Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food guidelines for creches

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the HSE guidelines for food in creches? My creche is adding packet soups and sauces to the food it prepares. When approached they said that these are guidelines that have been set out by the HSE. I have checked the HSE website and contacted them with no luck. It is my understanding that these foods are high in salt and additives and should not be given to babies. If anyone can shed any light I would be grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

If the creche is saying that they are following the guidelines set out by the HSE, ask the creche for a copy of the guidelines they are following.

The creche that my daughter is in make a big point of saying that they only use fresh ingredients etc.

Edit: I found this after a search:

This is the guideline that was issued by the Department of Health and Children in 2004

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/preschool_guidelines.html

One of the reccomendations is this:

"Salt
    Avoid adding salt in cooking and at the table. Restrict the use of packet soups, stock cubes, packet sauces and other processed foods as they often have a high salt content. High levels of salt are difficult for the child’s body to handle and can cause health problems."

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PG24

Thanks for this. It is great. At least I have something I can refer to.

Advertisement