Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodbrook Glen, Bray

Options
  • 07-07-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

her good self and I are looking to buy a house in the next few months in around the south dublin/north wicklow area.

We have noticed some very nice houses cropping up in woodbrook and was wondering if theres anything we should know about the area?

I'm aware of the unfortunate asian girl getting stabbed nearby by her boyfriend/ex recently... but other than that is there anything to know about the area? It was an unfortunate event but doesnt seem to have anything to do with the area.

the area itself is ideal to what we want location wise, just hoping the low prices are desperate sellers rather than sh1te houses :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

It's been discussed in this thread recently http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272143

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Take a look at a previous thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055272143

Welcome to the Wicklow forum, btw

[edit] Damn you Smiler!!!! :D[/edit].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Cance--we just moved into our new house in Woodbrook very recently and so far we love the place. Neighbours are really nice, is very very handy to get into Dublin (timed 2 bus routes so far - 40 mins to top of Nassau St), excellent side of Bray cos don't have to deal with traffic etc..., very quiet, cute and friendly kids, and gorgeous houses from what we can see. I'd say some parts of the estate are nicer than others, and the prices are good (we, btw, paid much less than the asking price - is a buyer's market). Feel free to PM if you want any more info/advice and good luck with the househunt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the replies, exactly what i wanted to hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

I'm not sure if this has been fixed but up to the year before last getting out of the estate in the morning was an absolute nightmare during term time. Because there's two big estates and all those apartments as well. At least that's what it was like when I was in 6th year (finished first year of university).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not sure if this has been fixed but up to the year before last getting out of the estate in the morning was an absolute nightmare during term time. Because there's two big estates and all those apartments as well. At least that's what it was like when I was in 6th year (finished first year of university).

It can be pretty bad as a lot of people use Corke Abbey as a park and ride in the mornings. I think they may have changed the sequence in the last year or two to allow more cars out.

It's a pain in the evenings though - not just getting into Woodbrook Glen, but getting into Bray at all. I've often driven from town in 20 minutes, but been stuck on the slip road or the roundabout for as long again.

To repeat what's in the original thread - it's a very nice and quiet estate. I've not noticed any problems from the park, though I have seen broken booze bottles etc on occasion when walking through it.

Apart from the traffic (which is probably worse in the southern end of Bray), the only real problem is that it's a bit of a trek to a decent pub, and a long way from the DART stations (although it's right on the DART line).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was there not a Dart Station mooted for Corke Abbey/Woodbrook Glen? maybe thats on the back burner till we see what happens with the Pizarro development. (Think Dundrum shopping Centre along the dargle and on Golf Club lands behind woodbrook/corke abbey) If that goes ahead woodbrook will go from the worst placed estate in Bray to the best.

As for the traffic at 4-5pm rush hour. Its those poxy lights at Old Conna road/woodbrook junction. Old Conna gets too much time in the sequence. Ever notice how you can be sitting on the slip road and roundabout for 20 minutes and as soon as you get to that set of lights the traffic clears and its a quick enough run up to the mainstreet and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Calibos wrote: »
    Was there not a Dart Station mooted for Corke Abbey/Woodbrook Glen? maybe thats on the back burner till we see what happens with the Pizarro development. (Think Dundrum shopping Centre along the dargle and on Golf Club lands behind woodbrook/corke abbey) If that goes ahead woodbrook will go from the worst placed estate in Bray to the best.

I forgot to mention the new town centre actually - it will be interesting to see what happens. I don't know what the story is with the DART; I do remember talk about a station around there, but nothing since.

I don't agree that it's the worsed placed estate in Bray by any means though. It's not close to the DART or the town centre, but close to Shankill, the M11/M50, two 24 hour garages etc. Also, as an area itself, it really is nice and quiet.
    Calibos wrote: »

As for the traffic at 4-5pm rush hour. Its those poxy lights at Old Conna road/woodbrook junction. Old Conna gets too much time in the sequence. Ever notice how you can be sitting on the slip road and roundabout for 20 minutes and as soon as you get to that set of lights the traffic clears and its a quick enough run up to the mainstreet and beyond.

It's very bad there alright. The bus stop right by the lights doesn't help either. If the bus stop was closer to the roundabout and recessed into the enormous footpath, you would then be able to go around the bus and straight on or left as needs be.

They will seriously need to think about the traffic if that town centre development goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

eoin_s wrote: »
    They will seriously need to think about the traffic if that town centre development goes ahead.

Ffrom what i gather the OPW have completed the Cpo on all the land up to and including Heitons, for widening the Dublin road and castle street. About time too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

eoin_s wrote: »
    It's very bad there alright. The bus stop right by the lights doesn't help either. If the bus stop was closer to the roundabout and recessed into the enormous footpath, you would then be able to go around the bus and straight on or left as needs be.
    There is one good thing about that bus stop though because in the mornings sometimes the only way we could get out of the estate was when it stopped and noone was coming from the motorway. I think they may have fixed the getting out of Woodbrook problem a bit because they took a chunk out of the path at AXA so that people going left have a proper line. But I haven't been in a morning queue since it was done so I'm not sure if it worked or not.

It also is close to the Shanganagh park/ playing fields or whatever they're called.

I don't think that the new DART station was ever planned to be near us. But it still is ridiculously frustrating that I can almost see my house from the train but then I have to walk for half an hour (I admit I am a lazy walker) to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Just if you do read some of those old threads one person said anything south of the river is good and this is very untrue. Having lived on the dargle all my life i can say little bray is one of the nicest areas in bray. It was a bit dodgy for a time but in general all along the park are neighbourly people and such a gorgeous spot by the park and the river. Woodbrook is a handy spot and most houses look very nice, best of luck with it.

Advertisement