice as a portal system to the SMF software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

excellent feedback guys, thx a million, I'll look into this lot:D

Well after taking your advice guys we managed to get a portal system up and running for www.logon2life.com - we've a lot of redesigning to do but would be interested in hearing your opinions on the site, BTW its an events website where users chat about events all over the world, share pics and video clips and can even advertise their own events for FREE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

sites not loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

livEwirE wrote: »

The document contains no data. Message I'm getting

The site is back online, was down for config changes...check it out and lemme know your opinions please - www.logon2life.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Now getting this;
    General Error
    Unable to remove files within ./cache/. Please check directory permissions.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: administrator@logon2life.com

May be a good idea to get it working before asking for opinions;)

Tried it at 11:04 GMT - 22/07/08 - working fine with Firefox 3 + IE 7:confused:

Can you check it now please guys?

Hey guys, got the portal implemented on www.logon2life.com at last and have been using it for a while now, what do you think? Is the layout ok, what about design and colours?

I know the logo is sh1t but we're working on that:(

ALL feedback and opinions appreciated:D:D:D

~livEwirE~

• Advertisement
Advertisement